Question about slight delay between cap and charge ignition

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
I experienced something a bit different the other day when I fired my muzzleloader. ML in question is a T/C White Mountain Carbine, loaded with 240 gr T/C Cheap Shot sabot over 80 gr 777, using a CCI #11 cap.

It was the end of a hunt day, so I walked down to an area of the farm I hunt I use to discharge my ML (deer hunting in this area is poor, so I feel I'm less likely to spook any deer away from the good hunting areas). I took aim, pulled the trigger and when the hammer fell there was the pop of the cap and then a slight pause before the charge ignited. The delay was very slight, no more than a second, probably less, so I don't believe this would be a hangfire. But it did seem different to me, as previous times I've fired this same rifle with same charge the delay between hammer striking cap and ignition was imperceptible.

Since I"m pretty new to shooting ML, I wanted to check if this was a sign of an issue, or just par for the course with a sidelock.

It could be as simple as not having the fire channel completely clear before loading. Before you load, I am sure you pop a could caps to blow through the fire channel and insure its clean. Also another little trick when hunting is, when your sitting out there, take your nipple wrench with you. Remove the nipple and drizzle just a few grams of powder down the hole, and then replace the nipple. This will make sure it fires perfect every time. Also if its wet out, be sure and weatherize the nipple as well. A little trick is with a birthday candle, rub the bottom edge of the cap with the wax to seal it.

Many things can cause a pop bang. It could have been weather conditions when hunting.

If all is right you should not be able to notice any delay. Ignition should be almost instant.
Sabotloader shoots Triple 7 almost exclusively and he relies on RWS 1075+ percussion caps for hunting and CCI #11 Magnum for range work as the CCI are less expensive usually. However currently out west where I am finding the magnum caps is difficult as all my local vendors are out.
The German RWS caps seem to be available at a couple places locally all the time now.
If you can try a different cap.

Yep, you had a hangfire. A hangfire cost me the best buck deer i ever saw.

IMO: There is no substitute for cleaning the flame channel with a bristled pipe cleaner. i refuse to crud up the bore by simply popping cap/s. Instead i put a patch on the ramrod jag and run it down the bore until it stops: Then pop a cap or two and remove the ramrod. The end of the patch should be well black.

I live in North east texas humidity is fairly high I have had the same situation always toward the end of the day.
If I am out more than 4 hours I will add a small amount a pinch of powder into the clean out for the bolster

Thanks for responses and advice. I am certainly going to give this some thought and tinkering before next season.

Keeping everything clear when using T7 in a sidelock is critical. Black powder probably would have fired fine.

Latest posts

Back