RUNNING A PATCH

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TiggerLueb

Reaction score
As I read some of the posts about what some of you do between shots on the range I have a question or would like some clarification?
Those of you that use Windex type products, I am assuming that you are wetting a patch then putting it on a jag to swob the barrel?
What is your success rate with keeping the patch on the jag?
Or is there a better implement to put on the ramrod to do this?
I am also concerned about running a dry patch after the Windex and not loosing the patch in the barrel.

In any gun the jag should hold the patch, damp or dry. I've never lost a patch in a barrel. I suppose it can happen but they make a nifty end for the rod to grab onto a vagrant patch should one stay in the barrel. Or just pop a cap in the event you're using a side lock. On in-lines just pop the plug and knock it out with the rod.

I actually have had a patch to come off the jag while cleaning a sidelock. The worm attachment is a must have in your possibles bag!
When using windex to swab make sure all of the liquid is squeezed out prior to loading or the powder will not ignite.

If you have the proper jag your patches should stay on it. But sometimes they do come off. You should have a patch worm in your bag for such an iccasion. And just another tidbit. If you shoot a sidelock you should also have a bullet puller in your bag.

What size cleaning patch are you using, and are you sure your jag isn't the wrong size for the caliber of rifle your having trouble with? I don't think Windex would be part of the culprit. Calipers would be a good idea for verifying your jag diameter.
Like the others said, a patch worm is a good idea to have in your shooting supplies. I haven't needed mine yet, but it's there just in case.

I use a smokeless tobacco tin for windex on with precut 2” cotton patches.
Put patches in tin add windex squeeze out excess so patch is damp not wet.
Cover and you are ready for that nasty crud ring.
My ”tin” is actually plastic and seals fairly tight so the patches stay damp.

I shoot mostly BP so I just spit patch after ever shot. Run it up and down several times
and flip it over and run the dry side up and down several times. It takes very little time
and the sabot slides down easily. I do carry a worm and a bullet puller just in case.

I keep all my patches dry and a couple of old squeezable oil bottles(Hoppes #9 bottles when they're emptied) when ) with the windex in them to put on a patch when i need it. Ive got a couple of old #11 tins that i keep packed with bullet lube for just in case

Last edited:
I mist my patch lightly with the spray bottle, once down, flip it, down again. I follow with a dry patch, down once, flip it and down again, pop one cap and never had a problem. I have lost a patch or two over the years, a patch worm, or an undersized bronze brush will grab it and get it out. I use 2” square patches and they fit pretty tight. Sometimes I have to cut the corners off to get them to go without a fight. I have a pair of scissors in my tackle box for just that purpose.

Thank you so much for all the information that you have shared with me on this question. I do have the appropriate jags for the calibers that I shoot. A patch worm is on order and be here in a few days. I am not digging through the trash to find something to carry the window cleaning solution.

Have a Great Weekend!

If you lose a patch in the barrel use a brush for a 22 cal rifel to get it out. The bristles will grip it and pull it out.

Latest posts

Back