Rough Omega barrel HELP

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elite-50

Reaction score
I recently purchased a NIB Omega, when swabbing to get the factory grease out of it yesterday I was tearing patches like I have never seen. On further inspection the inside of the barrel is rough as He!! it looks as though the final step of machineing was left out. Lands and grooves both rough. Any suggestions, don't want to send it to TCA as our muzzleloader season starts next Sat. and am trying to set it up for my Grandson.

Go shoot it.

T/C's products have a lifetime warranty so the rifle will be covered wherther you decide to shoot it or not. We don't see many rough barrel posts on this forum. T/C's barrels are button rifled which does leave a certain amount of roughness in the barrel. You will see this on Savage barrels as well...but they do shoot.

Shooting some lead bullets in your barrel should smooth it out but I hope someone else here on the forum could verify this.

Go shoot it and decide what to do after the season.

Choc-dog

Thanx Choc-dog I just came in from running 10 maxi's through it with a reduced load of 777 Ran some patches through it and presto no torn patches. Hell I think it would group the Maxi's pretty well if I could stand the recoil. Now to try some SST's

The bore on my Encore was a little rough when I got. It shot well but loading sabots was a pain in the a$$. :x I bought a jar of JB non embedding bore cleaning compound. Took it and some tight fitting patches then went to work.

I took and lightly coated the patch with the polish ran it down the bore from breech to muzzle 5 times. The patch was jet black. I continued this same procedure over the course of about 100 strokes (20 patches). Then I cleaned the bore with Hoppes #9 bore cleaner then dry patched until they came out clean. Seemed to work, when I was through the bore shined like a mirror, no more chopped up cleaning patches, and loading Shockwaves was much easier. :D

Both of my brothers did the same to their Omegas and had the same results.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back