Sabots in my Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
250 grain 45 caliber Hornady XTP's Harvester crush ribs and 70 grains of 3f Swiss.
3 shots at 50 yards were an inch and a half. NOT hard to take! Sabots had 2 lands per petal and were in great shape. They also loaded TIGHT.
Patched balls shot well with .015 patches. .010s were shredding and the .015s were too. Didn't stop them from going into an inch and seven sixteenths for 3 at 50. This is a literally new barrel...
I have a mold for the Lee 500-360 minie. Actual weight is 375 grains though... My bud shot some from his Traditions Hawken and got some FINE groups. No fuss either. Gonna try them in my Hawken soon.
Need to shoot the other factory barrel. Hope its a winner too!

Good shooting CR, that barrel will be a “one holer” once it’s broke in.

Fingers crossed. I have a 2nd unfired barrel to try too.
If I can get her to stop misfiring after the 3rd shot... She doesn't have a clean out screw. Right now, my Renegade flintlock is more reliable!
Gonna have at the patent breech with some steel wool on a brush. I'm VERY particular about cleaning my rifles, so this is a mystery. Her first range trip, 10 rounds, went without a hiccup. Now, she'll miss in rounds #4 and 7. Priming the nipple doesn't work. Have to pull the nipple and dribble in some 4f. I damp patch with r.a. and a dry patch between shots.
Never had this issue with a TC sidelock before.

try picking the nipple sometimes they get a heavy soot across the hole that will cause a misfire every now and then when shooting.

The recess in the bolster, under the nipple, isn't cut as deeply as my other factory barrel. That one extends to the bottom of the flash channel. The problem child doesn't quite make it half way.
Guess I have some work to do. Carefully!
This silly thing is growing on me.

Back