Salmon Season..

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Almost Salmon Season Again.....

Coho

JeffCoho1.jpg

Steelie

jeffsteelheadrayspage.jpg

King

JeffSalmonRiver2003.jpg

King

Jeff23lbKing1.jpg

Spring Steelie.....caught in 1600 cfs flow..what a beast!

jeffspringsteelhead.jpg

Jcchartboy on the Salmon River NY

JeffOct1.jpg

KnotTying.jpg

jeffcoffeebnw1.jpg

Great Pics!!! What would be the investment cost for an average fly fishing rig to get started?

For you Veni.... I have all the gear, if you would like to try it. I can probably even put together 2 full rigs if you would like to go with me.

Cost..
First, let me make it clear that 99% of the fly fisherman on the Salmon River are using the "chuck and duck" method.

This means that you can either choose to buy gear specifically for this technique, or buy gear that is meant for traditional flyfishing.

The difference being that chuck and duck involves adding a substantial amount of weight to the leader.
Therefore you will find that there is no need for a quality traditional flyfishing rod specifically for this type of fishing.(the weight loads the rod in chuck and duck, as opposed to the flyline in traditional casting).

If you will have a use for a quality setup then it would be in your interest to buy the better setup that will not only chuck and duck, but would also be usefull for traditional casting. (In your case Jim it could double as a Striper/Bluefish rod).

Either setup utilizes the came line...cost is about 25$

Chuck and Duck rod...
Lamiglass.....100$

Chuck and Duck reel...
Okuma.....70$

The above setup would last a lifetime and would be top quality rig as far as simple chuck and duck rigs go. If you were on a budget the price could be cut in half.

The price for a quality traditional rig is almost limitless.

them were some nice fish. That looks like a lot of fun....

Good luck on your upcoming season. :partyman:

Jeff,
Great pictures. Here my son and I at the same river in Nov. 2003.

Img10Small.jpg

Back