ramrods

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I’ve read having the ramrod in will not help accuracy, it may or may not hurt accuracy. I never shoot at the range with the ramrod in so when hunting it’s removed it in just to keep everything the same. I honestly couldn’t tell you if it in or out makes a difference.

I Target Shoot almost Exclusively with my Muzzleloaders, I Shoot with the Ramrod OUT of the Gun, I do everything With a Range Rod. I usually don’t even Bother taking the Gun Ramrod along, they are left at home.

With the above said, If i plan to hunt, And i am Working on a Hunting Load, I Shoot with the Gun Ramrod in the Rifle :lewis:

I shoot and hunt with the ramrod off the rifle. I even took the ramrod guide clips off the rifle since they weren't being utilized. Just something else to snag on things. When I go to the range, I use the gun ramrod as a secondary range rod. When I go hunting, I use a CVA collapsible ramrod. Whatever way you choose to do it....rod in vs rod out.....do it the same way when hunting as you did when sighting in.

Last edited:
I never use my ramrod these days.
But I do take them out when I shoot.
Back in the day I would leave them in and saw no difference in Accuracy whether I took it out or left in.
To me it’s a bunch of bull like they say you have to season your bore and break it in.

I use a range rod exclusively at the range, but the rammer is always on the rifle.
I don't think in or out matters. What DOES matter is its position. The rammer must be in a consistent position shot to shot. The last thing I check, before putting the rifle on the rest, is the rammer all the way seated.
Capandball ,on YouTube, showed that this can matter. He was shooting a Lorenze musket and found that with the rammer against its forward stop, the shot went higher than when it was fully seated. The rifle was also more accurate with the rammer against the forward stop.
Once again a basic lesson is confirmed. Consistency is require for accuracy.
As my rammer is in when hunting, its in when I'm at the range too.

Ive found a definate difference in accuracy between in and out . I find my spot hunting and out it comes . I Want a collapsible to hunt with . The super flexible derilin of my White ramrod even changes point of impact . Its got a little bow to it that i must align with my mark on it to lesson the p.o.i. change when stalking but i sure wish i had a collapsible one . That 1st shot is THE one most important !!!! It does help to make it have the least stress imparted to the barrel ive found . Getting that aint always so easy and still have it secure . A little notch in my tc rugged rods helps right where the spring contacts the rod to keep it in carrying around stalking or walking . The rest is carefull alignment .

Last edited:
I have also read that. I'm not much of a target shooter, my intrest is in developing hunting loads. With that in mind I always shoot with the ramrod in since I'd always have it in the woods.
Practicing range shooting should be done in the same manner with the same process & procedure & equipment as used in the applicating you intend using it all in. I even used my Sumit Viper self climber tree stand to practice shooting from different elevations Like I actually hunt in most of the time. For ground hunting I practiced shooting from one knee to standing freehand & using whatever tree trunk or branch to brace from. If you hunt with the RR in ( which most of us have ML's designed with the RR in ) then practicing at the range should be done exactly the same way. Great post & topic

Ive found a definate difference in accuracy between in and out . I find my spot hunting and out it comes . I Want a collapsible to hunt with . The super flexible derilin of my White ramrod even changes point of impact . Its got a little bow to it that i must align with my mark on it to lesson the p.o.i. change when stalking but i sure wish i had a collapsible one . That 1st shot is THE one most important !!!! It does help to make it have the least stress imparted to the barrel ive found . Getting that aint always so easy and still have it secure . A little notch in my tc rugged rods helps right where the spring contacts the rod to keep it in carrying around stalking or walking . The rest is carefull alignment .
I took the under rib and thimbles right off of my Renegade. I either use a range rod or i have a collapsible rod if i get to take it hunting. All my inlines are shot with rods in place.

I took the under rib and thimbles right off of my Renegade. I either use a range rod or i have a collapsible rod if i get to take it hunting. All my inlines are shot with rods in place.
If everything is in alignment i dont see Much difference but yet there is one slightly . Having it in there with no stress is the key . Then ya gotta overcome a rattle with moleskin lol !!! At least thats my findings . Im glad your lucks been better muzzy , i nearly pulled my hair out fiddleing with the dam things !!! Lmao !!! Theres probably a head Dr term for all this ya know !!! Where did you get your colapsible rod ??? Id love to have one .

Last edited:
I have never seen any difference in accuracy with the rod in or out. That would be with 5 different guns inline to flintlocks. With some guns this could be a case but as noted I have never seen a change Good thread

Muzzleloaders.com sells the CVA collapsible ramrod. This rod, I believe, has slip fit joints.

Another option is to look at the SpinJag site, for they sell a 4-pc, solid aluminum ramrod with 10-32 threads on both ends. This rod has 10-32 threaded joints.

If everything is in alignment i dont see Much difference but yet there is one slightly . Having it in there with no stress is the key . Then ya gotta overcome a rattle with moleskin lol !!! At least thats my findings . Im glad your lucks been better muzzy , i nearly pulled my hair out fiddleing with the dam things !!! Lmao !!! Theres probably a head Dr term for all this ya know !!! Where did you get your colapsible rod ??? Id love to have one .
Like Bruce said. I bought a CVA collapsible. Its too short for a couple guns. So i was looking at the spinjag rod and realized i have the same thing in an old cleaning kit i got from my dad. I also bought a second CVA collapsible and took them both apart and used one section from one to add and lengthen the other. They have enough bungie to make it another section. But you can find that stuff at hardware stores. Collapsibles are no good for pulling patches but handy while hunting. My old mans cleaning kit had a stout three piece brass rod in it that works really well as a range rod or travel/hunting rod too. Some assembly required tho.

Like Bruce said. I bought a CVA collapsible. Its too short for a couple guns. So i was looking at the spinjag rod and realized i have the same thing in an old cleaning kit i got from my dad. I also bought a second CVA collapsible and took them both apart and used one section from one to add and lengthen the other. They have enough bungie to make it another section. But you can find that stuff at hardware stores. Collapsibles are no good for pulling patches but handy while hunting. My old mans cleaning kit had a stout three piece brass rod in it that works really well as a range rod or travel/hunting rod too. Some assembly required tho.
How long is it muzzy , that cva job ?? Does it work for a 24 to 26 " barrel ?? I wanna put a spin jag on it too so thats a couple extra inches . Are better ones available ??? The Accura has a long barrel does it work on those ???

Always shoot and hunt with them in, for all my rifles. For hunting, I can't imagine a ramrod being in making enough of a difference in most cases to warrant not using it. Competition or long range, maybe it makes sense to dial in without.

Always shoot and hunt with them in, for all my rifles. For hunting, I can't imagine a ramrod being in making enough of a difference in most cases to warrant not using it. Competition or long range, maybe it makes sense to dial in without.
You may or may not be suprised . I know im not wasteing my time in doing it . Ive tested , i saw . Ive also grown to like it out on stand if needed for use . I try to make that unneeded but ya never know . Accuracy afield means Alot more to me than shooting paper . Its my thing and i figure i owe the deer that much to be quick and painless as possible !!!

Latest posts

Back