RCBS Uni-flow powder measurer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tar-12

Reaction score
Will this work for Sav. powders?I am trying to find the most economical way to get my buddy set with his Sav.If you have any other ideas,I am open to suggestions. Thanks Rick

I've got three Uniflos, so I guess I'm relatively satisfied with them.

You'll want the large chamber for 10MLII loads. The micrometer adjustment and powder baffle are two nice options, but they aren't absolutely necessary. Of course, a scale is necessary to set the measure.

Thanks for the info. guys, that was just what I needed to know. Rick

I reload a lot with different powders and decided to up grade to a uniflow,have been using a lee for some years,and find that with stick powders it works worse than the lee.Is there any tricks or secrets setting the uniflow up?The one I got is just the simple one without any baffels or anything.
I ask 2 other fellows that have one and one said that he didn't even use his for stick powder because it didn't work too well.another said he sets his less than he wants and uses a trickler to finish the load.
On the one I got you can feel the powder hanging up as you work the handle.
Any help appreciated.

Tar-12 said:
Will this work for Sav. powders?I am trying to find the most economical way to get my buddy set with his Sav.If you have any other ideas,I am open to suggestions. Thanks Rick

I use the RCBS 5-0-5 scale along with the inexpensive set of Lee dippers.
A guy can get fairly quick at this with practice... :)

Vince
s.w. Ohio

I use a Redding Benchrest model. Very accurate. Anytime stick powders are used in these type of measures, the sticks are so long it seems like the measure is hanging up as you cut/crush individual grains. In a good measure this has relatively little affect on accuracy of the charge. I also use a Dillon terminator electric scale. This is a very good combo for charges of smokeless powder, but it isn't exactly cheap.

Herman,
The baffle won't really help with that problem.

Certain extruded powders aren't as bad as others.

IMR4198 is a tough one while H4198 goes pretty smoothly. If I want 4831 speed (not in a ML, of course) I go with H4831SC as it flows pretty well, too. So, in some cases you have a choice.

If I'm stuck with a number that meters poorly I will break out the trickler.

The newer electronic scale/trickler combos would be the best fix. You just throw a slightly light charge from your measure onto the scale pan and the trickler will automatically bring it up to your preset chargeweight.

Sinclair International has a few upgrades for the RCBS powder measure. I actually use the Redding competition measure more often but feel the accuracy is very nearly the same. I don't know if any mechanical measure will work well for long stick(read that IMR-4198) powders. The VV powders measure wonderfully.

Thanks fellows for the info.Thought maybe I had set it up wrong.

I use a Harrell's Precision Custom 90 Culver Measure. Simply a joy to use. You can set it up anywhere QUICKLY. Built in table clamp for easy on/off. Write down number of "clicks" for your load and you can quickly return to your load. The best I've ever used and I've used most of them.

Latest posts

Back