RMC Flintlocks ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shot my old style acusporter for the first time last week. Accuracy was only fair with 348 powerbelts and 240 grain PR bullets. My rifle is 1/28 twist. In the past, my best accuracy with fast twist barrels has been with SSTs and Barne's expanders. Unfortunately, until I replace their POS noodle ramrod, I will be unable to load tight fitting sabots. On a more positive note, lock time is very fast.

I was at RMC on Saturday. They are out of the old-style Accusporter flintlock rifles. They may get a few more in next year as the remaining parts inventory gets built out.

Well I saved myself $300 today on a fast twistin Flintlock!!! Thats how I view it anyway. :lol: Decided to get a Green Mountain "Drop In" for my TC PA Hunter flintlock. My TC has a beautiful walnut stock & great lock so after much research & comparisons...I decided that a New Barrel was the way to go.

I did some research of the various dealer's listed at the Green MTN. Barrel web page carrying their barrels.

RMC Sports has the PA Hunter flintlock 28" barrel with 1-28 twist (Order Number: ML-540) and sells for $179.99. They are $185 from Green Mountain. Track Of The Wolf only has percussion bbls in the 1-28. A good price per my comparing of a few other dealer price listings plus keeps money in PA! :grin: Will fit any of the TC PA Hunter flintlocks including the carbine model. These Green Mountain Barrels come with RMC AimRight Fiber Optic Sights, and RMC's Rugged Rod. Ready to "drop into" your TC PA Hunter, TC Hawken, Lyman or RMC Rifle to upgrade your existing barrel.

Mine will be shipped today! :)

RMC Web Site:

http://www.rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

ml1021.jpg

Loggy said:
Well I saved myself $300 today on a fast twistin Flintlock!!! Thats how I view it anyway. :lol: Decided to get a Green Mountain "Drop In" for my TC PA Hunter flintlock. My TC has a beautiful walnut stock & great lock so after much research & comparisons...I decided that a New Barrel was the way to go.

I did some research of the various dealer's listed at the Green MTN. Barrel web page carrying their barrels.

RMC Sports has the PA Hunter flintlock 28" barrel with 1-28 twist (Order Number: ML-540) and sells for $179.99. They are $185 from Green Mountain. Track Of The Wolf only has percussion bbls in the 1-28. A good price per my comparing of a few other dealer price listings plus keeps money in PA! :grin: Will fit any of the TC PA Hunter flintlocks including the carbine model. These Green Mountain Barrels come with RMC AimRight Fiber Optic Sights, and RMC's Rugged Rod. Ready to "drop into" your TC PA Hunter, TC Hawken, Lyman or RMC Rifle to upgrade your existing barrel.

Mine will be shipped today! :)

RMC Web Site:

http://www.rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

ml1021.jpg

Loggy I think you are really going to like that Green Mountain fast twist barrel. When they had them on sale I bought two of the Stainless Steel 1-28 twist barrels that go on my Renegade Rifle. Talk about a good shooting rifle!!!

100 grains of Goex 2f and a 300 grain Hornady XTP and this barrel of mine will shoot excellent groups all day long...

Good luck with the rifle and keep us posted how it shoots...

Thanks cayuga,

I will post shooting report. I emailed GM Barrel Company to get bbl specs. Dont have a Mic & would like to know L to L specs? Not sure if you know or not? I have some 348 grain Powerbelt Aerotips I may try first. They shot great out of some cva in-lines I had w/1-28 bbls.

Yeah, I saw that deal Green Mtn. had on those SS 1-28 twisters. Bet they went like hot cakes!

Have you tried & No Excuses out of those bbls?

Tom,

I cut my first ML Teeth on the 1-66 bbl with rb's & will certainly keep original bbl. After shootin some of these fast twistin in-line's coupled with the generous 3 week (Flintlock Only) Season we have in PA...why not maximize my ole PA Hunter flintlock.

