School me on BH 209 in a 45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wolfer youll also want to compress that powder charge before the bullet is seated . I use a powder packer tool that the spring unseats @ 75lbs when pushing the ram rod down .

I don't use anywhere near that kind of force. However, I always reload even if a deer is down. I'm old and have seen lots of "dead" deer suddenly need another dose. So if yoiu're a packer, you might be screwed if that happens to you...accuracy and all.

I always put at least 75# of force when seating on BH209 and have never had any trouble, I just lean on on ramrod with one of those little silicone T handles. This is with bullet/sabot on powder, no need to pack powder before hand. With lead conical not quiet as much force but sill very firm.

As far as your nephew goes what would be his longest shot while hunting? If I owned that Rem. 45cal I would be shooting full bore CONICALS with a felt wad for sure. Nothing like knockdown power on any animal like big lead conicals 395gr to 465gr. Its like hunting with a bolt of lightning. I prefer big lead to anything else bar none.

As far as your nephew goes what would be his longest shot while hunting? If I owned that Rem. 45cal I would be shooting full bore CONICALS with a felt wad for sure. Nothing like knockdown power on any animal like big lead conicals 395gr to 465gr. Its like hunting with a bolt of lightning. I prefer big lead to anything else bar none.
I have to agree there . The big freight train is definately effective to about 200 anyways . Probably the best suggestion vs range yet for a smoker .

I don't use anywhere near that kind of force. However, I always reload even if a deer is down. I'm old and have seen lots of "dead" deer suddenly need another dose. So if yoiu're a packer, you might be screwed if that happens to you...accuracy and all.
Oh mr tom i do reload too . Packer and all . I got it down pretty good by now . That reload is just common sense . Ive lost deer by it hopping a fence onto state land off our lease too . Got pushed around by 6 with loaded guns as my 8pt got tagged by one of those "gentlemen" . I dont hunt close to any fences anymore either . Even with a 3/4 inch hole thru that heart and out the other side my 1187 was helpless for that lesson .

Wolfer that conversion kit will be like night and day in that 700ml . Sorry i kinda forgot youre a smokeless guy these days and already know this !!! Lol , pay attention Sideshow !!! Oh well i see it all the time .
That omega is no slouch either especially if he is a stalker with future plans to follow his uncle down the sml route . I really dont think id mainly focus on that Rem completely . IF he does use big lead he will give up far less with it in range vs a 45 and possibly have an option for elk too . Thats pretty darn sexy right there !!! You never know what the future holds for him . Things are also MUCH easier to find for a 50 at least in Michigan . 45 stuff is almost non exsistant here !!! I dont have a omega but i sure like them !!! Extremely well thought out platform and lite !!!

Current update on load testing.
Shooting the Omega. The .458X300 Speers in BCR are almost impossible to load. The 300 XTP in SBH load tight enuf but accuracy not so good. The 200X40 SST and 225X40 star tip Fury, in dark blue sabot both shot good accuracy. All loads were 70 grain by weight = 100 by volume. Have some 225 grain .452 FTX and some .451 X 250 Fury star tip, and some .452 X 300 Speer deep curl yet to try. Even dug out some green sabots and some .430 X 265 and 270 grain bullets from my early SML trials back in 2010 era. Also picked up a pack of clearance "Cheap Shots", soft lead HP, in 240 grains to push down range too. A bit more range time with the Omega and I'll have a couple useable loadings.

Then on to the 45 Rem 700ML range trial. Not a lot to go through there. HSB with 200X40 SST or XTP or 225X40 Fury. Guess could get a pak of "belted" bullets to try but not hopeful they do so good with the BH209. Anybody try the 45 "belted" bullets in a 45 with the BH209???

Since new to BH209 finding that bore needs cleaning after 3 to 5 shots. And that it shoots 1st shot better on a clean bore if the clean bore is "squib seasoned".

More updates as move through the process.

Safety 1st, then accuracy. W

Last edited:
Wolfer...i think....if you want to shoot 458s in an Omega, the HBCR is not gunna work for you. You will need the new Harvester sabot made for 458s but im guessing its also going to be rather tight. A solution i worked up is a cheap Lee .454 sizing die. Bullets like the Sierra 458 300gr go through it like butter. Super easy to size them and the die is cheap. Typically the good fit for many T/Cs are the HBCR sabot and a .451 or .452 bullet or Green CR and a .429 bullet.

If you want to try super simple and effective in the 45 Rem, my personal favorite are the 330gr Gould HP bullets cast in no harder than 40-1 alloy and sized for your bore. Upto .002 over lands. So if ours is .452 lands you can use a .454 Lee die. Just 70gr of BH209 gets that moving over 1300fps and the bullet is well suited to that twist/speed. Cast in pure lead thats about 345-347gr.

Im pretty sure Dan at Bullshop sells them.

Wolfer that conversion kit will be like night and day in that 700ml . Sorry i kinda forgot youre a smokeless guy these days and already know this !!! Lol , pay attention Sideshow !!! Oh well i see it all the time .
That omega is no slouch either especially if he is a stalker with future plans to follow his uncle down the sml route . I really dont think id mainly focus on that Rem completely . IF he does use big lead he will give up far less with it in range vs a 45 and possibly have an option for elk too . Thats pretty darn sexy right there !!! You never know what the future holds for him . Things are also MUCH easier to find for a 50 at least in Michigan . 45 stuff is almost non exsistant here !!! I dont have a omega but i sure like them !!! Extremely well thought out platform and lite !!!
I got brain twisted......oops......that 1 line was supposed to say --he may give up a little range compared to a 45 but would have something for elk too . Sorry about that.......

