Rem ML700 and BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dom

Michigan, da Thumb
Supporting member
Reaction score
Newby here to Muzzloading. Have an older Rem ML700 SS that has the inline conversion. After doing a bit of reading, I don't find anywhere any talk of using Blackhorn 209 in a Remington, other than the newer Ultras.

If there is a reason I shouldn't try this, I'm all ears. I think the benefits of BH209 far outweigh not trying it out. From research, appears BH needs a hot primer, so I plan to use the CCI 209M, and push sabots. Hornady or Barnes 250 grainers.

Just looking for a deer load to extend my hunting season and have some fun with a muzzloader. Hunting here means most shots would be inside 100 yards. Thanks in advance for any help.

Have an older Rem ML700 SS that has the inline conversion.

I am thinking you mean you have the 209 primer conversion in it. From what I hear those are still leaky around the primer and will cause Intermittent issues with lighting BH209 powder. There is a member here that developed a Kit that replaced the Bolt nose and breech plug that makes the Rem 700 ML 100% Reliable with BH209. "derfhunter" is his screen name. You can find the kits from Him, Badger Ridge and possibly ArrowHead sporting goods. If he sees this he will chime in.

Bh209 does not exactly need the Hottest Primer but it does need a good Shotgun Primer, not the 209's made for Muzzle loaders, The main thing is a sealed primer ignition. If the headspace is right when you close the bolt it will provide a slight crush on the primer to seal it and force all of the heat and pressure from the primer though the flash hole into the powder. I mostly use the Standard Winchester 209 s in the Blue box or the Rem STS, both are standard Shotgun reloading primers.

Thanks a lot for the information, I appreciate it. I don't know the name of the 209 conversion on mine, but quite sure it's not a sealed system and leaks. Doing some more research, I'm in no big hurry, but thinking the best route is to get it sealed before trying BH209.

I also have two Remington 700ml's with a 209 kit in them, the nipple is not sealed and will not fire Blackhorn209. I am going to upgrade to one of the earlier mentioned kits. They are very nice shooting guns. I've had good luck with 44 cal 240 grain XTP's.

Latest posts

Back