Quick note on the Gel Test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
FYI..

This is my second ( and probably final ) Ballistic Gel Test. My goal was to see how various elk bullet options would perform at the slower speeds likely associated at the POI associated with a longer shot. I used the ballistic table to calculate estimated speeds and found that at a max range was generally 250-300 yards ( I say max range is delivering 1200 FPE for an Elk ). At this yardage, these bullets are moving in the 1200-1300 FPS Range. ( starting at 2050 )

For the Test I used 10% Ballistic Gel ( the industry standard ) Created a 6" x 6" x 23" Block

I used Western Powders Estimated muzzle velocity and the ballistic tables to determine the 60 grains of BH209 at 50 yards would get me 1200-1300 FPS.... and it did.

At 50 yards I was confident enogh to shoot through my Chrony to verify POI speed.

My conclusion is that while I may be able to hit the target long range with High BC pointy bullets, thier ability to expand is greatly compromised. I have no idea where some of these cross the line from functional to no expansion but it must be a consideration if shooting at distance or with reduced charges.

Last edited:
FYI to put this in perspective:

A 300 Grain bullet shot with 100 grains of BH 209 will leave the muzzle somwhere around 1800 FPS. If the bullet has a BC of 0.25 ( average for a spire point ) it will be moving at ~1328 FPS at 150 yards.

My gel test would apply to you if you use the above load and may shoot beyond 100 yards.

FYI..

This is my second ( and probably final ) Ballistic Gel Test. My goal was to see how various elk bullet options would perform at the slower speeds likely associated at the POI associated with a longer shot. I used the ballistic table to calculate estimated speeds and found that at a max range was generally 250-300 yards ( I say max range is delivering 1200 FPE for an Elk ). At this yardage, these bullets are moving in the 1200-1300 FPS Range. ( starting at 2050 )

For the Test I used 10% Ballistic Gel ( the industry standard ) Created a 6" x 6" x 23" Block

I used Western Powders Estimated muzzle velocity and the ballistic tables to determine the 60 grains of BH209 at 50 yards would get me 1200-1300 FPS.... and it did.

At 50 yards I was confident enogh to shoot through my Chrony to verify POI speed.

My conclusion is that while I may be able to hit the target long range with High BC pointy bullets, thier ability to expand is greatly compromised. I have no idea where some of these cross the line from functional to no expansion but it must be a consideration if shooting at distance or with reduced charges.
Thats some fantastic work & info. Thanks for posting it with us. Great job with everything on the experiment.
Thats a great focal point you lead to as well, very important point to consider that so many over look/never consider as even part of the equation. Up until the last 1.5yrs I had no clue about a lot of this kind of stuff. Great journey learning & fun doin it.

In my 45 Super Disc, a 500+ Grain Conical. In my 50 Disc Elite, it will be the 300 Grain SST. I have them both shooting pretty good at 200 yards and in. I don't have many opportunites to stretch them out to 300 but will be working on it moving forward.
Just curious, what load are you using with the 500+ in the Super Disc?

Latest posts

Back