Range Time with BigAl52

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRC

Reaction score
I had the good fortune to spend most of a day at an outdoor range in the mountains of Colorado, near Idaho Springs, with BigAl52. We have to give Al credit. He had to put up with me for the half hour drive up and back.
At 7500 ft altitude, the temperatures were pleasant even though it was warm down in Denver.
We set up in a "rifle shooting house" and had access to 25, 50, 75 and 100 yard targets. The enclosure was useful when it rained a bit during the day.
I fired my percussion Hatfield and an older TVA made, Kentucky (Pennsylvania) flintlock.

xGYpgl.jpg

mkbML4.jpg

Al had his Jonathan-modified CVA Hawken.
I won't show any targets as there were none that were deserving of preservation.
The shooting session confirmed for me that I do not like semi-buckhorn sights! I DON'T LIKE SEMI-BUCKHORN SIGHTS! My Hatfield will sport different sites as soon as I have a to chance to change them out.

We drove through the old mining town of Idaho Springs on the way back. Even with the typical tourist shops, the town still retains the character of a pre-20th Century mining town. They have a nice mining museum as well.
Ron

Yup me and Ron C sent some good time lead down range yesterday and we even dedicated a ball or to to Ole Bear Claw. I ventured out of the north here to the big city and made my way to Rons house. It was a great day. Spent some time in his man cave checking out all his military guns and admiring his collection of old WW II fighters and planes in the cave. Ron has some planes in the cave. Maybe more than took the air in WW II. Corsairs P-51 P-38 and many more. Even some jets were suspended from the ceiling. After checking out planes and guns we took to the blacktop to go shooting. Shooting with Ron is always a pleasure entertaining and very educational. I will look forward to the next time and its my turn to buy lunch the next time Ron. Al

Give those buckhorns some time and practice. I did not cotton to them successfully at first. 
But, I placed with them the last time I used them with my flintlock Hatfield. Surprised myself, too. 
That was my first time doing that with either buckhorn or flintlock.

One problem I have is that the front sight disappears when aligned with a black background target. It just vanishes. Also, I have a hard time centering the front sight in the rear sight notch. Those are issues related to my less-than-optimal eyesight.

Sounds like you guys had a great time!!  I bet you'll be doing that again soon.

RonC said:
I had the good fortune to spend most of a day at an outdoor range in the mountains of Colorado, near Idaho Springs, with BigAl52. We have to give Al credit. He had to put up with me for the half hour drive up and back.
Ron
BigAl have you senses return now that your home? You know Ron with height changes (he explodes).....  :Questuon:  :slaps:  He always says " sorry it was an accident..."  :blah:

RonC said:
I fired my percussion Hatfield and an older TVA made, Kentucky (Pennsylvania) flintlock.

xGYpgl.jpg

mkbML4.jpg

Al had his Jonathan-modified CVA Hawken.
Ron
Nice looking rifle Ron. What modification did Jon do on BigAl's rifle?

Connor,
If his CVA is anything like mine, also obtained from Jonathan:

The rifle’s finished with four coats of laurel mountain forge Nut Brown stain and 15 coats of hand rubbed Truoil which was then buffed down to a semi gloss finish.
Upgrades include a bedded tang and trigger plate so they stay TIGHT under heavy recoil. The triggers have been polished finely for crisp performance. The double set triggers are set up as a hair trigger right , maybe 10oz give or take. There is NO grit.
The lock internals have also been polished for super smooth contact against each other. The lock has an adjustable tumbler in it as well which to has been polished. All moving parts were coated with a thin coating of moly lube.
Brass was buffed down to a brushed look. 

Fully adjustable rear sight.

My rifle in the photo is my first good muzzleloader. I am guessing about the maker with suggestions from people who know more than I do. To half-cock the hammer, the set trigger must be pulled. Then, when fully cocked, the rifle is ready to fire. Once the flash hole was enlarged, the rifle was reliable and accurate.
Ron

Nice rifle and sounds like a ton of fun! You ol boys should come down next year for rendezvous!

Al used my semi custom .58cal cva hawken. Basically I took a kit gun stock, shaped it, finished it and added a 32" slow twist barrel from a cva mountain rifle, bedded everything and then added a steel hawken trim kit to it. Its a hefty rifle but she shoots nice.

Open the back sight up just a small amount with a fine file like used for hobby work until you see day light on either side friend. We are all getting older and have to make adjustments like seen on the originals. 

I got my lenses replaced in both eyes for distance, only wear reading glasses now, that really helped with seeing my sights and young ladies at a distance - life is wonderful...

I have an original 1850's Leman (one of several) that has a rear sight twice the width of the front blade. The last owner must have been close to blind with that large an opening.   
icon_cry.gif

I shot that rifle again on Friday with Phil at our muzzleloaders club in Ft Lupton. I loaded it up with your hunting load Jon. 100gr of swiss 1 1/2 F. I laid it on the bags at the 100 yard range and touched it off at the square steel swinger there. Not sure of the exact measurements of that square but its not that big. Ron has seen it. Ball hit dead center first shot with that gun. Its a shooter and Im glad to have it. Even Phil commented on how nice the gun looked. Al

Latest posts

Back