Sabot mystery

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiner200gr

Reaction score
Never had anyone to ask about this, so I'm picking on you guys!
I was working up loads and sight settings a couple years ago with my CVA Accura V2 .50, and had something weird happen. I was using Barnes TEZ 250's with 110 gr. of loose triple 777. The 200 yard target was not particularly good and when I went out and pulled it there was a curl of blue sabot plastic stuck to the edge of a bullet hole!! It was about the thickness of say 30lb mono fishing line and about 1/2 inch long. Now how in the h___ could that happen and what could cause it? I mentioned this here before and nobody jumped up and offered an explanation....how about it.

Sounds like a really tight fit maybe? I was testing sabots in my accura a couple years ago . I was shooting the Harvester crush rib and someone said to try the smooth version so I did and my results were the same. WAY too tight and the sabot hit the target. Been shooting the crush rib ever since. thumbnail_Picture0628190730_1.jpg

Probably not from the blue sabot, but most likely it's from the blue tip on the TEZ bullet.
bGNaif1.jpg

Be maybe a bit easier to rationalize it being off the tip, but my target was basically tacked with no backing at all as the wood had been shot away in that area of the backer so it was just paper hanging there.....had to be sabot petal material. Just can't figure out how it could have stayed with the bullet.

I see 5 tears that appear to be sabot petals yet the sabot has only 4. Its just blowout from the bullet's impact on the paper. If it was a sabot it would have been one lopsided sabot.

If the sabot bullet combo loads hard he lands can shave some of the sabot off. I saw this when I shot 275gn .458 dia Bloodline in my UL. You could see sabot shavings at the muzzle. Maybe a shaving stuck to the bullet? Was it only the one shot?

Yes, I only saw this once, but it really made me wonder how I could be expecting accuracy out of bullets that had plastic stuck to them. I guess it will remain a mystery unless someone here comes up with a reasonable answer.

I just unloaded my mz as hunting season is done. There was a fine ribbon of blue plastic that was cut on the bullet from the tip. I unloaded it with a ramrod and the breech plug removed. The bullet was a tmz from Barnes.

Brad, can you ge
I just unloaded my mz as hunting season is done. There was a fine ribbon of blue plastic that was cut on the bullet from the tip. I unloaded it with a ramrod and the breech plug removed. The bullet was a tmz from Barnes.

t us a picture?

Improper loading jag is damaging the plastic tip.

Perhaps in Brad's case, but not in mine as I had purchased a jag specially made for the Barnes bullets.

this is the bullet i picked off a large chunk of plastic when it came out of the bore. i did notice that several other bullets in this pack of barnes had oversize tips with some pieces hanging over on to the bullet. I picked those off.(ocd)

Attachments

• tmz.jpg
    tmz.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 43
Great Brad, you got it! The piece I found was formed at the juncture of the ballistic tip and the jacket. That would account for it's size and length and ability to hang on for the ride out to the 200 yard butt. Not part of the sabot at all. If I hadn't quit drinking I'd have one on you lol.
Thanks

This is what I use to load the Barnes T-EZ bullets. The Barnes bullet jag ensures a uniform load each time.

8iZ62lJh.jpg

Last edited:
Back