Renegade PRB Loads for Whitetails?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a barely used Renegade off a guy on another site a few years back. Gun is in excellent shape. Planned on shooting patch-n-ball for hunting whitetails. Checking to see who has some load suggestions for me to get started with.
Thx, Joe

Last edited:
You didn't say what caliber?
The best group I've ever gotten out of my .54 cal Renegade is with 75 grains of 2f, a .530 ball (Speer) and some TC .015" store bought patches with Natural lube 1000 plus. Most will say to avoid the store bought lubed patches, as you have no idea how long they've been on the shelf and a lubed patch breaks down over a period of time, but mine just loves the darn things. 1" group at 50 yards if I do my part every shot.
The next best groups I get with a hunting type patch lube is the same load as above but with .018" patches lubed with either straight olive oil or with a 5:1 ratio of Denatured Alcohol and Castor oil. If interested in the latter lube, you mix 1 part Castor oil to 5 parts denatured alcohol and then shake the heck out of it. Dip patches in it and then set them on some wax paper. The alcohol will evaporate and just leave a film of Castor oil. I get about 2-1/2" groups out of this at 50 yards. The ratio can be played with to improve groups, best ratio is usually reported to be in the 6:1 to 8:1 neighborhood. I tried 8:1 and on a fouled barrel it was a nightmare to load without swabbing the barrel for even a second follow up shot. So I then tried 5:1 which loads much better. Haven't tried any other ratio yet.

I used 70gr powder, .535 balls and store bought patches in my 54 Renegade and got cloverleaf three-shot groups at 75 yds. As an added bonus, Maxi-balls with 90gr shot just as tight groups and to the same point of impact at 75 yds.

I use 80gr of Goex 2F, .015 pillow ticking patches, and either a .490 or .530 RB in my .50 and .54 Renegades with great results.
I also have some Goex 3F that I’m gonna try to work up some loads for my .50s as soon as I can get to the range. Probably will end up between 70-80gr too.

You didn't say what caliber?
The best group I've ever gotten out of my .54 cal Renegade is with 75 grains of 2f, a .530 ball (Speer) and some TC .015" store bought patches with Natural lube 1000 plus. Most will say to avoid the store bought lubed patches, as you have no idea how long they've been on the shelf and a lubed patch breaks down over a period of time, but mine just loves the darn things. 1" group at 50 yards if I do my part every shot.
The next best groups I get with a hunting type patch lube is the same load as above but with .018" patches lubed with either straight olive oil or with a 5:1 ratio of Denatured Alcohol and Castor oil. If interested in the latter lube, you mix 1 part Castor oil to 5 parts denatured alcohol and then shake the heck out of it. Dip patches in it and then set them on some wax paper. The alcohol will evaporate and just leave a film of Castor oil. I get about 2-1/2" groups out of this at 50 yards. The ratio can be played with to improve groups, best ratio is usually reported to be in the 6:1 to 8:1 neighborhood. I tried 8:1 and on a fouled barrel it was a nightmare to load without swabbing the barrel for even a second follow up shot. So I then tried 5:1 which loads much better. Haven't tried any other ratio yet.
Sorry 'bout that. Mine is .50 cal. Already bought some Hornady.490 balls 177 grain. Always got plenty of Triple 7 in 2F and in 3F laying around. Got some Ox Yoke .015 patches and some TC pillow ticking. Triple 7 has always done me right with conicals and sabots. Was hoping to use some to push the round balls.

Most will disagree, but in my opinion save the 777 powder for the in-lines. Even in a percussion rifle, I see a observable delay in ignition when comparing blackpowder to 777 or other substitute powders. Blackpowder has a much lower flashpoint. But, if it works who can argue with success.

As for loads, I agree with the others. My T/C .54 Renegade loves 90 gr FFF, 0.015 pillow ticking and a Hornady round ball sitting on top.

Enjoy.

I won't disagree. Black powder works so much better in sidelocks.

Jack......What the average distance for your kills? 75-80gr is a good number for 3f or 2F for whitetails if the distance is not too far. Using too much powder with a PRB tends to expand it too fast and you may not get full penetration. That's with pure lead balls.

I won't disagree. Black powder works so much better in sidelocks.

Jack......What the average distance for your kills? 75-80gr is a good number for 3f or 2F for whitetails if the distance is not too far. Using too much powder with a PRB tends to expand it too fast and you may not get full penetration. That's with pure lead balls.
Thinking my shots will average about 50 yds. Don't think I will attempt a shot over 80 yds with patch n ball with open sights. Might pick up some Swiss 2F and 3F to throw in the mix. Any of you guys use Swiss to shoot PRB's?

Yes I use Swiss 2Fg in my .54 Renegade. 90grs with .530" RB and .018" pillow ticking patch
Thinking my shots will average about 50 yds. Don't think I will attempt a shot over 80 yds with patch n ball with open sights. Might pick up some Swiss 2F and 3F to throw in the mix. Any of you guys use Swiss to shoot PRB's?

Latest posts

Back