Range Rod vs Rifle Rod on Loading - Optima V2

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rvrrat14

Reaction score
New guy. Fixing to shoot my rifle for the first time in the coming days. I’ve read how to measure the range rod and mark it for Empty and Loaded. But when I’m in the field, I’ll be using the rod that came with the rifle, CVA Optima V2. The range rod is much longer than the rifle rod, so it appears that the rifle rod cannot be marked accordingly. I assume I use the rifle ramrod AS IS.

In the field; Question
When loading a bullet (bore driver FTX), place in the barrel and push down, followed by the knuckle saver bullet starter, then the rifle ramrod. The ramrod has a palm saver on one end and a recessed threaded end on the other. I assume the recessed end will be used to seat the bullet to the powder, with no additional add-ons, correct?

I suggest taking the palm saver off the ramrod and use that end to push down your bullet, that's what I do. I don't like the recessed end for loading, not much there to engage the bullet. It can be used that way, just don't like it! All my other ML rifles don't have a palm saver attached, only CVA did that as far as I see. I keep the palm saver in my pocket for loading to make it easier on the palm, just place over the ramrod no need to attach.
Don't forget to mark your rifle ramrod when loaded so you know if its loaded or not!

I suggest taking the palm saver off the ramrod and use that end to push down your bullet, that's what I do. I don't like the recessed end for loading, not much there to engage the bullet. It can be used that way, just don't like it! All my other ML rifles don't have a palm saver attached, only CVA did that as far as I see. I keep the palm saver in my pocket for loading to make it easier on the palm, just place over the ramrod no need to attach.
Don't forget to mark your rifle ramrod when loaded so you know if its loaded or not!
Thanks for the help!
From what I read, the Bore Driver and Power Belt type bullets are slightly undersized and are easier to load. I’m gonna try and use it as is first. After a few shots I may very well have to switch. I’ll keep it in mind Toy! Also, I’ll mark the ramrod after my first loading session. I’ve tried to measure out the barrel, rod, plug, etc. and got a rough idea. It looks as if its going to go all the way to the brass end on the palm saver side, roughly. Two IMR pellets and Bore Driver bullet.

I appreciate all the input I get as I‘m old enough to know nothing replaces experience.

Thanks again.

I like using orange tape on my field rods, it usually slides thru the barrel thimbles easily and doesn't come off. There are many ways to mark your rod, just make sure you do and always check it when loading.
EtG31LM.jpg

There are many types of bullet loading jags available, cheaper to more expensive. You want one that will not smash the tip of your bullet. I prefer the ones that spin with the bullet when seated. The one picutured is a cheaper brass one and fits many different pointed bullets well without smashing the tip when loaded.
vNQ8k12.jpg

d4VDAXi.jpg

csOyxFU.jpg

I like using orange tape on my field rods, it usually slides thru the barrel thimbles easily and doesn't come off. There are many ways to mark your rod, just make sure you do and always check it when loading.
EtG31LM.jpg

There are many types of bullet loading jags available, cheaper to more expensive. You want one that will not smash the tip of your bullet. I prefer the ones that spin with the bullet when seated. The one picutured is a cheaper brass one and fits many different pointed bullets well without smashing the tip when loaded.
vNQ8k12.jpg

d4VDAXi.jpg

csOyxFU.jpg
Yessir. I bought a 4” extension that fits my bullets well, as well as the 3” extension that came with the rifle. They both fit the Hornady Bore Driver FTX/Flex Tip.

My CVA ramrod that came with rifle will be close to 22” in length when loaded. It comes almost up to where the brass jag/Palm Save begins. Unloaded, it will simply bottom out on the palm saver.

I’ve marked my Range Rod @ 24 7/16” UNLOADED; and approx. 22” Loaded, which will be verified/marked upon my first loading.

I use a spin jag or tc jag like Buckdoehunter posted and mark my rifle rods (loaded witness mark) with a silver sharpie. Tape of any kind never stays put for me. I have a similar elk antler “palm saver” with a shallow hole for use at the range.

EtG31LM.jpg

vNQ8k12.jpg

d4VDAXi.jpg

csOyxFU.jpg
Why the orange, is there a difference or do you just prefer it?

Latest posts

Back