Remington 700 ultamate. Any better now ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anaconda44

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has bought a 700 ultimate this year. Has the quaity got any better. I remember reviews on ruff barrels with chatter marks inside.
Thanks

anaconda44 said:
I was wondering if anyone has bought a 700 ultimate this year. Has the quaity got any better. I remember reviews on ruff barrels with chatter marks inside.
Thanks
The whole thing finally came together and shooters are starting to realize the rifles potential. Less than MOA at 300yds is common with those who put their time in.
What can make it better is to have the ASG Gen2 breech plug installed. The new breech plug entirely eliminates all head space problems along with gas cutting nipples. It also makes the rifle BH209 capable. The ASG Gen2 breech plug made the rifle a thoroughbred instead of a pony. Highly recommend it.
It also makes the best platform with the Remington 700 action to convert if one ever wanted to shoot smokeless, making it a 2 in 1 rifle. They also shoots exceptionally well the new land riding .50cal bullets.

that's good to hear .
do you know what case or caliber the brass is that it comes with stock for priming.? I thought I heard you can make your own.?

anaconda44 said:
that's good to hear .
do you know what case or caliber the brass is that it comes with stock for priming.? I thought I heard you can make your own.?

Some are making their own from a .308 case, but like the UF, you could use a .45acp in a pinch. The ONLY thing required is that the brass head be sealed on the nipple.
Remington's brass for the RUM isn't even close to being a good piece of brass for a primer carrier. The head thickness is all over the board, which is why there can be head space problems. IIRC, Bestill found up to a .020" difference in head thickness. The primer flash hole can be off center.
Starline brass is of much higher quality with the .45WM brass, which the most variance I've found is .005".

HOWEVER............ :partyman: Luke at ASG fixed that issue perminantly for all RUM and UF owners. His Gen2 replacement breech plugs eliminate all the head spacing issues, will not gas cut, you reprime the modules with LRMP's and there's a lifetime warrantee. You can shoot all the BH209 you want with no carbon buildup in the breech plug. I've just about emptied a 5# jug myself.
Its now easy to send a 300gr bullet at 2400fps and have 1,1058 foot pounds of energy at 600yds.

ok what is the better model to buy the wood stock or the bell and Carlson sysn.?
also what problems are there with blackhorn powder in this gun?
thanks

anaconda44 said:
ok what is the better model to buy the wood stock or the bell and Carlson sysn.?
also what problems are there with blackhorn powder in this gun?
thanks

Stocks are always a personal choice. I think some are choosing the BC stock for possible later conversions.

Blackhorn is not and has never been an approved propellant for the RUM, although some use it anyway.

Remington replaced so many gas cut breech plugs, that they finally stopped warranting breech plugs if it was known BH was used. There's a reason they gas cut and its related to poor head spacing and PP brass primer carriers, which are known to have up to .020" head thickness differences. IMO some of the poor accuracy some have experienced may be because of the suggested bullet/sabot combination. The proprietary sabot they use has a slot in the bottom, then the bullet is made to have and extension to fit in the slot. They "may" have thought the slot combination would keep the bullet spinning with the sabot. There could be a two part problem there. I have a package of those bullets and when holding the base of the sabot, can't throw a bullet out of the sabot. They are actually stuck together, likely some kind of pressed fit?????? So if the bullet doesn't leave the sabot quickly, that could be a contributing factor. The slot extension on the bottom of the bullet could certainly be another contributing factor to poor accuracy with the recommended bullet/sabot combination.

Luke at ASG http://arrowheadsporting.com/asggen2_uml.html has a permanent fix for that problem. Luke designed a breech plug, first for the RUM, then for the original UF rifles, that is extremely strong, eliminates completely any gas leaking and is EXCELLENT for using BH209. IIRC Luke has a lifetime warrantee on the breech plugs. I know he's replaced many RUM breech plugs and replaced the first UF plug in my rifle. Luke's new breech plug takes these rifles from a pony to a race horse. The RUM and UF rifles are capable of easily handling up to 160grs by volume of BH209 with 300gr bullets. I'm sending 300gr SST bullets at an average of 2395fps.

Bottom line...…… if you purchase one, have the new ASG plug installed ASAP and start shooting any substitute propellant you'd like. Luke's breech plug DOES NOT allow the use of smokeless propellants, which should never be used in either the RUM or the UF rifles.

I ran into this a little while ago, looking for something else.

I don't even know the going rate on the Remingtons now, but if someone is looking to buy one and get the ASG Gen 2 breech plug installed? Might be worth a look?

He sells the Remington Ultimate, but it is a Form 4473 "Firearm", so it has to be shipped to a FFL for transfer. I don't know, but if he can do the conversion and then ship, it might be worth considering.

http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/completeguns.html

He has the Gen 2 installation package conversion on sale right now for only $10 more than the plug and modules cost.

http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/asggen2_uml.html

Might be able to kill two birds with one stone?

