REAL BULLET LUBE?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rks1949

Reaction score
I cast some of the Lee REAL bullets tonight. They are the 250gr. one's. I thought they would be good for plinking loads. What lube do you use fro these bullets. I kinda suspect it's Bore Butter,but don't want to get that going again,on another thread. :D
REAL250.jpg

rks, that looks like a silver bullet. Are you sure your not the lone ranger in disguise(no mask) :lol:

Solid Lube Formula

2 ounces of Bees Wax
8 ounces of Castor Oil
1 ounce Murphy?s Oil Soap

Using a double boiler system, melt the bees wax. While keeping the wax liquid, heat the Castor oil with the double boiler also. Then mix the two together. Stir them together and while doing this a scum will form. You need to scrap the scum off the liquid. Once the scum is scraped off the mix, then add the Murphy?s Oil Soap and stir fast while it is melted. This will make a nice frothy appearance and very smooth. Pour the mix into containers and it will set up in a couple hours.

This mix will not break down in heat and is still usable in cold weather. It makes a great conical lube.

that is the solid lube I make. I can make it as soft or as hard as I like. it works real good for the REAL conicals I lube with it. The other option is bore butter.

RAF said:
rks, that looks like a silver bullet. Are you sure your not the lone ranger in disguise(no mask) :lol:
Hi Ho Silver........... :D

i guess those are not made to run thru a sizer, BUT . . . if you are going to use a lubra-sizer, i'd just get some sticks of SPG lube . . .

If you just want to test them out, get some Crisco and smear it around the outer circumference. Messy but works very well.

And yes, bore butter would work also. :D

I found a Old container of BB 1000Plus. It has been around the shop for years. It is much thicker,and came in a little jar. It seems to have a bees wax mixed in with it,and is very stiff. Is this stuff still available? What I have now in the tubes is very thin compared to this. :?
BoreButter002.jpg

I remember those old tubs of Bore Butter.. I think they changed the formula so we could squeeze the stuff out them fancy tubes. Besides that old tub Bore Butter used to get as hard as a rock when it got cold. Could hardly get it out of the pot...

Although if that tub has any amount in it,.... you should be set.

Yeah it does Dave,are you heating up the lube,then setting the bullets in it base first,and letting it cool?

On my homemade lube I scrap a finger full, work it against the side of the container of the lube to make it nice and soft, and then with a good glob, roll that into the ribs of the REAL.

I tried that setting them in a pan and then pouring them. I then took a 1/2 pipe and cut them all out of the lube. It was too much of a mess. I also did the Alox coating and that was terrible. The accuracy was so bad, I remelted them.

If just takes a little longer to lube then up, and I keep a towel at the shooting bench to wipe my fingers off, but it seems to work for me.

I think those little REALs will fly like a woodcock if you push them much. :lol:

Yeah,I was thinking the might shoot OK, with a light load for plinking.

70 - 80 grains they do fine. I have a friend that hunts with a T/C Hawkins in .54 caliber and all he ever shoots are the 300 grain REALs I cast. He loads 80 grains and a wad. So far, not one deer took a step after he shot them with that.

Dave,do you just add more bees wax to stiffen(I think that's right?) up the lube? I ordered the bees wax,and got the rest of the stuff today. Ron

yes.. if you like it thicker, pop it back in the microwave, remelt it, stir in more melted bees wax and it will stiffen up. If you want it more fluid, microwave it and add some castor oil.

One thing about this lube is, even on a hot day it will not break down as bad as bore butter.

Thanks,Dave. I can't wait to try these bullets out. I also have a mold for the 300gr Real bullets,but haven't cast any of them yet. I might have to use a fiber wad under them,but I guess I'll find out when I try them out. Ron

Shot the 300,250 REAL bullets today. I was supprized that the White 504 liked the 300's so well. They shot great. My friend had his Prohunter along and we shot the 250's through it. With a load of 70grs. T7, and the 250gr. Real bullet that gun can drive tacks. It was very impressive to say the least. I'll have to cast some more tonight,for next week's plinking session. :D

Latest posts

Back