Question about Knight Ramrods

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First, thank you Knight Shooter for the pristine example of a LRH, it was exactly as described. A couple of comments before my question. The stock is beautiful, almost hate to hunt with it. As many of you know it is a little on the heavy side but I do really like it and I would be willing to take it elk hunting. That said, Knight shared with me they are coming out with some new camo pattern composite stocks and they will have a thumbhole that will fit the LRH, might try it. I also have taken the rear sight off and put a NECG N-106 peep on based on a post I read from Sabotloader (thank you). I am going to boresight it today but so far it looks like it will work fine with my front sight and is rock solid. We will see on how difficult it is to adjust,

So I am new to knight having owned TC mostly. The ramrod has a screw out extension and to use the barnes aligner you attach it to the fixed jag. It sticks out slightly beyond the barrel which does not concern me but I am wondering if two jags are going to add too much weight and stress to the ramrod. I have contemplated getting a second one from Knight but before I do anything I am curious if anyone has an opinion on this?

I am going to be testing some different loads so not sure I will end up using the Barnes TEZ or not. I have on hand a couple of versions of Shockwaves and I am going to try some bloodlines and the 300 gr redhots that do not require the aligner so this might be all moot.

Appreciate any thoughts you have on this.

Pike

Knight ram rods... they are a well made rod and will function well, but, I really do not use the factory rod. If you choose to use factory rod, TC makes a very short Universal Loading Jag that you can screw into the Knight rod and just leave it. It will extend out a small distance from the muzzle but will not interfere with shooting at all.

1624809617590.jpeg

Like I indicated, I normally make a new ram rod for the rifle with a TC Universal Rod kit.

T/C Universal Ramrod Aluminum | Sportsman's Warehouse (sportsmans.com)

This rod allows you to cut it to the length needed to fit your rifle.

With this rod and the purchase of a Lehigh Universal cleaning/loading jag.

Muzzleloader Range Rod Jag/Bullet Starter, .50 Caliber (lehighdefense.com)

With the rod and the jag I cut and assemble the rod to fit under the barrel of the rifle correctly.

This picture shows the rod and jag with the barrel of the rifle

Lehigh-451x230-CF.jpg

Hope some of this might help....

The extending part of the Knight rod is for Cleaning/Swabbing. I would not try using it for loading when screwed out (Extended). I have used the Barnes Aligner too but I just screw it on when I needed it and then removed it. The Barnes Aligner is tight to the bore so you cannot use it for cleaning or swabbing. I shoot mostly Lehigh CF bullets now and just use the standard Knight Jag for loading and have not seen any problem doing so. I do use a TC T-Handled short starter, even in the field, and it has the Brass jag shown in Sabotloaders post on it.

I replaced the knight factory ramrod that came with my Ultra-lite with a Gunn Innovation's solid aluminum ramrod paired with a SpinJag loader jag. You can trim the ramrod yourself or they can do it for you. The setup looks very similar sabotloader's. I kept the knight factory rod to have as a backup.
giRAMROD - custom-cut ramrod to fit your rifle
For cleaning and loading at the range, I use a solid brass range rod.

If you go with the spin jag rod, you can order it with a customized length so your loading jag doesn't stick out past the end of the barrel.

That said, I love the Knight rods. Personally, if I shoot a bullet that needs a special loading jag that can't be permanently attached, I just carry it and screw it in. doesn't take long, and I've not every needed a speedy second shot. food for thought

Good luck with your new rifle, they are great guns!

Thanks, I did decided to go with the spin jag and custom ramrod, should be here tomorrow. Was close between that and the Lehigh jag. I am going to use the knight ramrod as a backup just as you mentioned. Thanks.

Back