Scoping the Mosin Nagant

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
My brother spent a good deal of $$ on a Rock Solid mount for his m31-90 Mosin Nagant to scope it the RIGHT way. $170 but it looks like a great piece of work and have 3 mounting screws + a new bolt casing with a bent handle to clear the scope. Not to bad of a price but we're going to attempt installing it once we get the shop cleaned up and figure out the best way to clamp the barrel so we can drill/tap the barrel. I will take some pictures of this as we go along.

The key will be to make sure that you drill dead center on the top of the action if that is where it is supposed to mount. Sounds like an interesting project.

yeah finding the center line is always the hard part lol. After its drilled and tapped you can have to bed the top of the barrel to make sure everything is even since a lot of the russian actions were a bit rough in that area.

It will be fun though. The kit came with a premade bent bolt body so that saved a lot of time and it was done right. Its amazing how smooth the actions are once you put that bent handle on.

Well I did the stock last night and got her good. Bolt closes perfectly and down all the way. I was crapping my pants thinking that I was screwing something up by removing so much wood. I will clean it up more and shape it better once I find some stain to "repair" the area that I worked on.

The "gap" due to the bolt hitting the wood that needed to be removed.
DSCN4700.jpg

DSCN4701.jpg

DSCN4711.jpg

Done!
DSCN4712.jpg

DSCN4714.jpg

well I found a gun smith in Pueblo that has done a couple thousand scope mounts on the MN so I am taking it to him and he will drill-tap and bed the scope mount for me for $45. The mount maker doesn't give instructions worth a fudge and is telling me to buy a 3/16th center punch and so we spend $30 on one and walla! Its freakin coned and doesnt even fit into the scope mount holes so we can mark the center line on the barrel. I ask where he got his tool and he doesnt answer. I was about to send the mount back to him for a refund due to his lack of skills in proving the right info but luckily i found this smith to do it for a great price.

Gun Smoke " TV show American guns" i called up in Denver and one of the girls said no problem, it will run roughly $65 BUT we are behind in work a year and a half :affraid: Yeah i cant wait that long LOL.

well the nagant should be done today. Going to the gunsmith tomorrow and picking her up.

I was worried you were going to drill it. Hard to fix if your get it wrong.

Gunsmith did a beautiful job. We mounted a scope, put a bore sighter on it and the thing was dead center and only 3" low.
DSCN5046.jpg

DSCN5048.jpg

1941 Mosin Nagant M9130 7.62x54 Its about equal to a .308

I
mounted my scope on it as i shoot best with it, tried the bore sighter
and got it on at 50 yards. After that we were just having a ball cutting
bullet holes. The trigger is pretty stiff, i have not tried shimming it
yet but if it shoots good at 100 yards, we are going to order the
Timney trigger for it.
DSCN5065.jpg

DSCN5060.jpg

DSCN5064.jpg

The
mount and bent bolt cost more than the gun itself but hey, you want
them accurate, its best to spend the $$ on the mount and get the right
one.

needs a cheek riser, they were the only mounts I had for it. We going to buy some low mounts for it later.

Jon the 'popcorn gun' i was referring to is actually the AK , first time i've seen one with a scope

TACK DRIVER!!!

2 out of 3 shots touching at 100 yards. My first shot is what opened it up to 1" and that was a frozen barrel the next 2 shots that were overlapping were on a warm barrel, 2 shots in a row basically.

Going to try again tomorrow at 100 yards with a new target that's easier on the eyes.

Went to the store this evening and bought my brother an early christmas present. Those rings we had on were just plain junk, one screw stripped trying to remove it, luckily a little hammering on the socket gave it just enough meat to turn it out.

Got some Burris Zee rings in medium height. He wants a 24x scope on it for long range shooting and 50mm so that should clear once he buys a scope for it.

Pretty cool rings and steel. I had to tap them onto the mount and they fit like a glove.

Yeah the trouble we go through when buying stuff made from chinese tungsten.....wonder if some manufacturers have ever heard of hardening steel ?

Installed the Timney trigger today. A LOT of wood carving. The aluminum pillar on the rear section of the stock, we also had to trim a lot off of or else the sear on the trigger would hit and set it off.

Awesome trigger and well worth the $90.

Latest posts

Back