Range Report: T/C Encore Endeavor **PICS**

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWThomas

Reaction score
So I got my Warne steel weaver style base and Warne steel weaver style high rings from Midway USA Thursday. I took them to work on Friday along with my Nikon Omega BDC scope and my T/C Encore Endeavor and mounted the scope. We have a Simmons boresighting kit at work so I went ahead and did that after the scope was mounted where I wanted it.

My good buddy Jim (gobbler getter) offered to take me shooting today and I jumped at the opportunity as I always do. I set up at 100 yards and got everything ready...

OmegaScope1.jpg

EndeavorRangeSession0902213.jpg

EndeavorRangeSession090221.jpg

EndeavorRangeSession0902214.jpg

The gentleman who sold me this rifle (flint head) told me it liked 110 grains of BH209 and a 250g Shockwave. So I started off with 110 volumetric grains of BH209, 250g Shockwaves, and Remington STS 209 Primer. I didn't swab between shots because I was just trying to get it dialed in initially.

The first shot was way off to the right and almost completely off the plywood. I guess the boresighter I used wasn't that great. But the elevation was almost perfect. I adjusted about 8 inches to the left and that got it on paper. The first shot after the adjustment is the one on the lower left. The second shot is the one on the right. And the third shot is the one in the middle closest to the bull.

EndeavorRangeSession0902215.jpg

I adjusted the scope a little more based on triangulation of this group, swabbed the bore a little and went for a 5 shot group. This time I tried 120g of BH209. Again, I didn't swab between any of these shots. The first shot is the one off to the right. The second, third, and fourth shots are the ones knotted up together. And the fifth shot is the one at twelve o'clock.

EndeavorRangeSession0902216.jpg

I decided that the gun liked 120g better than 110g based on the groups. So I decided to try shooting a group with the condition of the rifle the way it would be on a hunt. I swabbed the bore clean, pulled the breech plug and wiped it down, and then fired off a fouling primer. I repeated this procedure after each shot to keep the bore in the barely fouled condition it will be in when I hunt. Here is the result...

EndeavorRangeSession0902217.jpg

I could almost cover all three shots with one of the pasteys that came with the targets. Needless to say I am very impressed with this rifle! :D That was the last of my Shockwaves so I just adjusted the scope down 4 clicks and right 2 clicks, set my turrets to zero, and went on to try some different loads.

I decided to stick with 120g of BH209 because the Endeavor seems to like that amount. First I tried a Barnes 285g Spit Fire MZ. Man was that thing tight! I almost didn't get it down the clean bore. It's the shot on the left of the bull. Next I tried a Barnes 290g T-EZ and it loaded with about the same pressure as the Shockwave. It's the hole on the right of the bull. And last I tried a Hornaday 300g .44cal XTP in a Harvester green crush rib sabot. It loaded fine also. It's the hole on the far right.

EndeavorRangeSession0902218.jpg

I was satisfied with the results I got at 100 yards so I decided to try 200 yards. I moved the target back, cleaned the bore and breech plug, and loaded up with 120g BH209, Barnes 290g T-EZ, and a Federal 209 primer (I ran out of Remington primers). I put the second to last circle of the BDC reticle on the bull and here are the results...

EndeavorRangeSession0902219.jpg

The wind was gusting and I was trying to time the gusts for my shots. I aimed dead center on the target for each shot. You can see three of my five shots off to the right in the plywood. That is what wind can do to a muzzleloader shot. The other two were fired when the wind died down.

All and all I'm very happy and very impressed with this combination. I think I will be shooting 250g bullets out of it from now on. As long as I'm just hunting deer and hogs. If I decide to hunt something larger I will adjust accordingly. This rifle was very comfortable to shoot and the amount of recoil felt was minimal compared to other rifles I have fired.

I also must note that the Speed Breech XT is absolutely AWESOME! I am totally spoiled on this thing and love not having to use a tool. It never got stuck and was super easy to remove after each shot. Also, there was absolutely no blowback. I checked after each shot and there was ZERO fouling to be seen. Aparently T/C has it figured out with this breech plug.

