QUESTION: Can swabbing make a difference?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
I was shooting my .45 Patriot pistol yesterday at 35 yds. The first 2 shots were touching each other at 6:00 about 3 " low. The third shot was 5" higher at 1:00. I was using 3FG with a 200 gr. R.E.A.L. and a lightly lubed wad between ball & powder.

I was holding the same and the shot felt good. Could the fouling have produced that much of an error? I did not swab between shots.

I don't mean to seem rude, but why don't you try it? Nobody here knows what your gun will do. All they can do is guess.

Yes I imagine swabbing the fouling will help a great deal. I know with the inlines, it helped greatly. Without it, sometimes the next shot on a fouled bore wouldnt even be on target.

Of course you mean to be rude, Muley. That's your lovable nature.  :twisted: 

I was using some conicals along with a felt lubed wad and wanted to see which variable I should change first. Thank you, Jon. You too Muley.

With conicals and black powder you have to swab nearly every shot if you want accuracy.

I normally spit patch after each shot.

When shooting REAL's i'll clean after every 5th shot.

I have seen it work for some rifles and for some a dirty barrel worked better, just give it a try like Muley said.

Huntin_Dawg1215 said:
I have seen it work for some rifles and for some a dirty barrel worked better, just give it a try like Muley said.
SEE, it's not rude to tell the truth. It's the correct answer.

You have to try it to be sure. No matter what anybody tells you.

Damn! Was that rude again?  :clown:

Muley, I didn't say that the comment was rude; I said that you MEANT to be rude. :p

I never mean to be rude. I'm just being me.

I may change my name to Rude Muley.

I don't know him well enough to say if he is rude, but he is right about swabbing even if he is rude. lol

I figured that anybody who kills animals, and then butchers them. Shouldn't be the sensitive type.

Now how can you call us hunting types 'not sensitive' Pete ? :lol:
We are sensitive on the trigger are we not ?

Muley can't help being like he is. He's from Massachusetts. It's endemic up there. :twisted: 

I'm originally from Chicago but I left there at age 16 so most of it eventually wore off .. but some is still there. :Scucks:

Muley, you are right, I am not sensitive nor will I ever be. And I ant sure if I ever met anyone from Massachusetts that was sensitive, about the same for Chicago.

Tree huggers are not sensitive ...they're just plain nuts and looking for attention !

Pete around my neck of the woods if you hug a tree you better have a friend go with you . That is to remove you from the tree after the thorns get hold of you !

A tree hugger is someone who's against killing animals. You know, the warm fuzzy type who loves everything in nature. The sensitive type.

The enemy of the hunter.

Back