Rio Grande Muzzleloader

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a 1-24 twist, comes with williams iron sights and takes 11 and 35 mounting plates for a scope. Weighs 10 pounds and ships out with 2 boxes of bullets.

Just received my Rio Grande muzzleloader. Fastest ship job ever, got it today at noon. Great packaging job. Very nice looking and handling muzzleloader. It WEIGHS 6 1/2 pounds, and is definitely a white inbreed. Will put it on the to shoot list with the other half dozen. Lol 😂

Rifle came in late this afternoon. Well packed and I must say, it's a beauty. Took the breechplug out using a 3/8 in socket with no issues. Checked fit of my CCI Magnum caps. Nice tight fit. Barrel rifling looks great. I then played with the bolt assy, spring is darnn strong! I don't have any Whites so this is a new type of bolt to me but seems to work well. The bolt breaks down into 3 pieces, spring, handle and striker. Striker hold the spring and part of the bolt. Seems to handle nicely and I am looking forward to shooting it this spring. Manual says it's pre-sighted but of course to check it and to start out using 80gr (V) of powder.

John

Mine showed up yesterday evening. Super fast shipping and well packaged. Compared to my white rifles, it's definitely a clone. I think I like this stock a little better than the whites. Very balanced and sturdy. Definitely worth the money. Can't wait to throw some lead with it.

My Rio Grande was delivered yesterday. I like it. Light, short, handy rifle. I was surprised that the bolt assembly cocks on close like a Lee Enfield. After cocking, if you lift the bolt handle, the spring tension will immediately decock the bolt. Then with no cap on the nipple, just pull and hold the trigger, then push the back of the bolt with your thumb to close it. Push the bolt handle down. I have never seen another like it, and a price from yesteryear !! Gotta love it !! What I’m referring to as the bolt is the hammer or striker

Last edited:
I wonder if the breechplugs are the same? I sent Marlowe an email asking if he has any in stock. No reply yet. Does anyone know if Bestill is making the ones with replaceable nipples?

Mounted a Bushnell Banner 3-9X that has the Circle X cross hair. I plan on ultimately mounting a Bushnell Elite 1-4x24 that I have but need to get some 30mm rings for it. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots this spring. Figured I try 70-90 grains of 777 FFG and maybe some BP with the supplied bullets. Also ordered two breechplugs from Marlowe, a #11 nipple and a musket cap one. Hoping they fit! If not, you'll see them in the classifieds!

Attachments

• 20240203_190247.jpg
    20240203_190247.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240203_190159.jpg
    20240203_190159.jpg
    883.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240203_190130.jpg
    20240203_190130.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Mounted a Bushnell Banner 3-9X that has the Circle X cross hair. I plan on ultimately mounting a Bushnell Elite 1-4x24 that I have but need to get some 30mm rings for it. Looking forward to seeing how it shoots this spring. Figured I try 70-90 grains of 777 FFG and maybe some BP with the supplied bullets. Also ordered two breechplugs from Marlowe, a #11 nipple and a musket cap one. Hoping they fit! If not, you'll see them in the classifieds!
Let us know if they fit. I shot mine today, 420 g NE .504 bullets and 100 gr of Shooters world 3F. Seemed OK, range had 4 feet of snow on it but I was there and needed to at least I shot it. 😀 The bullets were .503 the typical( in my experience) .001" under what was marked seated very well and had a nice tight fit. Used a .060" veggie wad. They hit the snow bank in the same spot at 25.

Im a big fan of low powered variable scopes for deer hunting. My old Rem 700 in 270 wore a Bushnell 1.75 x 5 for over 30 yrs (till I upgraded it to a Leupold VX 2, 3 x 9.)
I found that i had a lot more shots where i needed to shoot quick than those 300 yarders you hear so much about. It was as quick as a shotgun bead on target.
Oh, and I bought the old Bushnell NIB at a yard sale for $15 bucks.

Latest posts

Back