Range Finders..Archery and beyond

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeerNut

Reaction score
I recently used a Bushnell sport rangefinder on my latest archery hunt and found its performance dismal at best. I needed to trigger the laser upto 7-8 times before getting a reading on close targets (under 100 yards). I tried to range the antlers of a 175 inch buck bedded in front of me and could not get a reading no matter how much I tried. Is it too much to expect a rangefinder to range antlers at 45 yards? I could occasionally get a quick accurate reading if it was a vehicle sized object at 150 yards or less, but this isn't the performance I expected.
If I spend the money and buy a Leica Rangemaster 900 scan, can I expect better results. And by better, I really mean flawless results, or am I expecting too much?

I would love to hear about your experiences.

Deer Nut, what were the light conditions at the time. I've got one and it works well in good light but it's iffy in low light of fog. My hunting partner also has a Bushnell but it's a higher end one that he uses mainly for golf and it works when mine doesn't.

That's interesting, because I ran into problems I when it was pre-dawn and also under very light misting conditions. This doesn't have a "mode" option, but originally I didn't think it mattered. I'm guessing now that I was wrong.
Its looking like the old cliche, you get what you pay for is biting me in the a$$ again.

Mine's a cheaper model but it serves me well. I rarely stalk game but hunt from fixed blinds. I've found that if a deer appears suddenly, there is rarely time to use the range finder anyway. I spend a lot of my time in the blind watch and I use the ranger finder to range landmarks around me. When a deer appears I have a good idea of how far he is. It's particularly beneficial when bow hunting.

I own 3 rangefinders. Still have the first on I ever bought. In my mind, they have all functioned almost perfectly. But some things they just won't do. Ranging antlers is one of them. There's really just not enough to reflect I wouldn't think. Ranging close targets however, IS one of them. The little Nikon 400 is surprisingly good at RANGE-FINDING. I have ranged down to 9 yards with the little Nikon. It DOES have a smallish objective that to some, limit its low light use. I have ranged deer at 550yds with it. 400 yard rangefinder, mind you. On the Nikon you hit the button once and crosshairs come up, hit it again and you get the range! I RARELY have EVER had to hit the button again. This will be my first season with my Leica Geovid 10X42s. SO FAR...they have worked perfectly. The Geovids emphasis is on binoculars with a rangefinder. We'll see how it does this fall.

2006huntingpics%20259.jpg

Thanks guys,

I RARELY have EVER had to hit the button again.

This is the part that bothered me the most. Even if it didn't range the antlers, shouldn't it have given a range for something.....the hill behind perhaps? It just continued to give NO reading. The batteries are new, so I discounted the idea it was a low battery issue.

As RAF suggested, I'm wondering if the light mist had an affect or the low light condition. I'm still thinking its because its a cheap POS.

I also have the Nikon Prostaff 440 rangefinder and it ranges items fine. The only downfall I have with this model is that the glass on the eye-piece fogs up too easily from body heat. This can be frustrating, but I use the rangefinder to range landmarks that way when the deer come by I have a pretty good idea of the yardage. I don't think I have ever ranged a deer before pulling the trigger.

DeerNut said:
If I spend the money and buy a Leica Rangemaster 900 scan, can I expect better results. And by better, I really mean flawless results, or am I expecting too much?

I would love to hear about your experiences.

Yes,

I had the same experience with the bottom of the line bushnell. Last year I bought a Leica 1200 and really like it! I am not keen on the size but I do see they have a new one out and it looks like the ticket! The Leica has a good 7x monocular and ranging is quick and precise. I have a hard time not recommending it. I have considered unloading it for a set of Geovids but dont know if that would be a solid move or not.

Deernut. When you say it was misty, that reminds me of a morning a couple of seasons ago. We had fog and deer at 100 yds were a shadow. I tried my range finder and got reading of 10 yds. I'm sure it was all the moisture in the air reflecting the beam.

Back