Range Rod?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaska viking

Reaction score
Curious as to what advantage a range rod provides. Why not just use the rod that comes with the gun? It seems to me that one would simply take a few shots, swab the bore with the gun's rod, take a few more shots, repeat. Am I missing something?

:think:
I use my range rod for loading at the range and cleaning the rifle. I only use the ramrod under the barrel for loading when I'm hunting. The range rod takes on more abuse then the ramrod. The range rod is going to be longer and this will allow you to clean the barrel with patches or brushes without having to deal with a shorter ramrod once you remove the breech plug. IMHO........... :huh?:

Ray............... :yeah:

Exactly has Hawgslayer said and most range rods have a handle as well. I use the Knight Ultimate range rod but I don't think they are available anymore.

I have had factory rods fail. Meaning they loose ends, and in one case (wooden one) broke. The range rod is much stronger. Also usually they are longer. That makes them Easier to put a masking tape witness mark on then, a bore guide, and a quality load/cleaning jag. Also I use them for cleaning the rifle. The factory one stays for perhaps a second shot when hunting, and for presentation of the rifle. The range rod is for everything else. I like a good heavy stainless steel one.

Hawgslayer summed it up nicely. I only use the rod on the gun to check the witness mark after the gun has been bouncing in the atv scabbard for a while. It's been years since I actually loaded with it.

alaska viking said:
Curious as to what advantage a range rod provides. Why not just use the rod that comes with the gun? It seems to me that one would simply take a few shots, swab the bore with the gun's rod, take a few more shots, repeat.
Am I missing something?

You are missing a brass bore brush. The only thing I use a jag for is loading the bullet. A brush gets into the grooves better for swabbing and cleaning. That is why most-of-us use two rods at the range. Another reason is some of the manufacturer ramrods are just not very strong and powders like Blackhorn seem to work best, when it takes some effort to load the sabot/bullet.

What Ray said... :yeah: and another good idea is to use a .54 cal. brush in your .50 cal. barrel to really get into those grooves in the rifling. A gunshop owner told me that years ago, I'm still using his idea!!

I'm kicking myself for not getting a knight range rod when they were avaliable

03mossy said:

They were worth every penny. Its the best range rod ive ever owned.

GM54-120 said:
03mossy said:

Hey thanks for rubbing it in lol :poke:

03mossy said:
GM54-120 said:
03mossy said:

Hey thanks for rubbing it in lol :poke:

This might make you feel a tiny bit better.
http://www.proshotproducts.com/Micro-Po ... _c_80.html
48" Length, .50 Cal. Rifle Rod w/ .50 Cal. Jag Part Number 1PS-48-50R Your Price: $42.99

PROMORODHIRES.jpg

The ProShot muzzle guard and rod stop collar are about another $10.50 total.

Now we're talking! That looks sweet. As an old center fire shooter, the cleaning jags that came with both my T/C, and a starter kit made little sense. There is no slot to hold a patch. The end is simply a knurled bulb, if you will. I can see it will certainly push a patch through the barrel, but doesn't seem likely to pull it back.

03mossy said:

I was too, especially for not pulling the trigger when they were dirt cheap. BUT... I found one at a local shop about 6 mos ago, that he had found in his back room (old stock) and put out for sale. Made my day! Super nice rod.

That one that Gm54 listed looks pretty nice and appears to be similar quality as the Knight...although its pretty short :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The handle on the ProShot Micro Polished i posted DOES swivel like the Ultimate Range Rod.

As far as i can tell, all the ProShots 27cal and up are the same rod. Only the length is different. 27cal and larger all use the same stop collar and muzzle guard. So if the 48" 50cal rod is a bit long for your barrel you may want to look at the next smaller caliber option.

EDIT because i just called ProShot.

The 50cal rod is .312" and the 27cal and up rods are .250" SO...the stop collar and muzzle guard wont fit the 50cal rod. :(

I wonder if Lehigh still has some stop collars and muzzle guards left or if he would be interested in making some.

SteveH said:
CVA makes a pretty good range rod, the "Lifetime Range Rod." Maybe the only CVA product made in the USA. Add a bore guide to it and you have a decent set up that will outlast your guns.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/285630 ... num-handle
I tried that range rod out and returned it. It leaves brass shavings behind in your barrel when it contacts the edges of your muzzle or breech.

While at Cabelas last week, I purchased the 32" Thompson/Center Rugged Rod Range Rod @ 34.99. Looks well constructed and true to it's name.

Dave C said:
SteveH said:
CVA makes a pretty good range rod, the "Lifetime Range Rod." Maybe the only CVA product made in the USA. Add a bore guide to it and you have a decent set up that will outlast your guns.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/285630 ... num-handle
I tried that range rod out and returned it. It leaves brass shavings behind in your barrel when it contacts the edges of your muzzle or breech.

I agree. Hence the bore guide to keep it from hitting the sides. I like the plastic/delrin one you can get from Spinjag.

http://www.spinjag.com/bore-guide-for-m ... barrel.php

Available on Ebay as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muzzle-Guard-Gu ... 0700388805

Latest posts

Back