Range Report...pics and chrono #'s

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I hit the range on Saturday to do some more testing of various 12 and 20 ga sabot rounds with my slug guns as well as to do some shooting with my Savage 10ml.

I can safely say that the day went extremely well despite the constant 15-20+ Mph winds. While I did not get an opportunity to shoot all of the guns I wanted to work on, the three I did shoot shot incredibly well. Importantly, I was able to compose a great deal more information on velocity readings.

I started the day with my first shot from the 10ml with a hunting load that I intend to shoot this year, (58 gr N-120, 275gr Barnes XPB, Harvester sabot). I was very pleased to see that first ?money shot? touching the edge of the bulls eye at 100yds.

Later on, I switched to shooting another cheaper load ( 57gr N-120, 300gr Hornady XTP, Harvestor sabot) in order to practice shooting from different position. The goal of this exercise was of course to see if my POI was changing when not using the benchrest. Amazingly, with both Mel and I took turns shooting from the bench, off the top of a backpack, and then off a bipod for a combined total of 6 shots. We were able to shoot an approximately 2inch six shot group at 100yds, very good accuracy when considering two different shooters were involved?.(pics below)

JC

135_3546.jpg

134_3472.jpg

Slug Gun Report 20ga?.

My goal for the day concerning the Tar-Hunt Mountaineer was to retest a few different shells and to establish which shells provide the best combination of accuracy, cost and speed. Unfortunately, due to the high winds it was difficult to get a true sense of absolute accuracy and decided that I would just try putting more shells down range and hope to get a ?relative? sense of accuracy by comparing the results to each other, knowing full well the wind would be opening up the groups. (Additionally, I moved the target in to 75yds in order to reduce the winds overall effects on the test results.)

Outside of the chrono numbers the one big surprise I found was the consistency of the accuracy of both the Hornady SST?s and the Winchester Partitions. Despite shooting some groups in rapid succession both of these loads were holding reasonable tight groups even when shot with a smoking hot barrel.

In the first picture below this group was actually 5 Winchester Partitions shot in rapid succession and resulted in an approximately 2.5 in group. In the second picture, the six shots were taken with 3 Partition shells and 3 Hornady shells in order to determine the difference in the POI between the two brands of shells. Of particular note the two shots on the left side of the group were both the 3rd shots of the particular brand of shells shot when the barrel was at its hottest. Either way I was very surprised to see the two different shells group that close to each other given the difference in design, the barrel heat and the wind?

JC

20ga Hornady SST?s?Tar Hunt Mountaineer

20ga Partition Gold?Tar Hunt Mountaineer

20ga Remington Core-Lokt Ultra?Tar Hunt Mountaineer

134_3473.jpg

134_3474.jpg

Slug gun report 12 ga?

Since purchasing the 20ga Tar-Hunt Mountaineer and a new 12ga Browning A-bolt shotgun I have not spent much time shooting Savage 210. This gun has always been a great gun for me but has recently been lost in the shuffle went it comes time to shooting it at the range. Therefore, I decided that I would spend some time retesting its accuracy to get a better handle of its capabilities. I can safely say I am happy I did?

I shot three, three shot groups with the 210 and with the exception of the last shot taken with the Winchester Partition, which I believe I yanked a bit myself, the gun shot incredibly as can be seen below?

Chronograph numbers...

12ga Remington Core-Lokt Ultra?Savage 210

12ga Partition Gold? Savage 210

12ga Hornady SST?s? Savage 210

135_3536.jpg

135_3550.jpg

135_3543.jpg

CORVAIR said:
Impressive testing and analysis. Does your shoulder hurt? 8)

Corvair,

Surprisingly no...however, the 5 boxes of 12ga shells I shot while skeet shooting with a light weight Spanish 12ga the previous weekend did put a heck of a hurting on me... :eek:

JC

JC,

Nice report and good shooting. When do we get to see your results with the new A-Bolt?

MK85Shooter said:
JC,

Nice report and good shooting. When do we get to see your results with the new A-Bolt?

Hey MK,

I have actually done some preliminary testing of that gun already. However, that was done on the same day that I sighted in the scope and I was already a bit burned out before I got a chance to do any solid accuracy testing. Just the same, by the time I was done with all the shooting this weekend I knew it would not be fair to test the A-bolt as my accuracy would have fallen off a cliff if I continued shooting.

In either case I will be doing some more shooting soon and I will be sure to report the results, although I must say it will be difficult to improve upon the consistency the Savage 210 and Tar-Hunt provided.

JC

Have you done any testing with Federal Premium Barnes Expanders? They have shot well for me.

Latest posts

Back