Sabot residue removal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely had a failure of some sort.
I suspect that with everything I did to seal up the sabot I did a great job maybe to good.
When I did my original work up the sabot was being "sized " by the barrel on entry
My velocity was modest.
Now with that problem corrected the load force is greater the velocity is a couple hundred ft sec faster out side the parameters of sabot velocity so I am reworking to get into the velocity zone I need to be in.
I think the tightness of my particular bore and the added velocity has caused my issues.
I'm thinking when I get the load and possibly the sabot preasure backed down I'll get the results I'm looking for.
Time will tell.

I have a friend in Ark. that shoots sabots up to 2600 out of his .45 . Never blows sabots, he takes 15 minutes between shots as the temps rise. I have not blown any sabots now that i went to that. Don't let any of your sabots get too warm or hot by the sun.

My free Traditions inline was given to me because it wouldn't shoot. I still have the original box of sabots & bullet combination owner #1 used. When I saw how cruddy his barrel was I went to work scrubbing it. It now has the cleanest barrel on any of my muzzleloaders and it is quite accurate with the black harvester sabots and the 45 cal Hornady XTP bullets. In the process of cleaning it the first time, plastic residue was visible on the patches that were run through the bore.

Last edited:
Back