Reducing delay between hammer fall and charge ignition?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My only problem with the magspark is getting at the cap when my fingers are a little cold. It does have ribs but its just tough to get that cap on and off.
I do not overtighten it and a little breach plug lube makes that go away for me however the cold and my fingers placing a#11 cap on a nipple is a sight to behold . By the time it happens I go home with out shooting as I ran out of caps though I find it handy when lost I just follow the primers home/ Ed

I do not overtighten it and a little breach plug lube makes that go away for me however the cold and my fingers placing a#11 cap on a nipple is a sight to behold . By the time it happens I go home with out shooting as I ran out of caps though I find it handy when lost I just follow the primers home/ Ed
I use a basic stick, or straight line capper. I keep it in my coat pocket. Those teardrop ones, Cash? are supposed to be very good.

1. Try musket caps. nipples available for most rifles.
2. In line cappers keep my fingers from fumbling but occasionally a cap turns side ways in 'em.
3. Cash teardrop works well too.
4. If i'm hunting I pull the nipple and put some 3 or 4F in the replace the nipple.

I shoot only BP (love the smell) and have had rifles left loaded a long time, and CLEARLY marked, and had them go off like I loaded them 30 sec ago. None of my sidelocks , T/C and Lyman, have any delay.

I did put a tiny bit of bp lube on my cap threads when i went to the range sunday. Still, after the 5th shot it started getting a little sticky. It felt like fouling getting into the threads. Probably could have wiped it out with a q-tip, if i had any then. Will try again this weekend. 5 shots is more than enough in a hunting situation. But i still want to make some kind of T handle tool to use on it.

Try
I did put a tiny bit of bp lube on my cap threads when i went to the range sunday. Still, after the 5th shot it started getting a little sticky. It felt like fouling getting into the threads. Probably could have wiped it out with a q-tip, if i had any then. Will try again this weekend. 5 shots is more than enough in a hunting situation. But i still want to make some kind of T handle tool to use on it.
Try not overthinking ,just spit in the cap while loading while having a primer in your mouth /Done Ed

As stated earlier-

clean fire channel
real black power
problem solved.

I shoot black powder competition with Civil War arms and sometimes it's raining a bit. I don't have any issues with ignition.

As stated earlier-

clean fire channel
real black power
problem solved.

I shoot black powder competition with Civil War arms and sometimes it's raining a bit. I don't have any issues with ignition.
BP competition in a little rain is not an issue ,I answered with advantages of using Magspark as multiple posts asked about the benefits of this ignition source ! My side locks can hunt with BP for weeks in rain/snow and anything I care to hunt in knowing when it's time to shoot it does , and does it with subs too #11 caps will never lite up . Aside from the reliability just mentioned cause lots of folks will not choose to hunt in crappy weather ,the MAIN reason for me is the choice! If you aint got #11 caps but have lots of shot gun primers (209) used to shoot trap /skeet my sidelocks are guaranteed use when other folks camp out at wally mart hoping . I even use a 2nd primer to clear the offensive crap out before loading not possible if your sidelock got left home
just sayin/Ed

As stated earlier-

clean fire channel
real black power
problem solved.

I like to use bh209 in my renegade .45 lrh, regardless of the weather. that's why i use a magspark. Cant light it with #11s.

BP competition in a little rain is not an issue ,I answered with advantages of using Magspark as multiple posts asked about the benefits of this ignition source ! My side locks can hunt with BP for weeks in rain/snow and anything I care to hunt in knowing when it's time to shoot it does , and does it with subs too #11 caps will never lite up . Aside from the reliability just mentioned cause lots of folks will not choose to hunt in crappy weather ,the MAIN reason for me is the choice! If you aint got #11 caps but have lots of shot gun primers (209) used to shoot trap /skeet my sidelocks are guaranteed use when other folks camp out at wally mart hoping . I even use a 2nd primer to clear the offensive crap out before loading not possible if your sidelock got left home
just sayin/Ed

Since I compete with Civil War era long arms, I have more than a few musket caps. No 11s? Don't stock'em, too darn small and wimpy. Got plenty musket caps.

My Kahnke has an angled nipple so it isn't a real inline. I had trouble with hangfires shooting 777 in cold weather. Winchester Magnum #11 caps solved that for me. Of course I haven't seen any in several years.

