Range Report 4/12

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Hope everyone is having a great Easter!

Mel and I were lucky enough to have some time to sneak out and have a great day afield together. Not only did we take some time to put some trail cams back out on the property we hunt but we also did some more spring scouting/shed hunting and also spent some time at the range working on two guns on which I recently replaced the optics.

While we were very happy to get some time to get the range work done I must say it was a little unfortunate that the wind was blowing a steady 20-25 mph while we were there, with gusts well into the 30's. Determined not to let that slow us down we decided to limit our distance to 75 yds which in all reality was not all that bad. The reason being my primary goal for the day was simply to get the guns roughly sighted in seeing as I have plenty of time to ring the last of the accuracy out of them before the season.

The two guns we were working on and recent scope updates are as follows:

Savage 210...On this gun I recently replaced my old VX-II 2-7x33 Heavy Duplex reticle scope with a Leupold VX-III 3.5-10x40 w/ B&C reticle and upgraded the old Weaver QD rings to Warne Maxima QD rings. Additionally, I just finished fine tuning the weight of pull on the recently installed SAV-2 trigger. Related upgrades included, replacing the plastic trigger guard with a factory steel guard, installing Kevin Rayhill's savage bolt lift kit, (reduces required bolt lift pressure and smoothes lift), and installing a Keving Rayhill custom bolt handle, (The handle is 1/2" longer than standard to decrease bolt lift and to improve camming distance.)

Savage 10ML...This gun is such a true gem I had only a simple upgrade to be make and that was essentially a reticle upgrade where I replaced the older Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 plex reticle scope in Talley screw lock rings with a Kahles 3-9x40 w/ multiplex reticle (TDS) in the more field friendly lever lock rings .

Range

Knowing this range work was coming up I recently took my friend up on his offer to sell me a bunch of boxes of Winchester Partition slugs at a decent price to do the work. While I know these slugs don't shoot the best in my gun I really didn't want to pay premium prices for ammo while simply sighting in. Of course given the windy conditions today that turned out to be a wise decision. Fortunately, the Partitions got me to where I wanted to be very quickly and then I took a quick three shot group some Winchester XP3's I had laying around, (they are prove 2"+ performers in this gun), simply to see if I had gotten the scope reasonably sighted in. Once I had determined that I was reasonably close with both the MZ and 210 I called it a day. With the MZ, I actually had my hunting loads with me and the gun 100% ready to go afield. With the 210, in light of the wind conditions, Iwill be returning to the range with my preferred Remington Core Lokt loads to complete the final sighting in once shooting at 100yds will be more practical.

Chrono result: While I didn't record all of the chrono results here are a number of representative readings to give an idea of what velocities I was getting in the Savage's 24" barrel.

Winchester Partition Gold 2 3/4 1900fps advertised, shells less than 1yr old

Winchester XP3 2 3/4 2000 fps advertised, shells several years old

pic #1.
This was the only three shot group I took with the XP3's at the end of the day simple to confirm that the bulk of my sighting work was done, noting that I was shooting into a 20+MPH left to right wind. (Certainly met my simple goal for the day.)

pic #2
Best group of the day once again went to Mel! This group measured under 1" at 75yds and was shot with the 10ML.

pic #3
My best group was 1.6" at 75yds and not surprisingly was also shot with the 10Ml. Low shot was the last shot.

pic #4
Savage 210

Pic #5 and #6
Mel knocking out another fine group!

Pic #7 and 38

The closest we came to finding any sheds..

----------------------

range412026.jpg

range412022.jpg

range412027.jpg

range412014.jpg

range412004.jpg

range412005.jpg

range412016.jpg

range412015.jpg

Thanks for the report Jeff! Mel seems to be a really great shot! 8)

JC,

Nice report. Jackets seem to be required range wear even in April.

Do you have any Hornady 20 ga. SST hulls???

Greg

Jc,

The SST hulls are laoding great and are straight walled. I have some Federal cases loaded that were 3 inch hulls and I cut them down on a ban saw to 2 3/4 inch.

Only a roll crimp slug hull can be reloaded with a slug load. The star crimped field hulls WILL NOT roll crimp.

Federal or Fiochi will do.

Greg

Did some more shooting this weekend...

My current goal, and the reason behind adding the Kahles scope with the TDS reticle to my 10-ML, is to increase my mid range abilities with the gun to ranges out to 200yds.

Along those lines I am working to slightly increasing the velocity of my load. While I had been shooting 57gr N-120 with the HPH 12 and 275 XPB and getting exceptional accuracy I was only achieving a little over 2000fps. Ideally I want to get the load closer to 2300, assuming I can keep the accuracy close to what I was achieving.

While I still have some more work to do, things came along pretty well this weekend. After shooting both 60gr and 59gr loads it looks like the 59gr load is just the ticket I am after. One of the reasons being that the 60gr is simply too hot a load if the barrel is even remotely warm. (I was blowing sabots even on a cool spring day.)

Interestingly enough I found that I was losing over 100 fps with the HPH 24's instead of the HPH 12's. That is really unfortunate because one of the better groups of the day was actually very first group with 60gr N-120 and the hph-24 with the 275 xpb.

In any case, I think I am pretty close to get the new scope and new load worked out...once I make another range trip and know for sure I will post those results as well.

JC

range412189.jpg

Above 2300 fps...No surprise, the two sabots on the right resulted in flyers.

range412192.jpg

jc-

Looks good! I can't get N-120 lcoally so I've used H4198 as my "hot" load. Have you ever tried .458 bullets in the harvester black crush rib sabot? My 10ml really likes the tight fit that results from this combination.

younghunter_86 said:
jc-

Looks good! I can't get N-120 lcoally so I've used H4198 as my "hot" load. Have you ever tried .458 bullets in the harvester black crush rib sabot? My 10ml really likes the tight fit that results from this combination.

With the consistent results I have been getting with all of the variations of the N-120 load/HPH-12's/275 XPB I really have no reason to "leave fish to find fish" as the old fisherman's saying goes...

JC

Latest posts

Back