Round ball storage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willfish4fud

Reaction score
I’ve only shot round balls a few times. For those who do so regularly and hunt with them what is your preferred way to carry extras when hunting?

This is what i want! If you can make it, i will buy 1 for sure!! I want one of these For my CVA .45 Cal Mountain Rifle

E8XrrYf.jpg

DESCRIPTION

LEATHER BALL FLASK
This is a graceful, practical, durable hard leather flask. The pattern was taken from an original flask. It is wet molded by hand from 7-8 oz. oak tan leather then dyed a deep, rich brown. The stopper is hand turned from hardwood and fits snugly into a flared copper sleeve to securely contain your round ball or shot. This flask will dispense up a .75 caliber round ball with ease. The flask can be carried by the long shoe lace strap hung from your shoulder.

It wouldn’t need to look just like that, And doesn’t need to be very big at all, in fact i would prefer it Small, no bigger than a Tennis Ball. These .440 Roundballs at 128 Grains a piece are little, it wouldn’t take a very large Flask to Carry Plenty of them!

Stick one of those round balls in with the other bullets if you haven’t sent them so I can size the neck. Got some ideas

Stick one of those round balls in with the other bullets if you haven’t sent them so I can size the neck. Got some ideas

COOL!!! But to late, i already sent em this morning. Just hold off til you check Bore Diameter, and i will send you a few when i send the Proper sized Bullets for your Gun. I am in no hurry, But I DEFINITELY want one of these from you! 35 or so of these little 440 Round Balls will fit in a Small Pouch, i bet a Golfball size would hold 12 of em? Hard for me to guess this kind of thing? They aren’t very big that’s for sure!

I got an idea, I’ll measure 35 of these on my Counter bunched up in a Rag, get a better idea of size

I’m an hour away from stores but I’ll pick some .440 up this week if I can.

Most of these are made universal in the neck, to accept .490, and .530 Ball as well, that part wouldn’t matter? Even if it’s large enough in the Neck for a larger .50-.54 Cal Ball, Just make it that much easier to get these little ones out, i guess anyway?

I use one similar to what Iew posted, but it is from a softer leather and has a copper tube for a mouth with a hand whittled plug that is tethered with a piece of leather cord. I use it when walking around and expecting to shoot a lot, or for muzzleloader shoots. As small as it looks, it will hold about 15 .54 cal RB's without any issues.
When actually deer hunting I just carry enough for 5 reloads (which is still overkill). My hunting bag has a small pocket inside that I carry the RB's in for that.

I’ve only shot round balls a few times. For those who do so regularly and hunt with them what is your preferred way to carry extras when hunting?
The question is, if I understand it right is...."What is your preferred way to carry extras when hunting"......I like to keep it simple. IF you have a patchbox on the side of your stock...just put about 3 extra balls in there and some patch material so they don't rattle. That is what I do. If I don't get my prey within 4 shots, I'm coming back to the truck or home to replenish. Now if you don't have a patchbox in your stock, then I just carry 3 in a 35mm film case with small cloth so they don't rattle. Put that in your pocket or possibles bag. Don't even think about carrying 30 or 40 balls...thats a lot of weight.

The question is, if I understand it right is...."What is your preferred way to carry extras when hunting"......I like to keep it simple. IF you have a patchbox on the side of your stock...just put about 3 extra balls in there and some patch material so they don't rattle. That is what I do. If I don't get my prey within 4 shots, I'm coming back to the truck or home to replenish. Now if you don't have a patchbox in your stock, then I just carry 3 in a 35mm film case with small cloth so they don't rattle. Put that in your pocket or possibles bag. Don't even think about carrying 30 or 40 balls...thats a lot of weight.
Thanks for the reply

