Sabot residue removal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have shot hundreds of sabots and have never noticed any real buildup. I brush the barrel on occasion with a bore brush dipped in Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber. Then a couple patches of this and then patch the bore dry. Like I said, never saw a buildup. These new sabots are a far superior compound compared to the original ones.

I use Remington 40X bore cleaner for cleaning my rifled shotgun barrel and have used the same on my ML as well. The only time I have actually seen residue was when shootig on a hot day and I began to have sabot failures, heat related failures.

I've scrubbed it out many times after I've shot a thousand or so rounds and I can certainly say, there was sabot residue remaining. On one of my Encores, I brushed it out one time with if I remember correctly, brake parts cleaner. For a lack of better words, it was a mess but, it cleaned it out, enough that it changed my P.O.I. pretty seriously.

I shot 40 rounds yesterday and cleaning was easy and the patches came out clean. However..... I decided to take the brass brush to it after it appeared clean. Once I started with the brass brush, it took me close to three hours brushing/cleaning to get it spick and span. I shoot BH209 exclusively.

Was wondering if anyone had used this: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1993 ... OT-SOLVENT

I have no doubt it happens. Thats why anytime i think i had a sabot failure i give it a bit more scrubbing and use the MX Copper Cream occasionally. Ive seen shotguns with what appeared to be wad fouling. Ive just never had what appears to be a build up with my normal cleaning routine.

Modern sabot do not normally leave plastic melted to the barrel, the old plastic they used some years ago could. If you shoot smokeless that's a different story as it burns a magnitude hotter. If you should get some old sabots the same remover for plastic that the shot gunners use will take it out.Some loads that are to tight or a barrel that has some ruff spots in it will leave some shreds of plastic behind this is not the same thing as melting it to the barrel, this will come out with a normal hot water and soap cleaning.

Thanks guys. Looking for different opinions/suggestions/recommendations. I see that there are some that feel it isn't significent, while others notice it.

This Pro Hunter has never had anything shot out of it besides BH209, which I clean with either Hoppe's or Montana. Montana being what I normally use with a nylon bore brush. However this time, I took the extra time doing a deep cleaning of the barrel with a brass brush. It took a considerable amount of time to clean that barrel and it certainly wasn't powder residue. Its totally spic and span now but it took some work.

Thanks guys. Looking for different opinions/suggestions/recommendations. I see that there are some that feel it isn't significent, while others notice it.

This Pro Hunter has never had anything shot out of it besides BH209, which I clean with either Hoppe's or Montana. Montana being what I normally use with a nylon bore brush. However this time, I took the extra time doing a deep cleaning of the barrel with a brass brush. It took a considerable amount of time to clean that barrel and it certainly wasn't powder residue. Its totally spic and span now but it took some work.
How do you feel these days about plastic in a smokeless

In the over 40 years I have been shooting sabots, rifle barreled shotguns and muzzleloaders, I have never experienced sabot fouling of any kind. When I stepped into the smokeless world, I guess I thought about it since velocities and perhaps ignition heat were different from what I was accustomed to but I have yet to find any evidence of it. When I get the Patriot home from the range I run 1 hoppes dampened patch down the pipe a couple times and t comes back fairly clean yet. Then a dry patch which comes back clean. Then a peek thru the pipe from the breech end and its as slick as colonoscopy prepped colon....no plastic. The Accura V2 .50, Optima V2 .50 pistol and the Kodiak .45 clean up the same and all three of these are shooting less than mild loads..

Back