Rainy day double

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50bowhunter

Reaction score
Well on my 4th day hunting with my new triumph it happened, and boy did it happen. It was a steady-heavy rain most of the day, and with the cooler temps, I had high hopes for deer movement.

I set up on the edge of a hay field in between two standing corn fields. The trail cam at that spot revealed a new big 10 that introduced himself to the area. At 4:30, a big doe came into the field. She worked her way to about 50 yards and spotted me. She started to stomp and tell the world where I was, so I gave here a 250 gr reminder not to do that.

So after she sat down and kept quiet, I reloaded and sat back down. I saw one more deer come out at the same place as the doe, but it didn't hang out long. As darkness had almost completely taken over, I packed up my things and stood up to retrieve my doe. When I did I saw a huge silhouette over the rise. I sat back down and the deer walked over the rise toward me. I cranked my Vortex scope down to 3x to allow as much light as possible, and squeezed a strong quartering shot. When the smoke flew I lost sight of him but didn't see him running across the lower end of the field. I jumped up and took off running to see over the rise but didn't have to go far. After about 10 steps I saw him laying about 30 yards away from my doe. Both shots were about 50 yards, quartering to me. Both bullets entered the point of the shoulder and both died in their tracks. Not a bad way to spend an evening that most people wouldn't even open the gun safe for. The buck had just come from a fight. His right eye had a fresh hole in it and he had a big gash on his nose and top of his head.

Thanks to everyone who helped me with my gun issues a few months ago. Special thanks to flounder for hooking me up with a good deal on bullets.

T/C triumph bone collector
Leupold mounts
Vortex diamondback 3-9x40
777 pellets (2)
Hornady XTP 250gr .452
Harvester crush rib sabots

0b0f7278fe38da5d7b5bbfcee83bc96c.jpg
b871c4af0d76568688bf1cec900f97a0.jpg
d25462a3ee2562e1857b0ee7eb67fce4.jpg
4a21e9fc20d3d7bfba3e23e46ee5c557.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's fantastic ! Congrats, I bet your still smiling! :applause: :yeah: :partyman:

Nice going, I've never had a double.
Glad the bullets worked out.
Art

Congratulations on a double! :yeah:

Good to see another hunter who'll sit in the rain. I don't have many days free to hunt, so when I do I hunt. Unless it's torrential downpours, I'll head out. I don't necessarily like sitting out in the rain, so every time there's that little voice that says "you could just go back to bed instead of heading out in the rain at 4:30 am" I always remind myself no hunter ever shot a deer lying in bed or sittin on a couch. Your post is a great reminder that good things can still happen in a litte rain.

Tannhauser said:
Congratulations on a double! :yeah:

Good to see another hunter who'll sit in the rain. I don't have many days free to hunt, so when I do I hunt. Unless it's torrential downpours, I'll head out. I don't necessarily like sitting out in the rain, so every time there's that little voice that says "you could just go back to bed instead of heading out in the rain at 4:30 am" I always remind myself no hunter ever shot a deer lying in bed or sittin on a couch. Your post is a great reminder that good things can still happen in a litte rain.

Absolutely. The rut lasts only a week or two. Got to make hay while the sun is shinning

toytruck said:
Wow congrats!! Hope you have a lot of help working up all that meat. I'd like to see the buck that kicked your bucks butt... 8)

No kidding. I've got some pictures of some dandys this year. He was just the biggest I've seen so far this year. He was the second buck in 4 seasons I've killed on that farm that lost an eye from fighting. The first one wasn't as fresh as this one.
25736d474ab9cca2984d0eae493001b1.jpg

WV Hunter said:
Awesome, congrats! That is a nice buck for sure!
I can tell how happy you are because you are glowing :lol: :lol:

:mrgreen:

What state?
Yeah, its kind of hard to hide isn't it. I'm in Virginia.

50bowhunter said:
WV Hunter said:

What state?

Hey me too. Those are some nice VA bucks! Where bouts?

I'm in the NW part of the state, Frederick county, near WV line. I haven't seen a buck yet while on stand. :(
Hoping this little cold snap gets em going in my area. Normally its pretty hot by now.

WV Hunter said:
"50bowhunter" said:
"WV Hunter" said:

What state?

Hey me too. Those are some nice VA bucks! Where bouts?

I'm in the NW part of the state, Frederick county, near WV line. I haven't seen a buck yet while on stand. :(
Hoping this little cold snap gets em going in my area. Normally its pretty hot by now.
I live in rockingham co. I hunt here, Augusta, and these deer were killed in Orange Co.

Congrads on the Fine deer and nice bucks! :applause:

I will not let a good rain, even heavy, keep me home. But I do have some nice dry shacks on our property to sit in. I also have good rain gear and use it out in the nasty some though when I need to relocate to a spot with no shack. The damp is getting harder on the bones, but the rain don't bother them. I think if it is Very windy at the same time it is more the wind that makes them bed down and not move then the rain.

Latest posts

Back