sabot condition after being shot?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalberg

Reaction score
Can looking at a sabot after being shot tell me something? I shot 50 caliber Hornady 250 grain SST, with 3 different sabots. Hornady Red Low Drag, T-C Super Glides and Harvester Crushribs. The Low Drags had opened up nice, all three petals equal, the Super Glides had 1 of the two petals tore off or at least starting to tear off. The Harvesters had 3 of the four petals opened up flat but one was almost always standing up. All shots were with 90 grains of T-7 pellets. The Hornadys loaded the easiest with the Harvester being a close second and the T-C were the hardest. I thought it was odd because that is exactly how they grouped also. Hornady sabot first, Harvester sabot second and Super glides third. Just got me thinking maybe this should be telling me something. The gun was a CVA wolf. Any comments or suggestions. Thanks
Doug

sabots

I am of the opinion[ no definative evidence] that when a sabot opens evenly there is less interference imparted to the projectile, hense better accuracy. It sure has seemed that way to me in my TC's and knight any way. I've had the best luck with the harvesters opening evenly and there appears to be less splitting of the bases
Wayles

I must admit that I don't really care what the sabots look like--what matters is accuracy and if a load shoots well, but the sabots have broken off petals etc. and don't "look" good, I don't worry about it.

200 grn SST's and Shockwaves shoot very well in my two Omegas, but the Blue MMP sabots often have broken petals and don't open "evenly." That's OK when they shoot into an inch at 100 yds. with 777 or BH209.

Harvester sabots with .430 300 grn XTP's look good and shoot good, and green MMPS looked good with the same XTP bullet, but shot poorly...

I don't even look for sabots on the range anymore--I just look at the targets :wink:

Just my .02

I just thought it was odd that there was a progression in the looks as to how they grouped. It makes me wonder how my best grouping bullet so far will shoot with BH 209. They are he loosest of all, the Hornady Low Drag, I seem to be reading that BH likes a tight fitting sabot, the tightest fitting bullets seem to shoot the worst for me so far.
Doug

must admit that I don't really care what the sabots look like--what matters is accuracy and if a load shoots well, but the sabots have broken off petals etc. and don't "look" good, I don't worry about it.

Good answer! The sabots conditions means NOTHING IMO.. Holes in the target mean EVERYTHING!

I've looked at spent sabots as a curiosity, nothing more.

I must admit that I don't really care what the sabots look like--what matters is accuracy and if a load shoots well, but the sabots have broken off petals etc. and don't "look" good, I don't worry about it.

Same here. Never really took the time to look at them. It they shoot well that is all that matters.

I don't know, I kind of read them as if the sabot is getting shreaded I may need a wad or a sub base under the sabot. It can show if the sabot is sliding in the bore. Typically, these are for troubleshooting a bad group. If you have a load that shoots well and all of a sudden it goes to pot, I would examine the sabots.

Granted if the group is good, I don't care what the stuff looks like.

Back