Imagine how more manly you could be with CCI 209 Magnums/Ed

Aaaannnd in the current manufacturing climate, musket caps are easier to get than any centerfire caps. Besides, 209s are illegal for our competition. In a match that requires a balance of speed v accuracy, fumbling with a #11 is not on the agenda.

And your fact is correct (for you) most everyone else is not involved in a dying reenactment hobby but shoot for sport /target/ and maybe self defense . And if you do not have multiple primer options you can join the none shooting crowd (growing) every day ! I do not need to state the obvious (I'm set) but even I watch how many primers I use when shooting ,especially 209 cause everything pistols/rifles shot guns use them ! #11 caps are ( backup )and flints are getting down there but them I can make . See ( you can change the hobby) but the majority end up owning fence posts (GUNS) if not enjoying multiple means of lighting the powder . The added bonus of weatherproof /non fragging caps /and firing any powder you can find (is a no brainer ) for me /Ed

And your fact is correct (for you) most everyone else is not involved in a dying reenactment hobby but shoot for sport /target/ and maybe self defense . And if you do not have multiple primer options you can join the none shooting crowd (growing) every day ! I do not need to state the obvious (I'm set) but even I watch how many primers I use when shooting ,especially 209 cause everything pistols/rifles shot guns use them ! #11 caps are ( backup )and flints are getting down there but them I can make . See ( you can change the hobby) but the majority end up owning fence posts (GUNS) if not enjoying multiple means of lighting the powder . The added bonus of weatherproof /non fragging caps /and firing any powder you can find (is a no brainer ) for me /Ed

Don't assume I'm a reenactor. I shoot LIVE rounds for score on targets and we also shoot artillery live as well. Live means with a bullet in the bore.

Start with a very clean and dry rifle… after you dump the charge down bore but before seating the projectile bump the side of the rifle right at the breech. The thought is that you settle powder under the nipple in this manner. Now seat your projectile, cap and fire. There should be no hesitation with black powder or the substitutes using any good quality percussion cap. There’s just no reason to resort to anything but the system that’s been in place and proven millions of times over since the 1850’s. My percussion rifles all have very fast lock times.
Ditto. I've never had any issues at all with my current sidelock & #11's, or any of the previous rifles I've owned.
The times I've seen folks have issues, its typically always been self inflicted.

Ditto. I've never had any issues at all with my current sidelock & #11's, or any of the previous rifles I've owned.
The times I've seen folks have issues, its typically always been self inflicted.
And when you run out of #11 caps , I will still be shooting!

Since I do not have any access to real black powder right now, I tried out the magspark and it worked flawlessly. Well, not exactly flawlessly. The spent primers are a bear to get out. Spitting on them did not do much. Magspark recommended vaseline, which I did not have on me. A little wd-40 on the sides before firing made it easier to remove.

Immediate ignition with 777 FFg, no delay at all. My hunt is tomorrow, so for this year, it'll be the magspark because 777 and 209 primers are all I have access to. Ironically, I may be getting my hands on some black powder later this week. Kept dry, I understand it'll last a long time...so next year's hunt may be traditional all the way.

Decided to use the Hornady Great Plains tomorrow. Kicks like a mule compared to the Hornady XTP 240 grain...but I want to see what a lead conical does...how it expands, how it fragments if at all.

Since I do not have any access to real black powder right now, I tried out the magspark and it worked flawlessly. Well, not exactly flawlessly. The spent primers are a bear to get out. Spitting on them did not do much. Magspark recommended vaseline, which I did not have on me. A little wd-40 on the sides before firing made it easier to remove.

Immediate ignition with 777 FFg, no delay at all. My hunt is tomorrow, so for this year, it'll be the magspark because 777 and 209 primers are all I have access to. Ironically, I may be getting my hands on some black powder later this week. Kept dry, I understand it'll last a long time...so next year's hunt may be traditional all the way.

Decided to use the Hornady Great Plains tomorrow. Kicks like a mule compared to the Hornady XTP 240 grain...but I want to see what a lead conical does...how it expands, how it fragments if at all.
Please again try what I said with BP it does work with B .P. and BH290 as I have never used 777 . I know it works for me as it is all I use , I will not be running out of BP in my lifetime but I also know 209 s will light up anything you can find /the spit and chew part is what works (all day) as stated /Ed

Latest posts

Back