sdporter Roundball Mold Modify

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idaholewis

Reaction score
This is a shout out to Forum member, and friend of mine @sdporter for an AWESOME Job on a Lyman Roundball Mold Modify he did for me, Thank you Stacey :lewis:

To appreciate this you have to know how Horrible Lyman Roundball Mold Sprues are, They are RIDICULOUSLY Bad.

Lyman leaves the Top of their Mold Blocks “Proud” It’s to bad They don’t mill the Top of their blocks down until the top of the Roundball cavity is a “Knife edge” But FACT is they Don’t, as you can see here in this pic i red Arrowed

8miiXD0.jpg

The results are NASTY Sprue Nubs, to me this is unacceptable. I sent a Brand new Old Stock Lyman .530 Mold to a friend of mine (@sdporter ) to Mill the Top of the Blocks down for me to correct this problem, I need to get it out and Cast with it. Again, RCBS Roundball Molds are my “GO TO” They address this :lewis:

H6KdFs5.jpg

SCj7BIO.jpg

Lyman‘s Pic here is actually a Legit description
npmvpjp.jpg

Here is the Mold i sent to @sdporter and he Modified for me, He milled the Top of the Mold Blocks down til the Top of the Cavity was a Knife edge
NXxSrgP.jpg

I just got done Casting with it, They Look AWESOME! The Sprue Nub is Barely detectable now, They will completely disappear after a few minutes in my Vibratory Tumbler. Thank you MUCH Stacey, You do AWESOME Work my Friend :lewis:
GamDWRV.jpg

This is a shout out to Forum member, and friend of mine @sdporter for an AWESOME Job on a Lyman Roundball Mold Modify he did for me, Thank you Stacey :lewis:

To appreciate this you have to know how Horrible Lyman Roundball Mold Sprues are, They are RIDICULOUSLY Bad.

Lyman leaves the Top of their Mold Blocks “Proud” It’s to bad They don’t mill the Top of their blocks down until the top of the Roundball cavity is a “Knife edge” But FACT is they Don’t, as you can see here in this pic i red Arrowed

8miiXD0.jpg

The results are NASTY Sprue Nubs, to me this is unacceptable. I sent a Brand new Old Stock Lyman .530 Mold to a friend of mine (@sdporter ) to Mill the Top of the Blocks down for me to correct this problem, I need to get it out and Cast with it. Again, RCBS Roundball Molds are my “GO TO” They address this :lewis:

H6KdFs5.jpg

SCj7BIO.jpg

Lyman‘s Pic here is actually a Legit description
npmvpjp.jpg

Here is the Mold i sent to @sdporter and he Modified for me, He milled the Top of the Mold Blocks down til the Top of the Cavity was a Knife edge
NXxSrgP.jpg

I just got done Casting with it, They Look AWESOME! The Sprue Nub is Barely detectable now, They will completely disappear after a few minutes in my Vibratory Tumbler. Thank you MUCH Stacey, You do AWESOME Work my Friend :lewis:
GamDWRV.jpg
Thanks Lewis! It was my pleasure! I’m sure a video is coming forth. Hope they shoot well for you bud! I’m finally starting to get caught up to the point I can start to tinker a little bit again.

wow they should be ashamed to let a mold like that out the door
seems as though they think well we have been around for so long it ok but it's not the quality Lyman has been known for

Back