Quick detach or permanent mount?? help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenhead3

Reaction score
I just bought a Knight Master Hunter. What would everyone recommend for rings and bases. I have no real reason to detach unless it is an issue with cleaning the rifle.

Also, I am between the Leupold VX-1 and the Nikon Omega 3-9X40. Any opinions there? Possibly the Bushnell Elite 3200?????

Thanks! I am pumped to be back into blackpowder!!!

Marcus

Gloss but you can't beat the price for Warne QDs (verified by one purchaser). And a pair of Model: REMINGTON 541S, 541T Item No. 928910C $4.15 from
HERE will work nicely as bases.

Scope - nothing wrong with any of those that I'm aware of but I would go with the Leupold for a bit more flexible positioning. [/url]

So, quick detach is the way to go? Do you need to remove the scope everytime you clean the rifle?

In my opinion, QDs are absolutely the best way to go. Not only does it make cleaning the rifle easier, it protects the scope from exposure to some of the cleaners you might use on the rifle. Leupold QRs are also very good but require an expensive base set that is generally usable on just the one rifle. Warne rings will fit any Weaver-style base. Those gloss low QDs at $20 are as good as it gets, pricewise. Pair those with the bases, add the 2x7 Leupold and you would be set.

I use Warne QD rings and Warne bases. Both are steel. Pricey and heavier than alloy stuff, but way more sturdy and worth every nickel.

With Warne QD rings you can drop the scope to shoot the iron sights or do rifle maintanance, and not have to think twice whether it will be back to zero when you put it back on....

i use the leupold QRW's and they return to zero everytime

UC, where are you finding Warne QD rings for $20?!!! Let me know so I can buy a couple extras! Even with my LEO Firearms Instructor Discount, Warne QD's cost me nearly $50 a set from Brownell's...

I am not too concerned with an additional $25 to get the best setup I can. I am leaning now towards the 2-7x33 VariX-I. Would I use the low or medium rings from Warne? I obviously want the scope as close to the barrel without any worries.

Marcus

Linked up above - they only have gloss finish so click on the word gloss. The lows are 19.9x.

They are rebranded Warne QD rings. By the way, I believe the Leupold QRW rings are also the QD version of Warne 7.3 series rings.

I use the Leupold quick release system. I always take my scope off when I clean my guns and have never had one move from zero.

Underclocked said:
Linked up above - they only have gloss finish so click on the word gloss. The lows are 19.9x.

They are rebranded Warne QD rings. By the way, I believe the Leupold QRW rings are also the QD version of Warne 7.3 series rings.

Oh, the Cabelas rings. I have a couple sets of those on my centerfire rifles. Thanks...

QD's are the way to go. I have a Nikon scope on 1 but I really like the Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40
Frank

Underclocked said:

\
Checked Cabelas this morning, they no longer have these rings in QD, just standard Weaver style...

Good QR style rings are the way to go especially if you live in a state that doesn't allow scopes on ML's during the ML season.

The Warne style are the best, IMO. They are the only ones I will use. I have 3 sets of them. One set on my Extreme, one on my Hawkeye, and as soon as my base gets here a set on my AR-15.

Weird on the inventory thing. If you put a set of the $20 low gloss QDs in your cart - it says they are in stock.

Back