rusted ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2016

Reaction score
my buddy gave me a cva buckhorn he hasn't cleaned in over a year and the breech plugs stuck. the muzzle has some rust on it but not sure how the barrel looks. how can I get the plug out and what's the odds this things junk?

The way to find out.
Get Evapo - rust from auto parts store plug BP fill barrel and let stand for a day, should clean it right up flush out several times with hot water then add a real good penetrating oil and let it soak down into the BP for a couple of days.

it will probably shoot OK. Just not look too pretty.

The Evaporust will do the job. I've been able to get all stuck plugs out to date by heating the plug in boiling water and then cranking on it.

Not sure on the Buckhorn. I think it's a break action which may need to be dissembled.

LarryBud said:
it will probably shoot OK. Just not look too pretty.

The Evaporust will do the job. I've been able to get all stuck plugs out to date by heating the plug in boiling water and then cranking on it.

Not sure on the Buckhorn. I think it's a break action which may need to be dissembled.
Buckhorn is a bolt type action and the plug needs a special flat head type wrench to get it out. He says he used anti seize tape on it so we will see.

the outside of the barrel just has some surface rust I can get off with steel wool but the actual muzzle has a lot of it that I would need a grinder. LOL. I don't want to sink a lot of money in it because im giving it to my brother or using as a loaner rifle.

If no luck after the boiling water treatment or doused in penetrating oil overnight, try this.
Put the barrel in your food-freezer for a day...... then crank on it. Boiling water expands the metal and that sometimes cracks the seizing seal. Barrel temps around zero degrees do the opposite.... contract the metal and that may give you a fraction of relief.

I've always had the best luck soaking the barrel in Kroil overnight, then putting the barrel in a vice and using a socket and ratchet, constantly tap the end of the ratchet with a hammer, never more than moderate contact.

Back