Red dot on a muzzle loader?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Groovy Mike

Reaction score
Scopes are legal in our bp season so last night I threw a red dot on my new Knight....

has anybody else tried them on a BP rifle? How did you make out?

I have had RED DOTs on two different muzzleloaders. A Knight Wolverine and a CVA Staghorn Magnum. The CVA still has a RED DOT but I took it off the Wolverine and put a scope on there.

I like a red dot and I don't like a red dot. When lighting is good, the red dot works fine. For me it is a 75 yard and under rifle. My problem is late in the afternoon when the shadows start to gather, that dot will grow a tail and you do not get much light through the red dot. So practice shooting with both eyes open.

They are accurate. My CVA will shoot impressive 50 yard groups. And where I hunt, that's a long shot.

Thnx. Are you in lake country Cayuga. I'm near Saratoga but try to get out to the central part of the state a few times a year. Range test with red dot showed that the accuracy was excellent BUT I could not adjust the scope no matter how far I turned the adjustment knobs..... Took it off and put on a Burris scope. But was very pleased with 50 yard groups under 2 inches.....

Yes, I am in lake country but in Northern Wisconsin. If you're thinking Cayuga New York, that's not me.

I was thinking NY. Didn't even know there was another! Thanks for teh education :)

I have an inexpensive tru-glo red dot on my omega x7. Worked great, took my deer in the first hour of muzzleloader season this year at 60 yards. As a note, I too would not use the red dot past 75 or so yards and learn to shot with both eye's open. Best part of the red dot is getting on target, it is very fast. My favorite part of the red dot is that is is adjustable in intensity very helpful in low light. Least favorite part is the size of the dot, my dot is 3" at 100 yards - it is way to big.

I've always wondered about Tru Glo's 2x red dot scopes. They look like the thing, quick on target and reaching out to 100yards with the 2x glass.

I'm still laid up with a broken ankle, so my buddy used my BSA reddot on his Optima. Its got a 4MOA and he shot a nice doe recently with it. I think you siad it was around 75-80 yards. A far shot, considering it was allot of thickets and brush. The reddot has seven intensity levels and I think I paid less than $50 for it.

Jerry

Latest posts

Back