Reason for bigger entrance-Barnes

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphaburnt

Reaction score
I just received a free DVD from Barnes titled Busting Bullet Myths and it shows a ML bullet going through a small section of ballistic gelatin.
As I watched this, I was thinking about a doe I shot this year ( WV doe in the Success forum). I was puzzled as to why the entrance hole was larger than the exit. In the DVD you can see that the hydraulic or hydrostatic pressure created by the bullet created forced gelatin back to the entrance hole quite forcefully. This may be the reason for the larger entrance.

Shot a doe this year with the barnes 250gr. expander at 26yrds. At first I thought I was seeing things, because I saw blood shooting out the entrance hole. She dropped at the shot and upon examining the entrance and exit hole, I noticed blood down the leg on the entrance side, so I wasn't just seeing things. I would guess that the pressure inside is so great that it seeks the path of lease resistance, the wound channel. Just guessing though. I do know, that alot people on here myself included like them barnes bullets.

I have noticed that a lot with muzzleloaders. The entrance hole is larger then the exit hole. That would have been an interesting video.

About the video, its FREE! Just go to the Barnes website and fill out the info and they will send you one free of charge. I received mine in about a week.

Back