There are no fast twist bbls available for the TC Firestorm at this time ...likely do to the Firestorms removable breechplug design which its stock is designed around. My Firestorm does have one of the fastest lock times I've ever seen in a flinter. The lock may find itself encased within some walnut shortly since both guns have identical TC locks. :lol:

Per all my reading of the Green Mountain drop-in barrels...it was an investment easy to sell myself on.

Loggy said:
Thanks cayuga,

I will post shooting report. I emailed GM Barrel Company to get bbl specs. Dont have a Mic & would like to know L to L specs? Not sure if you know or not? I have some 348 grain Powerbelt Aerotips I may try first. They shot great out of some cva in-lines I had w/1-28 bbls.

Yeah, I saw that deal Green Mtn. had on those SS 1-28 twisters. Bet they went like hot cakes!

Have you tried & No Excuses out of those bbls?

I did not need two barrels but for that price I thought I would put a scope on one of them. It really does some impressive shooting. I was shooting some .458 diameter 300 grain Hornady HP out of it the other day. Of course with winter again the shooting bench is frozen to the ground at the 30 yard station. At that distance with the open sights it just keeps putting them in the same place. Those 300 grain Hornady HP have a strange nose on them. They look like they would really hold together in a hunting situation.

I have a chance to buy a Firestorm from a guy here. He told me it had a 1-28 twist which I told him they did not have. I think I will buy it anyway.

Good luck with your hunting and new barrel.

cayuga,

Did you mic or happen to get the specs of those GM barrels?

I don't even own a mic and all I have is the pamphlet they send with the barrels. My personal barrels are not fussy at all about what they load. I've loaded a lot of different projectiles..

Thanks cayuga. I dont have a mic either & even if hade one likely wouldnt know how to use it. :lol:

I was thinkin about trying some of my No Excuse 460 grain (.503 Sized) conicals & was just curious about the Green Mountain bbl size. I know my Super 91 is sized at .504 & the NO Excuses shoot great.

cayuga said:
I have a chance to buy a Firestorm from a guy here. He told me it had a 1-28 twist which I told him they did not have. I think I will buy it anyway.

I believe that the early firestorms were 1:28 twist up until the time the caplock version was discontinued. I have an early SS flintlock version with 1:28 twist that is very accurate with powerbelts and hornady GPs. Mine is a fine rifle and would recommend you acquire one given the chance, if you prefer the longer bullets.

Well then from what you say, this person might indeed have a 1-28 twist firestorm. When I was talking to him, he was positive of the twist rate, and said he shoots conicals and sabots from it. I told him I had no knowledge about the rifle, and all I knew was they were 1-48 twist. This makes things real interesting...

thanks for the info.

WOW!! What fast service from RMC. I ordered barrel yesterday and was on my front porch this evening!! :)

Outstanding quality & perfect fit. Touch hole alignment perfect ...same as original bbl plus stock fit great! The RMC AimRight Fiber Optic Sights are a set of the best I've ever seen & RMC's Rugged Ram Rod is top shelf quality. This is my second order from RMC & I'm very impressed with this fine PA Company in all respects. Cant wait to shoot this baby!

Pic Of Lock W/New Barrel

DSCF0232.jpg

Pic OF Front Sight

DSCF0230.jpg

Pic OF Rear Sight

DSCF0231.jpg

WOW! that is real pretty. I can't wait to hear how it shoots for you.

WOW! that is real pretty. I can't wait to hear how it shoots for you.

Thanks cayuga. I was amazed in how perfectly barrel fit. This is the first "drop in" bbl I ever bot for a flinter & opens up a whole new realm of bullet potential vs the original 1-66 bbl.

Hope to get out New Years Day & will put up range report.

Thanks Guys. I think it will be one mean huntin flinter!

Grouse, flint is a new German Agate! What you likely see is a strip of lead I use in jaw to enhance frizzen hit & spark. Spark output looks like 4th of July Fireworks. :lol:

Latest posts

Back