Rusty/pitted MK-85

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bought walnut stocked MK-85 from psjoden in classifieds knowing barrel was trashed..
Used Montano Bore Bright polish on it plus Hoppes#9 and flushed barrel out w/super hot water etc..
took it out and shot it with 65 gr Grafs 3f w/.54 wad and some Gunbroker 460 gr conicals that had been sized by pushing thru a old piece of knight barrel I had laying around..Also was using open sights so this is pretty good as I can hardly see them anymore. 1st 3 shots are just a bit over 1 in. ctc. and the 4th shot was due to fact I forgot to load powder in gun and had to take apart and get bullet out. Not sure if I pulled it or if taking gun apart did it..
But the fact is its very accurate even though barrel is rough as a gravel road. Forgot distance was either 52 0r 54 yds.

2h2pjxl.jpg

dbowling said:
Bought walnut stocked MK-85 from psjoden in classifieds knowing barrel was trashed..
Used Montano Bore Bright polish on it plus Hoppes#9 and flushed barrel out w/super hot water etc..
took it out and shot it with 65 gr Grafs 3f w/.54 wad and some Gunbroker 460 gr conicals that had been sized by pushing thru a old piece of knight barrel I had laying around.. 1st 3 shots are just a bit over 1 in. ctc. and the 4th shot was due to fact I forgot to load powder in gun and had to take apart and get bullet out. Not sure if I pulled it or if taking gun apart did it..
But the fact is its very accurate even though barrel is rough as a gravel road. Forgot distance was either 52 0r 54 yds.

2h2pjxl.jpg

You know, I have very simular results with reclaiming pitted bores and I feel really good about that. One thing that I do is after the barrel is worked and thoroughly cleaned I then treat the bore with Bore Tek ceramics to seal the pits as well as the bore.

I am shooting a Knight Super DISC that I picked up with a pitted bore. I would shoot that rifle right along with any pristine fast twist 45...

Mike,
I think I may order some but 1st going to get some more bore polish and use it as I ran out before I was really finished with it..

sabotloader said:
dbowling said:
took it out and shot it with 65 gr Grafs 3f w/.54 wad and some Gunbroker 460 gr conicals that had been sized by pushing thru a old piece of knight barrel I had laying around.. 1st 3 shots are just a bit over 1 in. ctc. and the 4th shot was due to fact I forgot to load powder in gun and had to take apart and get bullet out. Not sure if I pulled it or if taking gun apart did it..

2h2pjxl.jpg

You know, I have very simular results with reclaiming pitted bores and I feel really good about that. One thing that I do is after the barrel is worked and thoroughly cleaned I then treat the bore with Bore Tek ceramics to seal the pits as well as the bore.

I am shooting a Knight Super DISC that I picked up with a pitted bore. I would shoot that rifle right along with any pristine fast twist 45...

dbowling said:
Mike,
I think I may order some but 1st going to get some more bore polish and use it as I ran out before I was really finished with it..

For me, the big thing and Ireally do not like using them - but the use of copper bore brush to make sure I cleaning the bottom of the pits to remove any/all fouling & rust.

In the old days I used blueing in the bore to help prevent rusting... today I really think the ceramic sealer is the way to go.

hopefully when all said/done it will be smoother, shot 4 shots w/o swabbing which is plenty for hunting but you could feel it dragging on every bump in the barrel. I may just order some evaporust and let sit in barrel for a couple days..then oil/polish barrel some more, strip it clean again then use the ceramic coating.. seems like a lot of work for a junk barrel but it shoots to good to just trash it.

sabotloader said:
dbowling said:
Mike,

For me, the big thing and Ireally do not like using them - but the use of copper bore brush to make sure I cleaning the bottom of the pits to remove any/all fouling & rust.

In the old days I used blueing in the bore to help prevent rusting... today I really think the ceramic sealer is the way to go.

dbowling said:
hopefully when all said/done it will be smoother, shot 4 shots w/o swabbing which is plenty for hunting but you could feel it dragging on every bump in the barrel. I may just order some evaporust and let sit in barrel for a couple days..then oil/polish barrel some more, strip it clean again then use the ceramic coating.. seems like a lot of work for a junk barrel but it shoots to good to just trash it.

Go for it!

ordered a gallon of the evaporust and some bore brushes, mops and Dynatek coating, we will see how she turns out.

sabotloader said:
dbowling said:

Go for it!

Latest posts

Back