Current update on load testing.
Shooting the Omega. The .458X300 Speers in BCR are almost impossible to load. The 300 XTP in SBH load tight enuf but accuracy not so good. The 200X40 SST and 225X40 star tip Fury, in dark blue sabot both shot good accuracy. All loads were 70 grain by weight = 100 by volume. Have some 225 grain .452 FTX and some .451 X 250 Fury star tip, and some .452 X 300 Speer deep curl yet to try. Even dug out some green sabots and some .430 X 265 and 270 grain bullets from my early SML trials back in 2010 era. Also picked up a pack of clearance "Cheap Shots", soft lead HP, in 240 grains to push down range too. A bit more range time with the Omega and I'll have a couple useable loadings.

Then on to the 45 Rem 700ML range trial. Not a lot to go through there. HSB with 200X40 SST or XTP or 225X40 Fury. Guess could get a pak of "belted" bullets to try but not hopeful they do so good with the BH209. Anybody try the 45 "belted" bullets in a 45 with the BH209???

Since new to BH209 finding that bore needs cleaning after 3 to 5 shots. And that it shoots 1st shot better on a clean bore if the clean bore is "squib seasoned".

More updates as move through the process.

Safety 1st, then accuracy. W
You talkin about the 280gr elr powerbelts ??? Cant think of what else you might mean by belted ???

Ive shot the 300gr PB Plats with BH209. They shoot very well but i would keep loads to 90grV or less. They are also quite expensive especially when you compare them to a 350gr lead conical that does virtually the same thing.

Just checked Bullshops pricing
45 Caliber ~ Lyman ~ 47122 ~ 330 grains ~ Gould ~ HP

A Gould HP bullet will be $30.75/100
Add 20% for pure lead
There will be additional cost for resizing and lube too

Love these things for the money
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/ed-350-grain-homecast-hollowpoint.27287/

Finished the testing and BH209 load search.

Wow. 1st i got the 700ML 45 with bolt nose and savage plug out and tried. Easy peasy to get moa. Started with 50 by volume just got on paper. All loads were under HSB with light knurled 200X40 SST. With 75 and 85 by volume got just over moa. At 100 volume, 70 by weight, got consistent 1 moa or less depending on me. Slick loading for 2 shots then bore swab, then a 209, then load and shoot apply cool rod and wait 5 minutes and 2nd shot. The 75, 85 and 100 volume shots at 100 yd. Scope was 4X40 fixed power Silver Antler. Winchester 209 primers. That Remington upgraded is the ticket and will be on way to WY soon. I'm thinking a better scope and it'll shoot even better. Cleaning regimen between groups was Ed's red patch in out and turn over and repeat and then in out with 2 dry patch.

Then more work with the 50 bore Omega. Have not been doing well with heavier 45 bullets. The 40X50 sabots with 200X40 SSt was pretty good. So searched the cabinet and found some stuff that gave 1.5 moa consistently. Tried some .429 X 240 deep curls and they gave better than 2 moa. Then some .429 XTP and they were close to 1 moa. Best loading was the 85 grain for 240 grain deep curl and 100 grain for the 200 XTP. All were shot in smooth green sabots. Had to trim the sabots for the 200 XTP as they were so short.

As with the 45 the testing for 50 was at 100 YD. Ambient temp was 48 F. Cool rod used for 45 and 50. 5 min or more between shots. 5-8 mph wind direct from 6 down range. Black horn 209 powder. Winchester 209 primers for the Remington 45 and Federal 209 for the Omega 50.

Well, clean everything up tomorrow and pack the 45 up to go to WY.

Everyone have a safe turkey season this spring. W

Finished the testing and BH209 load search.

Wow. 1st i got the 700ML 45 with bolt nose and savage plug out and tried. Easy peasy to get moa. Started with 50 by volume just got on paper. All loads were under HSB with light knurled 200X40 SST. With 75 and 85 by volume got just over moa. At 100 volume, 70 by weight, got consistent 1 moa or less depending on me. Slick loading for 2 shots then bore swab, then a 209, then load and shoot apply cool rod and wait 5 minutes and 2nd shot. The 75, 85 and 100 volume shots at 100 yd. Scope was 4X40 fixed power Silver Antler. Winchester 209 primers. That Remington upgraded is the ticket and will be on way to WY soon. I'm thinking a better scope and it'll shoot even better. Cleaning regimen between groups was Ed's red patch in out and turn over and repeat and then in out with 2 dry patch.

Then more work with the 50 bore Omega. Have not been doing well with heavier 45 bullets. The 40X50 sabots with 200X40 SSt was pretty good. So searched the cabinet and found some stuff that gave 1.5 moa consistently. Tried some .429 X 240 deep curls and they gave better than 2 moa. Then some .429 XTP and they were close to 1 moa. Best loading was the 85 grain for 240 grain deep curl and 100 grain for the 200 XTP. All were shot in smooth green sabots. Had to trim the sabots for the 200 XTP as they were so short.

As with the 45 the testing for 50 was at 100 YD. Ambient temp was 48 F. Cool rod used for 45 and 50. 5 min or more between shots. 5-8 mph wind direct from 6 down range. Black horn 209 powder. Winchester 209 primers for the Remington 45 and Federal 209 for the Omega 50.

Well, clean everything up tomorrow and pack the 45 up to go to WY.

Everyone have a safe turkey season this spring. W
Wolfer thanks for giving us updates and just reporting back . It is definately appreciated and extends the same back to us . Well done . Safe travels !!!!

Back