I probably misunderstood the question. To carry the means to reload quickly and easily when hunting and not have to carry a lot, then the TC 4-in-1 reloaders are the way to go IMO. I don't care for how they hold the cap though, so I prefer to wear a capper around my neck. The 4-in-1's hold your measured powder charge on the top, and then your patch and ball (or conical) on the bottom. They are designed to be a short starter as well. Open the top and pour in powder, then position the bottom over the barrel and tap down on the top to get the patch/ball slightly started into the muzzle, then give the top of it a firm smack and it is then ready for the ramrod.
I have had one I was carrying in my pocket pop open and spill all of the black powder out when hunting in steep brushy terrain, so be aware of that. I haven't had that happen since I started using a shooting bag and carrying them in that. My shooting bag has a small pocket on the inside of it that I put a few extra RB's in the bottom and then the 4-in-1's side by side in it. It keeps them upright and holds them firmly. My shooting bag also has: jag, nipple wrench, de-capping/nipple pick combo tool, field flask, short starter, old snuff can with damp cleaning patches, and an old cap tin with a few extra lubed patches. I wear a powder measure around my neck with the capper. So basically the rifle is loaded, two reloaders, and then enough powder/patches/RB's for 5 more reloads...so 8 shots. If strictly deer hunting that is way overkill, but a lot of the time after a morning hunt I'll switch off to doing a little bit of coyote calling before going home. I keep hoping that it'll be a hot response day for the coyotes and I'll need all those shots, but so far I've never shot more than 3 times lol (shot one at first set, then shot another one on second set that I hit too far forward and had to use a second shot to finish).

I’m kicking around some more ideas on small pouches and looking for anything specific to roundball shooters

I probably misunderstood the question. To carry the means to reload quickly and easily when hunting and not have to carry a lot, then the TC 4-in-1 reloaders are the way to go IMO. I don't care for how they hold the cap though, so I prefer to wear a capper around my neck. The 4-in-1's hold your measured powder charge on the top, and then your patch and ball (or conical) on the bottom. They are designed to be a short starter as well. Open the top and pour in powder, then position the bottom over the barrel and tap down on the top to get the patch/ball slightly started into the muzzle, then give the top of it a firm smack and it is then ready for the ramrod.
I have had one I was carrying in my pocket pop open and spill all of the black powder out when hunting in steep brushy terrain, so be aware of that. I haven't had that happen since I started using a shooting bag and carrying them in that. My shooting bag has a small pocket on the inside of it that I put a few extra RB's in the bottom and then the 4-in-1's side by side in it. It keeps them upright and holds them firmly. My shooting bag also has: jag, nipple wrench, de-capping/nipple pick combo tool, field flask, short starter, old snuff can with damp cleaning patches, and an old cap tin with a few extra lubed patches. I wear a powder measure around my neck with the capper. So basically the rifle is loaded, two reloaders, and then enough powder/patches/RB's for 5 more reloads...so 8 shots. If strictly deer hunting that is way overkill, but a lot of the time after a morning hunt I'll switch off to doing a little bit of coyote calling before going home. I keep hoping that it'll be a hot response day for the coyotes and I'll need all those shots, but so far I've never shot more than 3 times lol (shot one at first set, then shot another one on second set that I hit too far forward and had to use a second shot to finish).
Both replies were informative thanks. I’m working on some new pouch designs and wanting input from round ball guys be it target or hunting.

My perfect pouch is around a 6" size, has a divider to make two compartments inside the bag, and then the "compartment" closest to my body also has another smaller pocket. The bag is made of stiffened leather so it holds its shape and doesn't collapse or fold.
The small pocket holds a nipple wrench and nipple pick tool in the bottom and has two 4 in 1 loaders side by side standing up in it that are ready to go. The same compartment it is in would have a ball bag, lubed patches in an old cap tin, and a short starter. My homemade antler short starter has a hole drilled in one end to serve as a palm saver. The other compartment would hold a field flask and some barely damp swabs. The jag is on the end of the ram rod and I wear a straight capper and antler powder measure around my neck. For club shoots, I like the strap or some part of the bag to have a loop to hold the short starter on the outside of the bag. For the cut at the muzzle guys a patch knife holder on the strap would be nice too. This would be the perfect bag set up in my eyes.
I only reload with the 4 in 1's if it is the super rare occasion that a speedy follow up shot is needed. 99% of the time I shoot, the critter runs out of sight, and then I reload without using the speed loaders since I want to give it time before tracking anyway.
PM me if you make one, I'll be your first customer. I can find a variation of all of the above, but they are always missing something that I want/prefer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back