Remington 700 ML shooters-I need help.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernie

Reaction score
I have tried several loads to make my Remington a true 150-200 yard weapon, but have met with less than steller success. For instance, I just tested some 250 gr. Hornady SST-ML pushed by 120 gr. Pyrodex. However, half of them hit the target sideways, not good for accuracy!

What loads have you had luck with at distance?

Thanks.

try reducing you load is my thought. I had the same problem with an Encore and reducing the charge did the trick. Never did shoot it at 200 though. Experiment with a 300 grain bullet also.

bernie

I have two of these guns a 24" model and a 26" and they both shoot really well. I have shot both of them to 150 yards and I am really happy with the results. The 26" I have shot to 200 and I do stay with-in my self imposed 4" group being acceptable.

I am not measuring my loads I am throwing them by volume on site, I am not shooting a fancy bullet all - I was at the time shooting Nosler .458 - 300 grain Partitions and 300 grain Hornady XTP's and/or .458 300 grain Hornady Hollow Points. + one somewhat negative fact I am old - so I am sure the gun is capable of doing better than I can do.

I am currently testing Speer Gold Dots both the .452 - 250 grain and the .452 300 grain. The 300 grain is a remodeled .451-300 grain bullet. The hollow point has been redesigned to provide a higher BC. Speer is claiming .233, with this new bullet - the old .451 was listed as .199 as are the Hornady's .200. I have shot the both bullets to 150 yards and can easily stay in the 2" area, although there is a little more drop with the 250 than the 300's, but the 300's are really looking good.

I am shooting 100 grains of t7-2f loose, Remington 209-4 (410 shotgun) primers, Cabelas 209 conversion, either Nosler or MMP HPH-24 sabots, with the above mentioned bullets.

I believe accuracy of the gun or any gun at 200 yards really can be affected by the condition of the barrel. Your cleaning and treating of the barrel can make inches of differences.

Good luck in your search for that 200 yards.

The bore on my rifles are excellent, I am a reformed match rifle shooter and somewhat anal on my bores. I am going to try to back off to 100 grains (by volume) and see if that improves things somewhat. Bullets hitting the target sideways are never a good thing.

bernie

Which sabot are you using? What do a few of the recovered sabots look like? I can not load Hornady SST's with the supplied sabot in my Remington's without jamming and forcing them down - almost pounding them down. I have to switch sabots. TC shockwaves will go down just fine.

Tumbling bullets - I really believe that it is often caused by the way the sabot comes off the bullet.

Another thing and I am not trying to question anything - but the condition of the crown could also cause this problem.

You really should be able to shoot 120 grain of Pyro without any problems. I thought about suggesting a sub-base but I can not imagine 120 grains burning them up.

I do appologize if my bore remark offended you...

mike

No offense taken on the bore remark, I was just letting you know that was not the issue. The crown is excellent too. The comment about the sabots not releasing may well have something to do with this. I actually found one of the sabots at the base of the target, Like it did not release until the bullet his the target. I am not super knowledgeable about muzzleloaders, but I know that is not what is supposed to happen. I usually find them about 10 yards in front of the muzzle. I appreciate all of the help.
Do not hesitate to make suggestions, You have no idea what my knowledge level is. While with centerfire rifles it is high, but with muzzleloaders it is low.

I see that Sabotload mentioned the cabela 209 con. kit.It's good because it gets more fire down into the chamber for better cosistant group sizes and less fouling on your scope,face,and everything else on your shooting table.My remingtons are .45's so I can't help you with loads.

Just an update, but I went out today and tried again. I again used Hornady sabots and 250 gr. SST-ML bullets, but I backed the powder charge back to 100 grains of Pyrodex. That seemed to do the trick, I would not have thought it would have made a difference, but it did.

It was extremely windy so I didn't shoot for group, but I was primarily making sure I got good sabot release and none of the bullets went through the target sideways. Nothing like an unstable bullet to screw up accuracy.

Latest posts

Back