RMC Flintlocks ??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
I had this post on our Old Board and thought with all the new folks etc. joining in since then... maybe I could get some addl info. I didnt buy one yet I'm still thinking about it. Seems like a really nice fast twist flinter...faster than any TC or other major manufactures carry.

I called the folks at RMC twice now to discuss their guns plus they sent me their catalog. I'm was impressed with their sincerity & depth on how they handled my many questions.

They have Green Mtn. BBL's and fitted with the L&R lock. 28" 1-28 twist barrel goes for $409 to your door. ($369 for non-removable breech plug model). Sights are high quality metal F.O.'s and comes with a removable breech plug (Accusporter LTD). NO SHIPPING and comes in hard case.

Any input greatly appreciated. :D

3 Different Laminated Accusporter LTD's available:

accuporter3.jpg
[/img]

Ed,

I see they have them listed in Left Hand Models. RMC is up near State College. I hope to get buy and take a peek.

May be a great Flinter for our Late FL Season!

Their Web Page has alot of good info: http://rmcsports.com/

Loggy, it figures, they only carry them in those 50cal Magnums! :lol: :lol:

They sure look good and I like that they have a 1:28" twist to them. It should make them more versatile as to the type of bullets you can shoot with them.

Ed

Yeah Ed, I really like the idea of having a 1-28" Flinter. My TC Firestorm has a 1-48 & my PA Hunter has a 1-66 twist.

Seems I'm a little light in the faster twistin flinters. :lol: :lol:

Not sure why they only carry the BIG 50's? :lol: I think all of TC flintlocks are 50's also.

:lol: Didnt realize that Lyman also only carried the Big 50's. Maybe there's is a hidden message there Ed. :lol:

Most likely due to popularity of 50 Cal accessories etc.

Loggy,
I kinda figured you all ready had one of those bad boys at the house!

Chuck, I am very close to pulling the trigger! Would be great to get some RMC users experience but seems not a whole lot of owners out there. :D

I have hunted with flintlocks in PA for almost 30 years. The first priority has to be reliable ignition. Then comes accuracy. All my guns are rifled for round ball, since that's all that was permitted for many years. Now I shoot the Hornady PA conical.

TC guns are nice, but the frizzens have often been too soft. Re-hardening or installing a Lyman frizzen is a good fix. Lyman guns are all pretty good.
I've seen some good CVA's, and some that weren't.
I've gone to building my own guns, with L&R locks. I think the L&R lock is the best. Siler, Chambers and Davis locks are good, too.

I think the RMC gun is outstanding because the price is comparable to TC or Lyman, and it's a custom-quality gun. You couldn't build a gun yourself (just materials!) for much under this price with these components.

:D Thanks much richdeerht for your fine input & welcome to our Board!

I have handled a few RMC Flintlocks(never fired one) and boy are they nice....I am going to order one soon. They come with a L&R lock that is suppose to be a lightening fast lock.
I figured the LTD is the way to go with the breechplug included.
Encore28

:D Hi Encore28. I favor the breech plug model too. My TC Firestorm flinter has a breech plug & sure makes clean-up easier.

Loggy, I think my next gun will be a flintlock, and that RMC looks like it might fit the bill.

Also, a 1-in-28" twist won't shoot roundballs very well, will it? Will 1-in-48" be slow enough, or do you really need to slow it down to 1-in-66" to get the best accuracy with patched balls?

Do you know if I could order it with a custom barrel in .54 and/or a slower twist? If they're using Green Mountain barrels, I would think supply should not be a problem. (I'm thinking the breech plug resizing might be the sticking point, though.)

Are you guys serious about these being good looking guns? :huh?: They sure don't look too fancy to me! But, then if they are good shooters, who cares about the looks!

I like the nice, smooth lines and the lack of any flashy brass stuff to catch the eye of my prey. It also looks very well balanced, suggesting the gun would handle really well and be fast to the shoulder (of course, you never know until you actually hold it).

I do wonder how much of a detractor the lack of a doubleset trigger would be, though.

If you want to shoot roundbal then the 1-66 twist would be better. If that is not offered and all they have is a 1-48 twist, then that would be a good choice. 1-48 is an all around twist. I have some 1-48 twist rifles that do an exceptional job with roundball.

Also the lack of a double set trigger is not all that big a deal. I have a number of rifles that have single triggers and they work just fine for the job at hand.

I bought one of the RMC flinters in July, when they were clearing out the non-removeable breechplug models. Cost was $300. I did have to go through a rack full of rifles to find a 1/28 with a 3lb. trigger. Some were 5-6 lbs. Next week. I plan to try some precision sabots. I'll post my results. Bill

I just bought one of their now discontinued Accusporters. The owner, Bob is a lifelong friend of mine but I didn't get any more discount because of that. I have only shot it in 2 sessions. It is a left hand short barreled 1:48 twist. They also have a 1:28 inch twist barrel. So far I have tried the 245 gr ball-ets in front of 80 gr of FFF Gooex. I don't like them because they fit too loose in my barrel. Today I shot .490 round balls with an .010 patch and it was fair. I also shot some 370 gr TC maxi balls and although they were a little tight at the muzzle they shot quite well with 80 gr of FFF gooex. My short barreled Accusporter weighs only a little over 6 lbs and with that 370 gr load it kicks like a mule at least from the bench. I am pleased enough to take it hunting in a few days. I really like that L&R lock. I doubt if you will find any more of the original accusporters as there were only two left before I bought mine. The difference between the original and the new one is a removable breech plug, a screw/bolt holding the barrel in, and a recess cut into the muzzle to facilitate loading. Bob also sells Green Mt Flint replacement barrels for $180.00 these come in Right or left hand, 15/16" in two calibers (.32 & .50) in both 24 and 28 inch lengths and in a few cases in 1:28 or 1:48 twist.

Back