Round nose vs meplat test

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Found this test that a guy did with a .22lr.
He made a jig to flatten (meplat) his bullet nose.
Compared the std round nose vs flat meplat.
Shot in ballistic wax.
Left: meplat
Right: round nose
A6532ECB-498F-471A-A510-201149F00D87.jpeg
Jig
F5AF023A-DD9A-41B2-8CB3-7CD00B6E42C0.jpeg

A wide meplat is just as good as a bullet that expands. It's why hard cast bullets work.

Pictures say it all.

I bought a tool years ago. I have to look for it. But you insert the 22 into it and file down the round nose to create the meplate. It supposed to improve accuracy? All I know is squirrels hated them!:lewis:

I never discuss meplat because I'm never sure how to pronounce it.
:D Glad I'm not the only one. I call it Mee Plat

Just like sabots.... some people pronounce it say-bows, many pronounce sab-its ....

Leupold .... lou pold, many say Leo Pold

None the less, very impressive picture! :lewis:

Here's the tool I was talking about. I don't think it's still available. It was called the Hanes SGB. Like I said, I can't remember if it improved accuracy like they advertised although I know my groups were not impacted, but the squirrels sure hated them. While I never hunted anything larger than squirrels, I'm sure they would be more effective on game larger than squirrels, eg woodchucks, foxes.

IMG_6701.JPGIMG_6700.JPGIMG_6699.JPGIMG_6699.JPGIMG_6698.JPG

Makes a lot of sense. Ive been whacking squirrels with my new found entertainment a .177 pellet gun. I get real dramatic results on squirrels with it (the pellet gun). Then I took my 10/22 out and watched a squirrel run 30 yards and hang on a tree for 15 seconds before caving in. More than once. Even with the fraction of the power of a .22 my .177 10 grain pellet kills squirrels quicker.

I still describe the photo as - Hydrostatic Shock
Is that the same as today’s - Terminal Performance?

Here's the tool I was talking about. I don't think it's still available. It was called the Hanes SGB. Like I said, I can't remember if it improved accuracy like they advertised although I know my groups were not impacted, but the squirrels sure hated them. While I never hunted anything larger than squirrels, I'm sure they would be more effective on game larger than squirrels, eg woodchucks, foxes.

View attachment 8654View attachment 8655View attachment 8656View attachment 8656View attachment 8657

Here is a Similar Tool, that you can do quite a bit more with, Called the Paco Kelly’s Acu’Rzr Bullet Tool

https://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/paco-kelly’s-acu’rzr-bullet-tool/
gSN9GBG.jpg

N0qkWXk.jpg

I'd love to find one of those tools/jigs.
Drill a hole in a piece of steel that’s the thickness you need - you could probably do it with a piece of hardwood.
If you can counterbore for the rim, great - if not, set it on a piece of wood. File away. Lead is easy to file.

Last edited:
Drill a hole in a piece of steel that’s the thickness you need - you could probably do it with a piece of hardwood.
If you can counterbore for the rim, great - if not, set it in a piece of wood. File away. Lead is easy to file.

I was just researching it and found where some were doing like you said. I'll have to give it a try.

If you look around you may be able to find the old "Hanned" tool had a couple years ago that worked on 6.5 ammo and think it was 303, mostly for fmj to flat tip but it worked on lead also, I forget now how large they made them

Be interesting to see a hollow point stuck into the mix. My 2 cents goes on the meplat...

Back