Saber Tooth Belted Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alrayg1954

Reaction score
I am new to this forum, have browsed a lot of the threads and have found the information very useful. Thanks!!!

I ran across some bullets (I believe at BassPro Shop web site), Saber Tooth Belted Muzzlerloader Bullets from C&D Special Products. They looked similar to Powerbelts but at about half the price. Has anybody heard of these bullets, tried them or have any experience using them?

Thanks!!

No personal experience but most of the regular postings that have mentioned them have indicated good results. Like any bullet though, not much of a way to say how it's going to do in your particular rifle.

I have killed four deer in the past two year using the 300 gr. sabertooths. In '04 with two broadside shots these bullets went completely through both sides and left big holes, both were about 50 yd. shots.

In '05 I had two frontal shots at two bucks, one was shot in the brisket and turned, ran ten yards and collapsed. The heart was ripped open like a tin can. The other was shot in front of the right shoulder, bullet went into chest cavity, both left big holes in the chest, but didn't exit. I didn't find either of these bullets, must of been in the gut pile somewhere, and no bullet fragments like with powerbelts. Both of these shots were at 20-30 yds.

I'm using them in the .50 Encore with 110grs. of T7 2Fg. Good groups for hunting, but wanted better accuracy. I found a loose bolt on the Encore frame which most likely was my problem and will shoot somemore tomorrow.

I also got some 300 XTP's/Harvester crushrib sabots to shoot as well. Which one gives the better groups will most likely be my bullet this year in the Encore. :lol:

Thank you! for all the useful info especially the actual use experience!! javascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy

Just to followup, I shot the 300 XTP's/crushribs and at 100 yds. got the best groups the Encore has ever shot since I have had it!! 8) I was using two pyrodex pellets this time as well.

The sabertooths got 1" groups at 100 yds., but when I shot the XTP's and they started grouping I stayed with them. Last four shots with the XTP's were inside the bull, three were touching and one was 1/2" to right. :D

It was really warm today, 78 degrees, some wind as well.

I've never heard a bad report on the Saber Tooth's, but they don't seem to have caught on for some reason. You definitely won't go wrong with the XTPs.

Hey man, good to hear from you! I don't know why the sabertooths didn't take off, nobody has even heard of them here locally.

I see you got some of the 300 XTP's and Harvester crushribs in your ebay store, cool! I saved your site in my account for next time I need some. Thats a good price on them too, by the way! 8)

Thanks everybody for all the info!!

I too bookmarked your (HokieHunter) e-bay site.

Back