$235 installed is a great deal for a module system and his base pricing on the RUM looks very good too. So for what, just over a grand you can get a pretty nice setup. I would go with the B&C stock though unless you want to spend a little more on pillars for the laminate.

what powder are you using.? I don't know if I am going to buy it for a pellet powder gun I never got as good results with pellets. what sabots bullet combo are you using and how are the grouping,
thanks

anaconda44 said:
what powder are you using.? I don't know if I am going to buy it for a pellet powder gun I never got as good results with pellets. what sabots bullet combo are you using and how are the grouping,
thanks

Prior to changing to the ASG Gen2 breech plug, I shot T7M pellets, three of them equalling 180grs. Atop that was a 300gr SST in a Harvester H5045LB sabot. This is out of the RUM's big brother. Accuracy is just as good and in many cases better than the shooter. The RUM's are now shooting equally well and some much better. I have 5 shot groups as in my avatar of 1.5" at 400yds and one three shot group of 1.873" at 500yds. Again from a UF not the RUM.
Do not let people BS you, no matter how much they shoot and/or hate the Ultimate platforms, for a .50cal rifle they just flat out shoot. Both the RUM and the UF. Owners who make the breech plug change, have taken the RUM to a completely different level. I know guys that are shooting the Parker Black Max bullet with exceptional accuracy to long range. A lot of whitetail, mule deer, a pile of elk and even a couple buffalo were taken at long range this past season with the RUM.
Again, the BEST possible modification for these rifles, is to replace the OEM breech plug and use the ASG Gen2 system. Once that is complete, you're completely DONE worrying about gas leaking, burned out breech plugs, along with then having the ability to shoot BH209 effectively. Actually up to 160grs volume, 112grs by weight. I'm sending the 300gr SST at 2,395fps. The ASG breech plug is warranted for life. Yes, its that good.

ENCORE50A said:
I have 5 shot groups as in my avatar of 1.5" at 400yds and one three shot group of 1.873" at 500yds. Again from a UF not the RUM.

Do you compete with Doug, Bestill, Bob, And Rick?

Idaholewis said:
ENCORE50A said:
I have 5 shot groups as in my avatar of 1.5" at 400yds and one three shot group of 1.873" at 500yds. Again from a UF not the RUM.

I've been to Friendship twice, 2015 my first time ever and I went back in 2016.
Both the groups indicated above were shot with front and rear support. No rear support allowed at Friendship.

Edit note: The first time I showed up at a match, I almost turned around and went back home. Had it not been for a member, Steve, who is now a great friend, I would have. For a first time shooter at facility that large, believe me, it was intimidating as hell. I had no clue what I would be getting into, and no clue how anything ran. There were and still are no videos showing new shooters the process and how to get started. I was there by myself, not knowing anyone or knowing how things ran.

Story......... Steve decided to take me under his wing and help me through the process. He asked me if I wanted to take a few shots and get used to shooting on the range and also foul the barrel. He pointed to the steel targets and asked me if I'd like to try them and which one. I picked the 400m turkeys. First shot and down went the turkey. Loaded and shot the second round and down went the turkey. Then Steve told me, 'I want you to shoot the third turkey'. So I loaded up, picked what I thought was the third turkey and knocked it down. That's when Steve told me it wouldn't count. WHAT?!!! I knocked it down, why wouldn't it count?!! Then he smiled and told me he tricked me and wanted me to learn. He told me all targets must be shot from left to right, so the third turkey would have been the middle and next in line, but I shot the one on the right end.

:yeah:
ENCORE50A said:
Idaholewis said:
ENCORE50A said:

I've been to Friendship twice, 2015 my first time ever and I went back in 2016.
Both the groups indicated above were shot with front and rear support. No rear support allowed at Friendship.

Edit note: The first time I showed up at a match, I almost turned around and went back home. Had it not been for a member, Steve, who is now a great friend, I would have. For a first time shooter at facility that large, believe me, it was intimidating as hell. I had no clue what I would be getting into, and no clue how anything ran. There were and still are no videos showing new shooters the process and how to get started. I was there by myself, not knowing anyone or knowing how things ran.

Story......... Steve decided to take me under his wing and help me through the process. He asked me if I wanted to take a few shots and get used to shooting on the range and also foul the barrel. He pointed to the steel targets and asked me if I'd like to try them and which one. I picked the 400m turkeys. First shot and down went the turkey. Loaded and shot the second round and down went the turkey. Then Steve told me, 'I want you to shoot the third turkey'. So I loaded up, picked what I thought was the third turkey and knocked it down. That's when Steve told me it wouldn't count. WHAT?!!! I knocked it down, why wouldn't it count?!! Then he smiled and told me he tricked me and wanted me to learn. He told me all targets must be shot from left to right, so the third turkey would have been the middle and next in line, but I shot the one on the right end.

Back