Rifle choices

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
700 Rem in 7mm Mag. Cant go wrong there. I have a friend who has shoot the 300 WSM and he says the round heats up the barrel on the first shot and needs to cool because the groups start to open up. Just thought I'd pass that along.

so far i think i am leaning towards the Rem. 700sps w/ the stainless steel. the only concern i have is that the stock might be a cheap version. its not upgraded like the win or tc. but for the price i could get that and a VXIII for the same price just the rifle of the other two brands would cost me. and i could always upgrade the stock later. or get one of the other two with the upgraded stock from the start.... hmmmmm

as for savage- they sure have alot of models out there, i am assumeing i would want one with the accutrigger but does anybody know the differences between all the models. there website is kidda vague

gun

)#Mossy, all these are good guns. I have been told many time that the newer guns will shoot, spend money on your optics. I have an 06' and 7MM Mag both pumps. I gaurantee I can shoot with most anyone. I think I can od better than most because I bought great optics. I shoot better than most w/ most any gun because i practice. Buy it and learn to shoot it just like these ML's they got a mind of their own! Enjoy!

TC has a coating they promote that stands the weather better than stainless steel although is looks about that color if blasted.

jims said:
TC has a coating they promote that stands the weather better than stainless steel although is looks about that color if blasted.

each company has a model with "special" coating of some sorts. TC calls theres wethershield, rem calls theres XCR(extreme conditions rifle, win calls theres the extreme weather. the thing is with tc's weathershield it does not come in the long action, so if you want the 300winmag in an icon you have to go blued/wood. anybody actually know if any of these new coatings actually work or is it just a gimic?

another option i'd like an opinion on is the Encore Prohunter. the feel of the PH is great and everything i here is there tack divers!

I have a Ruger 77 All weather in 300 mag that is one of my favorite rifles. What ever you pick if this is a go any where do everything rifle my vote is stainless and synthetic. I like pretty guns too but for hunting in any kind of weather I take the stainless synthetic. I would handload for this caliber/gun and you will see how well it takes game.

Any of those 3 rifles should be fine. It's personal preference. I'm partial to Winchesters, but I also like Remington, Ruger and Tikka rifles, too.

The .300 Win mag will have significant recoil, and the ammo won't be cheap. There's a number of reasons that that .270 and .30-06 are so popular.

Of your 3 choices, the Remington would probably be the "best for the money choice". If price is not a major consideration, I'd vote for the Winchester.

You can't go wrong with any of these 3 rifles.

yes price is a factor! i still have to put a scope on the thing as well, and with optics more than anything you get what you pay for! i have also started looking pretty hard at a Savage (weather worrior 116fcss) they seem to be a nice gun, and has all the features i like and the price is right.

ok- everybody keeps talking about the 300's terrible recoil, how bad is it really? i have no problem with recoil now(slug gun, ml, anything). but is it that bad where i'm not even going to want to take it to the range. might have to reconsider the 30-06 if it is.

I perceive less recoil from my .300 than with my ML and certainly less than my slug gun. If you handle them you should do well with the .300.

Recoil on my 300 WM it not that bad but I do have a good Sims recoil pad on it. The design of the stock and how it fits you will play a big part in how it is perceived.

DC

I don't think the 300 WM will recoil as hard as a slug gun so you should be ok. As I've said before, the only place to notice recoil is at the range. In the field I've never noticed it. Must be something with adrenilen.

gun

Go buy the gun! or go to Cabels Gun Library and purchase a new/used 300 winnie. Custom guns all the way for decent money!

If cost is a concern then a used 700 is unquestionably the best choice for you. If you spend even a short period of time looking on the auction sites you will be able to find a upgraded 700 for close to the price of a new gun.

