rattle snakes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strong eagle

Reaction score
my wife just told me that a lady who was camping with family on a lake south of us got bit by a rattler a day or two ago. they saved her but she was passed out when they got to the hospital and the hospital is about 10 miles from the camp site. also my wife said in june a golfer on a golf course in the black hill of s.dak got bit and died, they couldnt save him. my wifes closest friend on the rez and is native and lives on the rez has a bull snake that live under her deck. its huge and takes care of any mice around the out side of her house and any rattle snakes that wander in. it creeps her kids out but she wont let it be harmed as it does it job better than any cat or dog. rattlers dont have a chance with a big bull snake. we had grilled hambergers this evening and my wife and i ate sitting on nice chairs on the deck. our mama cat joined us and had a berger also. then back to her six kittens. no bugs bothered us at all and the breeze was cool.

When still living near Estes Park CO on family farm (300 acres that hadn't had anyone living there for 20 years other than the tenant farmer working a 100 acre field with hay. The wife and myself decide to clean up the 1860's homestead, remove all the trash and wrecked cars from 5 acres from years of not being cared for. Everything we moved had rattlesnakes under the item, at first I was shooting them, then using the back of a shovel and even just stomping on them and cutting their heads off with my Barlow pocket knife. 

We had collected a shoe box and a half of rattles, then my daughter (15 at the time) says let go to CSU in Fort Collins to the "Snake Display".  Sounded good but was a big mistake for me. They showed peoples limbs that were bitten by rattlers and how their meat had dissolved in the area of the bite.  

After that I couldn't find a shovel with a long enough handle and went back to my little 16 gauge SXS Springfield 18" barrel gun. I continued my snake killing for 20 years at the homestead, it took probably a ten year period to clean them out on that 300 acres and the fence line on the  neighbors 10,000 acres we bordered. Hate Snakes of any kind ....

your much braver than i am. its amazing you got them off of your property. usually their dens are deep and you can never get rid of them. they are around my area but i havent seen one. the racers give me the chills. they look mean and they are. they will chase you and never hesitate to strike. they dont have poision but are very aggressive. the hog nose snake is very mild mannered. you can hold them like a cat.

A backhoe, a can of gas or just waiting them out on a hot sunny day helped to end their stay on this ground. But like said it was a good 10 years of killing anything that moved including their food source. Copperheads and Water Mouth mocs back east are an issue you always have to watch for them.

"my wifes closest friend on the rez and is native and lives on the rez has a bull snake that live under her deck. its huge and takes care of any mice around the out side of her house and any rattle snakes that wander in."

Other snakes that eat rattlers are king snakes and our Florida native indigo snakes which are the largest indigenous snakes in North America .. up to 8 ft. long.
Pigs are also great snake killers .. and eaters.

Here is an adult Indigo snake. They tame down easily.

adult_10.jpg

We have a Copperhead under the house. My wife always uses Moth Balls, I told her we would use Snake Away because of the smell. Snake Away smells like Moth Balls and they are cheaper  :roll: 

oneshot

I have an old friend in Akron Colorado (middle of no where on eastern plains).  This is like 1,200 folks, mostly wheat farmers, all of them bring my friend a batch of rattlesnakes for his famous (according to him) brew. When in supply the "Roadkill Grill" will serve "Rattlesnake Stew" all he needs are the fresh killed snakes. The town folks help him out about twice a year for a town feed of "Rattlesnake Stew" from the "Grill" along with all the fixing, they have quite a time.   :ttups:

I'm with you. When my friend has his "get together" he calls to invite me, he gets told very clearly what to do with his feed !@#$%^    :x   :thumb down:

Ain't into rattlesnakes:

Can't hear the damn things.   Seen too many folks bitten by rattlesnakes.  

When a rattle snake is seen in the road i rev up the Toyota, lock up the rear brakes and scoot across the snake.   Last year I saw  a huge western diamondback coiled up  the hardtop road.  Two cars were stopped.  One driver wanted the skin and i shot the snake for him:  6 1/2-7 feet long.

Latest posts

Back