Sabbot question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can but may need to downsize the ball size slightly. Someone offers a sabot/roundball combo but the maker's name slips my mind right now.

Years ago I played around with shooting .45 round ball with a .50 cal/.45 sabot over 50grn 2f black w/ no 11 cap in my old tc thunderhawk shadow. Shot great out to 50 yrds w/ iron sights. It was cheap smoke and really fun

Been known to load a .457 ball in a Harvester crush rib 45/50 sabot. I put a wad underneath the ball as a cushion. Otherwise, it gets a bit skwooshed. You can also run it through a .452 sizer for a bit more bearing surface.
I find the need for at least a 50 grain charge of 3f, or the sabot doesn't obturate and you get a bore full of silly string.
Nice plinking load, that will cancel a woodchuck's life subscription pretty neatly.

OK I found two different kind of sabot aka poly patch both for .490 round ball I have them packed and will ship to you Monday good luck with them

There's a place on the web, bonanza, say they have one pack of 50 poly patches. Must be made of gold $87.88 for the 50.

Optics planet.com an deer Creek has them 50 cal. 485 hard ball like 12 or 13 dollars a nox

FWIW
About 15 years ago, I tested some cast .360 round balls, lightly lubed and pressed into a .45/357 sabot, then shot from a TC Omega. I kept increasing the powder charge all the way to 150 grains(Volume) Pyrodex RS. I was amazed that they were still accurate from a 1 in 28 inch twist.

IIRC the muzzle velocity was 2800+ but don't hold me to that exactly, my memory isn't what it was. I do know they were the fastest Pyrodex fueled projectiles I've ever shot. Were these loads needed or practical? No, but they were fun to plink with.

I used them out to 25-30 yards on garden pests and armadillos. The little balls shot like a laser beam and if I missed the varmint, they seemed to vaporize on contact with the ground. I test fired one 10' straight down into rain-soaked lawn. The crater was almost as big as my fist, and if I found any lead it was just few tiny specks.

Latest posts

Back