A closer look at Groove depth,450-456 lother walter barrel, Woodman arms Omega!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mnt monkey

Reaction score
Starting to shoot a new Woodman arms Omega Barrel today I ordered this Barrel a while back specifically to test Groove depth in particular a little bit shallower, I asked myself and maybe others too and maybe you wonder, would a shallower Groove obturate quicker , would it produce more velocity with less pressure, would or could a shallower groove be a better way perhaps to shoot a solid bullet that had been annealed or that has a hollow base, if a solid monolithic type bullet only has to swell slightly to efficiently obturate. And what would be the effect on a sabot load, does a plastic load need the Deep grooves we use or would it also perhaps perform better with a shallower Groove I'm not sure of any of these questions I want to find out we'll be shooting this 450-456 a lot in the coming weeks and I also have a 450-453 it looks really cool when you look down the barrel. Very exciting just about tweaking my own experiential knowledge a little bit and I'm so grateful to Mark at Woodman arms for his help looks like to me from this first group which is a 265 stb Fury setting over 59 grains of 4198 it looks like the 450_456 is going to have potential doesn't it, there's three shots in one hole that's at the left and the bullet hole right above that to the right is close that 265 stb is a great hunting bullet, I don't know that I consider it a good target bullet but it has its moments doesn't it!

Attachments

• 20230812_160733.jpg
    20230812_160733.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230812_161413.jpg
    20230812_161413.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
I believe doc did work with shallow Groove I have a lot of questions about it the only way I can answer is shooting ,if I find something that I think might be unique I hope to follow it up with four or five more barrels I'm not going to let one or two barrels establish something for me I've got to see it in at least four or five barrels ,however again just like to twist mission that I've been on if there's a better twist more versatile then what we've been shooting that's what I want if there is a Groove depth that's better than what we've been shooting industry-wide that's what I want and I hope other people do too I hope to see things improve for everybody.

Starting to shoot a new Woodman arms Omega Barrel today I ordered this Barrel a while back specifically to test Groove depth in particular a little bit shallower, I asked myself and maybe others too and maybe you wonder, would a shallower Groove obturate quicker , would it produce more velocity with less pressure, would or could a shallower groove be a better way perhaps to shoot a solid bullet that had been annealed or that has a hollow base, if a solid monolithic type bullet only has to swell slightly to efficiently obturate. And what would be the effect on a sabot load, does a plastic load need the Deep grooves we use or would it also perhaps perform better with a shallower Groove I'm not sure of any of these questions I want to find out we'll be shooting this 450-456 a lot in the coming weeks and I also have a 450-453 it looks really cool when you look down the barrel. Very exciting just about tweaking my own experiential knowledge a little bit and I'm so grateful to Mark at Woodman arms for his help looks like to me from this first group which is a 265 stb Fury setting over 59 grains of 4198 it looks like the 450_456 is going to have potential doesn't it, there's three shots in one hole that's at the left and the bullet hole right above that to the right is close that 265 stb is a great hunting bullet, I don't know that I consider it a good target bullet but it has its moments doesn't it!
The gun looks very nice bro. Nice post & stackin STB's in a hole - pretty dang cool huh.

Yes I didn't expect that I really wasn't comfortable with the gun even you know I don't like that thumb hole stuff and the guns just new takes me a while to to get to know to develop a relationship with a rifle out of the gate I'm pretty impressed that loather Walter is wanting to shoot

Yes this one's just shooting as clean as could be I literally can open the action and primer falls out there's just something about the old omegas to me it's kind of a working man's muzzleloader I really like them

Where do I start? First off, thank you for taking this on! Next beautiful rifle! Lastly, fascinating shooting! The principles in play here, the subtle but impactful differences between groove designs... I'll be following this one closely!

Thank you,pathfinder 60, I should have that 453 Barrel also up and running by the end of this coming week, will probably just be shooting sized bullets for bore initially and then I'll pull muzzle brakes off of them and shoot some plastic,,, I continue to be amazed with 45 Cal rifles, just such an inherently accurate bore and being so inspires me to want to learn everything I can about it, don't you just always want to make something better too if you can, I'm never satisfied when it's perfect it can still be improved. When I quit trying to find a way to make something better I will walk away from it

Got the 453 Barrel sitting down in one of those plastic stocks just a rattle can paint job, stocks going to be easier for me to get up behind. Going to mount 2.5 to 10x42 ior tactical scope very nice glass little heavy and over pill on the scope but it's just for doing a lot of testing on the other Omega that I have the four 56 Barrel I put a fixed 16 super sniper.

Attachments

• 20230813_151849.jpg
    20230813_151849.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Lhr if you know how limited my income is it would amaze you and I find in life we tend to make time as men for our passions. I've had a unique experience in life of watching one of my best friends living on disability with no shop just in a little one car garage get up every morning and pursue what he was passionate about his passion happened to involve long distance sniper rifle cartridges he had no prior education in that area only a great love for what he was interested in I Witness the birth within this man's life of what I call God's bullet ,today that man is known worldwide in military circles and in the sniper world ,two of his cartridges have been adopted by our military and if you're familiar with that that doesn't happen very often he has stood before governments and Special Operations leaders from all over the world sharing his developments and yes he speaks out these Texan like I do there is this tremendous reality that I've learned in life you pursue with honor and integrity what you love and get up and do it everyday success will follow a lot of bumps in the road and most of that sometimes it's criticism from the outside but if you just get up and keep an honorable spirit and keep doing what you love so much good will come out of it not only in the gun and the Cartridge World but in life in general find something you're passionate about and do it and keep doing it.

Latest posts

Back