I'd like to give a big thanks to Jim for taking me shooting and being a great friend to hang out with. And to Mark (flint head) for selling me such an awesome muzzleloader. And also I'd like to thank everyone who helped me with tips and advice to get this thing going. YOU GUYS ARE "DA GOODS"!

thanks for the info ,glad u got a shooter ,also glad that the BARNES were on target ..i was not worried about the SHOCKWAVES 250 gr, they are awsome in my ENCORE also ..

boy it feels good to see that u have no snow on the ground.

Awesome shooting Spencer! I'm tickled everything worked out for ya buddy... good luck with it on the hog hunt! :wink:

Looks like the critters are in deep doo doo when that rifle hits the woods. Good shootin' there buddy.

nice shooting and a very nice looking set up you have there... I like the looks of that rifle.

She's a beauty. Good shooting. Ya got a winner!

Good luck with it.

I was looking at your pictures there.. sure is a pretty rifle. Does that stock take the bite out of recoil from that rifle like they claim? I shouldered one of them Encores years back and did not like it. I shouldered an Optima once and hated it. But I thought, I could get used to that.

That load should be all you would ever need to hunt with.

cayuga said:
I was looking at your pictures there.. sure is a pretty rifle. Does that stock take the bite out of recoil from that rifle like they claim? I shouldered one of them Encores years back and did not like it. I shouldered an Optima once and hated it. But I thought, I could get used to that.

Cayuga i have the same stock on my ENCORE [i switched stocks] and it does nothing for recoil ..the big difference is the LIMBSAVER recoil pad that T/C put on that stock ...

cayuga said:

It feels very smooth and is a true pleasure to shoot. But being that I haven't fired an Encore with a regular (non-flextech) stock, I can't really make an accurate assessment as to whether it reduces a lot of recoil. I can say that the Limbsaver pad is very soft and almost feels like it's filled with gel. I'm sure the majority of the smoothness can be attributed to it.

for "black powder"

the stock on you encore 209 is a pro hunter, it's not the same as the endeavor.

T/C [1] BONE COLLECTOR [TRIUMPH]

[2] PRO HUNTER

[3] ENDEAVOR -------
' all 3 have the same rear stock

" FLEX TECH STOCK

the BONE COLLECTOR [TRIUMPH] rear stock will not fit on the ENCORE ,PRO HUNTER or the ENDEAVOR it does not have the same frame.
'

thanks SWT you have given my some awesome info to go and work on with my Omega. That by the way is really great shooting. I was wondering how you got on with the scope. Obviously you love it. Thats a shooter.

Stompie said:
thanks SWT you have given my some awesome info to go and work on with my Omega. That by the way is really great shooting. I was wondering how you got on with the scope. Obviously you love it. Thats a shooter.

It's definitely a shooter. The scope is solid as a rock and sits exactly where I want it. I have a gigantic head so the high rings are perfect for me. :) I also love that this rifle shoots best with 120g rather than 100g with my Genesis. That just gives me that little bit of extra velocity and energy. And the huge thing I really love is the fact that this rifle has absolutely ZERO blowback! T/C definitely hit a home run with this rifle! :prayer:

SW

I was looking at the Warne high rings and they state on their web site that they are .525 high. (almost 9/16 of a inch) Could you measure yours from the bottom of the scope to the top of the bases and let us know what the dimension is.

Thanks Don C

minst7877 said:
SW

I was looking at the Warne high rings and they state on their web site that they are .525 high. (almost 9/16 of a inch) Could you measure yours from the bottom of the scope to the top of the bases and let us know what the dimension is.

Thanks Don C

Sure thing! I'll try the best I can with the scope mounted.

Here's the best I could do without removing the scope. You can't see it very well, but the bottom of the scope is just a little over a half inch from the base...

RingHeight.jpg

Latest posts

Back