Savage smokeless ML

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick McChristy

Reaction score
What is the going rate for a reasonable 10ml or 10-ii going for? My dad has decided he wants a smokeless muzzleloader but i have seen prices all over. Can any be had for 5-$600 or is that just too low? I have seen a few priced at 800+ but at 800 maybe a converted 45-70 makes more sense for him. Tell me your thoughts.

Also does a 10ml need to go thru FFL when shipping?

What is the going rate for a reasonable 10ml or 10-ii going for? My dad has decided he wants a smokeless muzzleloader but i have seen prices all over. Can any be had for 5-$600 or is that just too low? I have seen a few priced at 800+ but at 800 maybe a converted 45-70 makes more sense for him. Tell me your thoughts.

Also does a 10ml need to go thru FFL when shipping?
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/957635335

And, yes, I believe the original 10ml (I wouldn’t buy one though) would have to go via a dealer.

I would highly recommend taking a look at a Woodman Arms smokeless .45 barrel for an Omega (or the Woodman Patriot rifle) if he’s looking for a light smokeless load build. Depends on what he’s looking to do with it.

If I didn't already have a couple smokeless ML's (a Savage ML II being one of them), and depending on the distance I wanted to shoot, I would probably take a good look at a Woodman Patriot as well. I don't know if the barrels Woodman Arms produces allow for bullet to bore shooting, but I find it much more accurate. Keep in mind, you generally get what you pay for as well. My Savage ML II is a good rifle, but finicky with bullets/powder/sabot combinations. It took a great deal of experimenting before I found something the gun really liked, and performed to my expectations. As for price of a Savage ML II, generally I think $800 is going to be the low end.

Still considering spinning off my Pacnor 45 and replacing it with a 40cal 1-16. I just wanna shoot 225gr-250gr sabotless with milder amounts of 4198. Say 2500ish fps is plenty for my needs and easy on the powder. This would be a 209 also but i would upgrade to a rear sealing plug.

Just 56gr will get a 225gr going about 2800fps in a 40cal but that is starting to get a bit hot for a barrel nut build.

Still considering spinning off my Pacnor 45 and replacing it with a 40cal 1-16. I just wanna shoot 225gr-250gr sabotless with milder amounts of 4198. Say 2500ish fps is plenty for my needs and easy on the powder. This would be a 209 also but i would upgrade to a rear sealing plug.

Just 56gr will get a 225gr going about 2800fps in a 40cal but that is starting to get a bit hot for a barrel nut build.

What kind of pressure are you expecting, and what do you think is the maximum pressure for a 209 primer?

I sold one of my plain jane Sav 10mls last year for $550 but it was a plastic stocked one and still used a vent liner.
That's good to know. I've been out of the game a while . What is everyone using besides vent liners now? Modified breech plugs? Newbie again..

From the OP "What is the going rate for a reasonable 10ml or 10-ii going for?"
I focused on the term "reasonable". That may be subjective to the buyer as to price ,but I'd say your findings are correct.
You might in time find one for $500 if you wait. Seasons of course affect $. Like months before big game hunting seasons.
There's a duck for every pond. Matter of patience.

HV is correct on the the early 10ML. It is a center fire receiver. Easily identified with bolt locking lugs.
Original had a goofy breech plug that took a steel primer adapter.
Nothing wrong with them at all. Makes a strong candidate for re-barreling ( and easy to do ) as I have done on several.
Still have two.
I've owned several 10MLII's with the Accu trigger too. All have shot very well with no issues.
Sold some because hunting buddies bugged me to no end wanting to buy them. I caved, LOL

Back