Renegade range session.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1874sharpsshooter

Reaction score
I decided to try out a Renegade I got from a friend. I don't really like a 1:48 twist. I usually stay with either fast or slow but this Renegade i was told had a Douglas barrel. I am a big fan of Douglas barrels so I decided to go with it in spite of it being a 1:48.
Wind was blowing so i stayed at 50 yards , besides that, my eyes with open sights aren't that great anymore. I didn't have any patches lubed up with ballistol/water mix so i decided to just use pillow tick patches prelubed with bore butter for now.
I started with 70 gr 777 3f, .490 hornady round ball, .018 patch and remington caps.
I saw an old pallet laying around so I fashioned a makeshift shooting table from it.
I used a caldwell front bag. For the first shot I used a rear bag also. I didn't like that so shots 2 thru 10 I just used my shoulder and the front bag. That actually worked much better.
Overall the gun shot well. I was pleased. I might just ditch the fiber optics and put a stock sight on and use it for the Rendevouz. I need to see how it does stretched out to 100 yards before i can really decide that. But for hunting at 50 yards i think it is ready to go. :mrgreen:

bottom left hole was with the rear bag. other two holes were just using my shoulder

here's 10 shots .

I was happy considering I didn't change anything to try and achieve better accuracy. With moving to the dry patch method, weighing the balls, and varying the powder charge it can be tweaked to be even better I think.

Good Shooten!!!

I am surprised that you did not burn the bottom of the patches with that load of T7-3f. I have always had to use a wad on top of the powder.

I would suggest to you those old Renegades with contract barrels were all very good shooters.

I have used the Rene's for Rondy for several years - still wish I had a real RB twist barrel but the Renes all worked well for me...

Waiting to see your 100 yard shot(s)

Here are some random PRB targets from the different Renegades

That is good shooting. Especially for not liking open sights. And I agree, the sights on a Renegade are not my favorite either. I do like the old style buckhorn sights. I had a peep on a Renegade and it shot real well but I didn't like hunting with it. In fact when Wisconsin allowed 1x scopes, I mounted a T/C Hawken 1x32 on my renegade and it was a real good shooter with that scope. But a Rendezvous might frown on head gear.

I never tried that Ballistol/water mix much. I know it sound strange but the smell of that Ballistol about turns my stomach. Don't know why. Yet Hoppes is like a perfume.

after reading sabotloaders post i decided to go back and look for some patches and check them. That seemed to be harder to do than it should have been but I finally found some. here is what the patches looked like

cayuga said:
That is good shooting. Especially for not liking open sights. And I agree, the sights on a Renegade are not my favorite either. I do like the old style buckhorn sights. I had a peep on a Renegade and it shot real well but I didn't like hunting with it. In fact when Wisconsin allowed 1x scopes, I mounted a T/C Hawken 1x32 on my renegade and it was a real good shooter with that scope. But a Rendezvous might frown on head gear.

I never tried that Ballistol/water mix much. I know it sound strange but the smell of that Ballistol about turns my stomach. Don't know why. Yet Hoppes is like a perfume.
You have to overcome that aversion to Ballistol. It's the best way to go for accuracy . :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

1874sharpsshooter said:
after reading sabotloaders post i decided to go back and look for some patches and check them. That seemed to be harder to do than it should have been but I finally found some. here is what the patches looked like

Awesome!

And I was using just plane cotton patches...

very nice condition on them patches. I've had some that were almost blown fully apart. If any powder is going to destroy a patch its 777.

:applause: :applause:

Awesome shooten' with that front loader. She's a keeper :!: :!: :!:

Ray............. :yeah:

I think your shooting with the 1:48 twist was great especially for first time out. Your patches look great also. You have a nice shooter there.

Latest posts

Back