Here is the type of gun I would be looking at personally...if you keep an eye out for guns like this sooner or later you will grab one that is far better than what you can get off the shelf for almost the same price...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =119979430

JC

thanks for the tip JC. thats a good find right there. is gunbroker a safe place to buy guns?

i stopped at a gun shop today i was driving by to see what he had and to get my hands on a few. told him i was buying a rifle this spring and that i was just looking for today. he right away grabbed a browning a-bolt blued/black syth. the stock felt terrible! but other than that it seemed fine for $589. i then said that i was looking for something in the .300winmag. he then said "why would i want to go and do something so stupid". turns out he bought 70 of these a-bolts in 300wsm. he said the wsm is better cause its short action and has better ballistics and less recoil. and that he doesn't even sell any 300winmags anymore, they are getting replaced with the wsm! i asked if he had any savages, because i still have not seen one in person with the accutrigger. he said the accutrigger is a joke and all hype and any stock trigger is better. i really don't have a point to this just thought i would pass my experiance on with this gun "salesman".

He has to sell what he has I suppose. I still have yet to find anything my '06 won't handle. I don't seem to shoot the 300 mags as well. I guess I am anticipating the recoil.

Oh, and if this is just a hunting gun, I would look at the Stevens 200. It is pretty much a Savage without the accutrigger and a low end synthetic stock. Most shoot much better than I can and many I know of are MOA shooters for about $300. That leaves a lot of money for glass...

I think that salesman is trying to sell what he has in stock. The 300 WM and 300 WSM are close in ballistics but the 300 WM is still faster IMO. I have the 300 WSM and am pleased with it. When I bought mine I had considered the 300 WM but wanted something new and different.
Recoil is so dependant on stock and weight.
I you have your heart set on 300 WM and had it narrowed down to 3 makes of rifles, check all three out and pick the one that feels best to you.

I have literally bought many thousands of dollars guns online and have yet to have a poor experience. While I have had some very minor differences from what I expected those experiences were far outweighed by the many pleasant surprises I have had.

Now that being said...since you are looking for a very standard gun there is no reasons you should expect any surprises at all, (I often buy custom guns where you take a few more chances with your purchases.) With a Remington 700 in a fairly standard configuration in like new shape there really is not to much to worry about. In fact it is the competition on the gunsites that makes that possible. While your dealer might jump through hoops to get you to buy what he has...there is no such problem with the online sites. You simply buy only exactly what you want.

If you need any help looking around or have any question just ask. The only thing you need to keep in mind if you do decide to buy on line is that the shipping and FFL transfer fees will cost you a little extra...but with any good deal those cost will more than make up for themselves in either a cheaper price or added quality, upgrades etc. in the gun.

JC

(BTW..I see that gun only has a day left and while I am certain it will get bid higher you should very seriously consider it if goes for anything less than $600-650 if that is in your budget....That gun usually sells new for upwards of $700 new and has a $125+ upgraded Teflon coating, a $50 trigger job and has had a bedding job which can easily run another $100 or more.)

vabowhntr said:
He has to sell what he has I suppose. I still have yet to find anything my '06 won't handle. I don't seem to shoot the 300 mags as well. I guess I am anticipating the recoil.

Oh, and if this is just a hunting gun, I would look at the Stevens 200. It is pretty much a Savage without the accutrigger and a low end synthetic stock. Most shoot much better than I can and many I know of are MOA shooters for about $300. That leaves a lot of money for glass...

the stevens model 200 is a great gun, i have one in .223 for coyote/varmint hunting and some target shooting, i reload my own ammo for it but it will consistently shoot 3/4 inch groups or better at 100 yards

100_0388.jpg

i started to check on prices for ammo, brass and everything else to compare prices, 30-06 vs. 300wm. the 06 is going to be alot cheaper to own. this being my first high powerd rifle i want to shoot it as much as posible to develope my skills as a marksman. the gun will be used 98% of the time for whitetail, with the possibility of a caribu hunt in a few years, elk, moose, maybe someday. so i think the 06 would be just fine.

as for the gun i really like the ruger 77 all weather hawkeye, nice gun right price. but TC just released yesterday a new entry level rifle called the Venture, i'll have to wait and check that out as well.

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/venture.php

shooter

I like the detachable clip. I truly think until you get into the custom barrels and guns these are all gonna shoot for you. Put the money in an 06' and buy fantastically expensive optics, the absolute best you can buy. Not a deer will get by your gun, now you is a different story!

Back