Rifle choices

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
03mossy said:
i started to check on prices for ammo, brass and everything else to compare prices, 30-06 vs. 300wm. the 06 is going to be alot cheaper to own. this being my first high powerd rifle i want to shoot it as much as posible to develope my skills as a marksman. the gun will be used 98% of the time for whitetail, with the possibility of a caribu hunt in a few years, elk, moose, maybe someday. so i think the 06 would be just fine.

as for the gun i really like the ruger 77 all weather hawkeye, nice gun right price. but TC just released yesterday a new entry level rifle called the Venture, i'll have to wait and check that out as well.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture.php

The Ruger is a fine gun. I looked at the Venture, and it looks like it may be worth taking another look. I'd like to see one in person.

As far as the .30-06, it will be a great choice of caliber. I trust you will make the right choice and that your rifle will serve you well.

Didn't Townsend Whelan once say, "The .30-06 is never a bad choice".

For the U.S., this would exclude large, dangerous bears. But it's probably been done anyway.

richdeerht said:
Didn't Townsend Whelan once say, "The .30-06 is never a bad choice".

For the U.S., this would exclude large, dangerous bears. But it's probably been done anyway.

I hope I never come across a "large, dangerous bear". but as long as i can run faster than the person i'm with... or as my father-in-law bluntly told me when we were watching a cow moose and her calf this past fall in one of our ponds "if they charge and we take off running, I'm tripping you!"

stopped at the sportsmans warehouse yesterday to see what they had and check prices. the guy lined up on the counter a Tikka, Ruger, Savage, Remington, and a Winchester. And the one that felt the best to me and i was drawn to the most was the Tikka. theres just something about it that felt right. and the price is right ($475). It's about $125 cheaper than the others (except the Win $900), so that would leave more money for glass. i usually try to buy american but i have nothin against the Finish. so i am pretty much set on the Tikka in 30-06 unless the new TC Venture really trips my trigger :lol: when it comes out.

The most important thing is the rifle fits you and you like it. Sounds like what's going on here. Good luck with it. I know I like mine.

Just something to remember is that you want the rifle to fit you when you are clothed as you would be when hunting. I rifle that fits in shirt sleeves will not necessarily fit when you are dressed for freezing weather.

DC

update-

we have family friends, they are an older couple, he is suffering bad with alshiemers. to the point where he is getting dangerous. the called my dad and i and aske dif we could get the guns out of there houre and sell them for her. i was more than happy to agree and help out. when i met her to receive the guns she said there was a weatherby with a broken stock. when i got them all home i took a look at that one first. its an old weatherby dated 1954 with a FN mauser action made in belguim/southgate calif. caliberd in 300 weatherby mag. the blueing is perfect and it already has a timney trigger. so i am buying it from her and ordering a stock from rifle-stocks.com. the stocks come unfinished so i will get to do that part. i will post pics and details when it arives (10-12 weeks). ammo's expensive but i will reload for it.

there is some pretty neat guns in the collection- a E.remington & sons cival war revolver dated 1858(navy version case hardend.) a governtment model colt 45 from 1934. a colt woodsman from 1939. a colt python 357 from 1962. a bunch of shotguns and a ruger m77 7mag from 1979.

its a sad situation but i am honored to help out and try to get them some extra funds they will need.

03mossy said:
update-

we have family friends, they are an older couple, he is suffering bad with alshiemers. to the point where he is getting dangerous. the called my dad and i and aske dif we could get the guns out of there houre and sell them for her. i was more than happy to agree and help out. when i met her to receive the guns she said there was a weatherby with a broken stock. when i got them all home i took a look at that one first. its an old weatherby dated 1954 with a FN mauser action made in belguim/southgate calif. caliberd in 300 weatherby mag. the blueing is perfect and it already has a timney trigger. so i am buying it from her and ordering a stock from rifle-stocks.com. the stocks come unfinished so i will get to do that part. i will post pics and details when it arives (10-12 weeks). ammo's expensive but i will reload for it.

there is some pretty neat guns in the collection- a E.remington & sons cival war revolver dated 1858(navy version case hardend.) a governtment model colt 45 from 1934. a colt woodsman from 1939. a colt python 357 from 1962. a bunch of shotguns and a ruger m77 7mag from 1979.

its a sad situation but i am honored to help out and try to get them some extra funds they will need.

that weatherby will be a nice rifle. that ruger 7 mag would be very nice too.

I hope that you dont mind my "five cents worth"

I have hunted with 30-06, 308 and Browning 300 Winchester Mag for many years. My favorite by far was the Winchester Mag. Moose at 300 yards. For me the perfect round and my all time favorite. I actually shelved everything else and hunted for everything with the 300Win Mag. Even whitetail.

Until a friend offered me his Tikka 300WSM. Less recoil. Straighter shooting. I mean absolutely straight shooting. If push came to shove I would feel comfortable taking a deer through the head at 250 yards, but wouldnt because I dont like it ethically. But I believe that I would make the shot 9 out of 10. Its the 1 that would stop me doing it. The Tikka is phenomenal. I have the Tikka T3 light in stainless. I had to put a heavy scope on it to give the gun some weight as it was kicking a fair bit. But like all Tikka rifles this thing is magnificent. With a heavy scope it settled down beautifully.

Until I discovered Muzzleloading I can honestly say I could have given away all of my rifles and just had the 300wsm. It is amazing. The knockdown power is sensational. Deer, moose and Black bear. The 300WSM kills them efficiantly and quickly. Most of the time they drop. It is the most ethical and convincing round that I have ever used. Better than the 300 Win Mag, and I never thought that I would be able to say that.

Hope that this helps.

stompie- thanks for the reply as you made some good points. the search has ended though the 300 weatherby is officially mine, now i am just searching for the right stock and then scope!

Choice

I have a 700 bdl in 30-06. Deadly accurate with handloads, recoil is no prob . Also have a .300 win mag sendaro in a heavy barrel and precision stock . Recoil is no prob , gun weighs 12 pounds, also deadly accurate with handloads. Had a 7mm mag in a encore. Rattled my teeth when I shot it. accuracy was poor but it turned out to be a bad barrel. I had them send me a 25-06 to replace it, Shoots good with handloads.
Wayles

My Dad swore by Weatherby rifles. As did many people that I know and hunted with in Africa. I am pleased for you. It will be an awesome gun. And it comes with history. That is really special.

Back