Rem 700 SML barrel question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ambushunter

Reaction score
Looking for velocity differences, I know powder/bullet choices will matter, but say the same weight bullet. What would one expect to gain going 26in shoulder fit barrel vs 26in remage barrel?

Small shank i would say max is about 65gr of 4198 and a 275gr. In a Full 1.25"x5" long shank barrel you are looking at more like 75-78gr as the max load with the same bullet.

About 200-300fps faster with the 1.25" x 5" long shank barrel. That estimate is using a 275gr and 4198.

Last edited:
That’s true. Maybe someone else can elaborate on max pressure differences.
My Pacnor is a small shank Savage so nearly the same size as a Remage. I was always told to stick to 45kpsi as max. Them full shank barrels can hit 55kpsi or slightly more. Im a bit cautious though so 50kpsi is a good safe bet.

Small shank i would say max is about 65gr of 4198 and a 275gr. In a Full 1.25"x5" long shank barrel you are looking at more like 75-78gr as the max load with the same bullet.

About 200-300fps faster with the 1.25" x 5" long shank barrel. That estimate is using a 275gr and 4198.

I have a remage and was told 65-68gr 4198 and a 275 would be max... I settled at 66gr for accuracy.

Has anyone used Acc4064 with the 275 grain bullets? The following prediction from QuickLoad looks promising.

It is predicting a fairly low pressure with good velocity.

I shot a couple of groups with this powder a few weeks ago and need to try some more.

Attachments

• 275 grain with 105 grain Acc4064.jpg
    275 grain with 105 grain Acc4064.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 3
Has anyone used Acc4064 with the 275 grain bullets? The following prediction from QuickLoad looks promising.

It is predicting a fairly low pressure with good velocity.

I shot a couple of groups with this powder a few weeks ago and need to try some more.

I haven’t used AA 4064, 105 Grs seem like a “Tall” Powder Stack?

Curious, Noticed you didn’t have the Friction Proof Box Checked in the QL Data. I’m Learning & thought you set it at 0.4 to partially account for “No Bullet Throat Engraving” like the CF Cartridges?

I haven’t used AA 4064, 105 Grs seem like a “Tall” Powder Stack?

Curious, Noticed you didn’t have the Friction Proof Box Checked in the QL Data. I’m Learning & thought you set it at 0.4 to partially account for “No Bullet Throat Engraving” like the CF Cartridges?
It is a tall powder stack. Thanks for the tip about the friction proof box. I am still learning.

It is a tall powder stack. Thanks for the tip about the friction proof box. I am still learning.
I'm just getting started learning QL. Its a lot to take in, & into consideration when plugging in data. Like the 0.4 friction proof box for a great example. Fortunately, I have some guidance to turn to & Billyboy has been one of them.

Latest posts

Back